PDA

View Full Version : Digital Pics.

Ian Wright
10-28-2003, 02:34 PM
After our successes with the T-shirts I am moved to ask your help with another problem.
Swmbo Sheila, who until today was VERY dismissive of Digital Cameras has conceived a desire for one… and a pair of binoculars. In fact both combined in one unit.
Anyone got such a thing? Are they OK? What should she buy?
She will be seeing your replies, so sit up straight, smooth your hair down (not you Norm) and answer respectfully,,,,,,,,,,,, it’s probably best to address her as Ma’am,,,, or Sir, Yes Sir,,,,,,

IanW

Ian Wright
After our successes with the T-shirts I am moved to ask your help with another problem.
Swmbo Sheila, who until today was VERY dismissive of Digital Cameras has conceived a desire for one… and a pair of binoculars. In fact both combined in one unit.
She will be seeing your replies, so sit up straight, smooth your hair down (not you Norm) and answer respectfully,,,,,,,,,,,, it’s probably best to address her as Ma’am,,,, or Sir, Yes Sir,,,,,,

IanW

Ian Wright

IanW

Bob Perkins
10-28-2003, 04:36 PM
Hi,

I know they exist - I just saw one in "Sky Mall" on a flight to California.

I have no idea if they are any good, etc..

Bob Perkins
Hi,

Bob Perkins
Hi,

Todd Bradshaw
10-28-2003, 08:26 PM
http://www.celestron.com/prod_pgs/bino/vistapix.htm

Pay close attention to the resolution of the camera part. Many of the combos have really mediocre cameras built into them. In this case, the 1.3 megapixel models would take better pics.

Todd Bradshaw

Pay close attention to the resolution of the camera part. Many of the combos have really mediocre cameras built into them. In this case, the 1.3 megapixel models would take better pics.

Todd Bradshaw

Steve Paskey
10-28-2003, 09:16 PM
You might want to have a look at the customer reviews for various products in the "Camera and Photo" section of amazon.com. Reviews for even the best products seemed to be mixed, depending on the customer's intended use and expectations.

Steve Paskey
You might want to have a look at the customer reviews for various products in the "Camera and Photo" section of amazon.com. Reviews for even the best products seemed to be mixed, depending on the customer's intended use and expectations.

Steve Paskey

JeffH
10-28-2003, 11:17 PM
One word: dpreview (http://www.dpreview.com/)

Having used digicams a fair bit myself, I can say that, in basic and boiled down terms, if you want only to view pics on a monitor or TV, 1 megapixel is fine. If you want decent hard copies, 2 megs is OK, 3 is fine for everyday, 4 is better, 5 is expensive and 6 is currently professional level. Even then, it is possible to be duped into buying high pixel numbers but still get crummy optics, which entirely negates picture quality. Cameras vary widely from manufacturer to manufacturer in terms of usablility, durability and color quality, and I would view something from a non-major brand, especially something as gimicky as a binocular-camera, with extreme suspicion.

Jeff

[ 10-28-2003, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: JeffH ]

JeffH

Having used digicams a fair bit myself, I can say that, in basic and boiled down terms, if you want only to view pics on a monitor or TV, 1 megapixel is fine. If you want decent hard copies, 2 megs is OK, 3 is fine for everyday, 4 is better, 5 is expensive and 6 is currently professional level. Even then, it is possible to be duped into buying high pixel numbers but still get crummy optics, which entirely negates picture quality. Cameras vary widely from manufacturer to manufacturer in terms of usablility, durability and color quality, and I would view something from a non-major brand, especially something as gimicky as a binocular-camera, with extreme suspicion.

Jeff

JeffH

Jeff