PDA

View Full Version : Weatherstrip Material

Gary Bergman
10-23-2000, 03:28 PM
Anyone know of a source for marine grade weatherstrip material? I would like to stop the rainwater flow underneath my lazarette seat in the rear of my cockpit. Looking for something more tubular than flat for a better seal. All I am finding is flat, foamy door stuff.

Gary Bergman
Anyone know of a source for marine grade weatherstrip material? I would like to stop the rainwater flow underneath my lazarette seat in the rear of my cockpit. Looking for something more tubular than flat for a better seal. All I am finding is flat, foamy door stuff.

Gary Bergman

Dave R
10-23-2000, 03:58 PM
Hi Gary, could you use silicone tubing for that? I admit I'm grasping at straws but I've been thinking that it might work for that purpose. It might even be possible to cut the tubing just a little long and inflate it a little with a syringe and then clamp it shut.

Or, how about this: seal one end with a blob of silicone caulk. Wait for that to cure. then push another blob in the opposite end, clamp it off to seal it until the silicone cures.
My .02

Dave R
Hi Gary, could you use silicone tubing for that? I admit I'm grasping at straws but I've been thinking that it might work for that purpose. It might even be possible to cut the tubing just a little long and inflate it a little with a syringe and then clamp it shut.

Or, how about this: seal one end with a blob of silicone caulk. Wait for that to cure. then push another blob in the opposite end, clamp it off to seal it until the silicone cures.
My .02

Dave R

My .02

Eb
10-23-2000, 04:33 PM
Gary,

Just bought some that fits your description from Orchard Supply, made by md, I believe that's Macklanburg-Duncan.

Eb

It's "P" shaped in profile.

[This message has been edited by Eb (edited 10-23-2000).]

Eb
Gary,

Just bought some that fits your description from Orchard Supply, made by md, I believe that's Macklanburg-Duncan.

Eb

Eb
Gary,

Eb

Gary Bergman
10-23-2000, 05:52 PM
Hey Eb, that'd probably be perfect. Does it seem like I could get a tack or something in the 'leg' of the P? That would be ideal, as Orchard Supply is easy to get to.

Gary Bergman
Hey Eb, that'd probably be perfect. Does it seem like I could get a tack or something in the 'leg' of the P? That would be ideal, as Orchard Supply is easy to get to.

Gary Bergman

gashmore
10-24-2000, 05:24 PM
Do a search for "vinyl bulb compression gaskets". McMaster-Carr has a medium selection but the prices are high. THere are a couple of other sourceson the web. Be prepaired to pay $1.50+/foot for a high quality vinyl gasket

gashmore
Do a search for "vinyl bulb compression gaskets". McMaster-Carr has a medium selection but the prices are high. THere are a couple of other sourceson the web. Be prepaired to pay $1.50+/foot for a high quality vinyl gasket

gashmore

Eb
10-24-2000, 05:58 PM
Gary,

That's just what I did, put in a small nail (actually shortened, small dia., silicon bronze ring shank nail) every foot or so, as I didn't trust the self stick to last long.
I think 20' was about five bucks.

For those not familiar with the S.F. area, Orchard Supply Hardware was originally just what the name says, back a few decades ago when Silicon Valley was dirt roads and mostly apricot and prune orchards. Even ten years ago you could walk in and find replacement parts for a ladder or a bee box, or horseshoe nails by the pound. And in the back they had an industrial hardware section, man the stuff they had.
That's all gone, now it's a chain superstore with plastic lawn furniture and prepackaged bags with five drywall screws in each, they even have that guy from the tool TV show as a pitchman....But I still remember......

Eb

Eb
Gary,

That's just what I did, put in a small nail (actually shortened, small dia., silicon bronze ring shank nail) every foot or so, as I didn't trust the self stick to last long.

For those not familiar with the S.F. area, Orchard Supply Hardware was originally just what the name says, back a few decades ago when Silicon Valley was dirt roads and mostly apricot and prune orchards. Even ten years ago you could walk in and find replacement parts for a ladder or a bee box, or horseshoe nails by the pound. And in the back they had an industrial hardware section, man the stuff they had.
That's all gone, now it's a chain superstore with plastic lawn furniture and prepackaged bags with five drywall screws in each, they even have that guy from the tool TV show as a pitchman....But I still remember......

Eb

Eb
Gary,

Eb

Gary Bergman
10-25-2000, 09:16 AM
Yeah, and when I used to build choppers and hot rods, they always had every oddball countersunk allen fastener or bizarre 10 inch bronze bolt I ever needed. Seemed like every time I was going to machine something or turn on the lathe, I'd go there first, to make sure. Now all gone....sigh

Gary Bergman
Yeah, and when I used to build choppers and hot rods, they always had every oddball countersunk allen fastener or bizarre 10 inch bronze bolt I ever needed. Seemed like every time I was going to machine something or turn on the lathe, I'd go there first, to make sure. Now all gone....sigh

Gary Bergman

NormMessinger
10-25-2000, 10:47 AM
Aircraft Spruce carries P-Strip weather stripping. www.aircraftspruce.com (http://www.aircraftspruce.com) Unfortunatly their web page did not reveal specifications on a superficial search.

--Norm

NormMessinger
Aircraft Spruce carries P-Strip weather stripping. www.aircraftspruce.com (http://www.aircraftspruce.com) Unfortunatly their web page did not reveal specifications on a superficial search.

--Norm

NormMessinger

--Norm

Ed Harrow
10-26-2000, 11:28 AM
Hey Gary, Bob Cleek isn't going to let you get away with that! You need matched grooves around the perimeter, with vertical metal edging stuck into the bottom that the lid will engage when closed...

Where are you?

Ed Harrow
Hey Gary, Bob Cleek isn't going to let you get away with that! You need matched grooves around the perimeter, with vertical metal edging stuck into the bottom that the lid will engage when closed...

Where are you?

Ed Harrow

Where are you?

Gary Bergman
10-26-2000, 07:17 PM
Hey Ed, I'm in lake country right now, until I get outta these casts, then back to the boat. Worrying about rainwater collecting in an aft frame...

Gary Bergman
Hey Ed, I'm in lake country right now, until I get outta these casts, then back to the boat. Worrying about rainwater collecting in an aft frame...

Gary Bergman