PDA

View Full Version : M heart is breaking.

Tom Galyen
10-19-2014, 03:59 PM
I haven't posted on here for a long time because of the political rancor. However, I have a problem outside the political that members here may be able to help with.

I have been trying for a long time to adopt a rescue dog from our local shelter, but wanted to get just the right one. Last Friday I picked her up she is an Australian sheep dog/Lab/ Hienz 57 variety puppy. 2 months old and the best puppy you could imagine. I am 70 years old and haven't had any pet since I was a teenager when we had a wonderful dog. Molly my new puppy is the greatest, most beautiful dog imaginable, and for a 2 month old smart as anything and seems to have taken a real bonding with me.

The problem is this, before they released her they of course spayed her, it is their policy. Over the last two days I noticed her licking the mostly healed scar and it was getting irritated I took her to the Vets today and they prescribed the infamous "cone of shame."

My loving beautiful puppy who did not cry of whimper is now in the living room crying and whimpering terribly. How can I do any sort of potty training or anything else with her not able to be properly mobile. Her crying is breaking my heart.

She has a vets appointment on the 24th and they said that we may be able to take the cone off then, but I'm not sure I can live that long.

Tom Galyen.

Paul Pless
10-19-2014, 04:12 PM
two months is very young for a spay. . .

two alternatives to the cone: elizabethan collar or perhaps some type of 'puppy outfit' that will prevent her accessing the incision site.

good luck and good on ya for rescuing a pup

Old Dryfoot
10-19-2014, 04:18 PM
I second the puppy outfit idea. We have done this more than a few times with our dogs.

Tom Galyen
10-19-2014, 04:22 PM
I like the puppy outfit also I looked on line at them, but how can I get one quickly?

Paul Pless
10-19-2014, 04:23 PM
I like the puppy outfit also I looked on line at them, but how can I get one quickly?its halloween, every pet store in america has an entire aisle of them

McMike
10-19-2014, 04:25 PM
And don't worry about training, she'll be ready for that in a week and the lost week won't mean a thing in a month.

Good for you on rescuing a pup!

pumpkin
10-19-2014, 04:26 PM
I second the puppy outfit idea. We have done this more than a few times with our dogs.

Wrap a towel tightly around her neck and duct tape it on. It will stiffen her up so that she can't lick but remain comfortable. Our dog didn't slow down a bit or complain at all. A few days was all it took. Google; towel cone of shame, and look at the images.

Capt Zatarra
10-19-2014, 04:31 PM
Red wore one for ~3 weeks. She got used to it in just a few hours. Take it off for feeding, drinking and potty training. You really only need it when you can't keep her from licking with your hand and voice.

+1 spend as much time as possible with her, playing tug-a-war and other games, hold her in your lap while you watch tv or read, while doing this you pet her head and neck and effectively you become the cone, lovingly and affectionately distracting her from the scar. You only need the cone if you are not able to distract her. Also ask your vet if you can try a numbing cream that will stop the healing itch.

Z.

Tom Galyen
10-19-2014, 04:42 PM
I just got off the line with our local PetSmart store and they said they had some stuff called "bitter apple spray" that I could try. they say it will not irritate the scar and the dog doesn't like the taste so they don't lick it. I may go there and get some. Unfortunately they do not carry the Puppy Outfits.

Tom G.

Todd Bradshaw
10-19-2014, 04:51 PM
We trimmed the cone's size down a bit, which helped quite a bit as it didn't need to be so big. The other thing that helped was taking the dog for a walk, wearing the cone. He lived for walks and there were so many distractions that he didn't seem to notice that he was wearing the cone. It would take a day or two for him to adjust his clearances in the house so that he wasn't running into stuff, but after that he was fine with it.

Old Dryfoot
10-19-2014, 05:38 PM
I just got off the line with our local PetSmart store and they said they had some stuff called "bitter apple spray" that I could try. they say it will not irritate the scar and the dog doesn't like the taste so they don't lick it. I may go there and get some. Unfortunately they do not carry the Puppy Outfits.

Tom G.

We've used that bitter apple spray on a few dogs and it's going to depend on the animal I think. Our Shepherd hated the taste and it worked like a charm, our Shar Pei on the other hand considered it seasoning.

Something else that might work, depending on the location of the incision, is a belly band. These are used with males and wrap around the belly to prevent them from going in the house.

Bubba L.
10-20-2014, 06:16 PM
I can't add to the above. Good luck with the dog. It will end well. Dogs are very forgiving.

Gene