X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • isla
    Isla Woodcraft
    • Aug 2008

BROTM Merseyside Magical Mystery Tour

Merseyside, as a geographical entity, didn't exist until 1974. The Local Government Act of 1972 changed many political boundaries in the UK, and as a result Merseyside was created on 1st April 1974, resulting in many Scousers believing the change to be an April fool's joke. The new county now comprises five metropolitan boroughs: Knowsley, St Helens, Sefton, Wirral, and the city of Liverpool. Prior to the restructuring, St Helens was in rural Lancashire, and it's residents were known to Scousers as Woolybacks. This is because Scousers always suspect country dwellers of having carnal relations with sheep. The Wirral, which is the peninsula on the other side of the Mersey from Liverpool, was always known as "across the water", and still is to the best of my knowledge. So the first musical interlude is Valerie from Liverpool band The Zutons, for no better reason than the lyrics refer to "across the water". Oh yeah and the sax player is hot.

Structures without reference to geometry tend toward the ramshackle
  • isla
    Isla Woodcraft
    • Aug 2008

Re: BROTM Merseyside Magical Mystery Tour

In 1962 I was 14 years old. One day, one of my classmates brought a record into school, and asked our teacher if she would play it on the classroom record player. She played it, and I was completely knocked out by it. This was Love Me Do by the Beatles, their first UK single release. It only reached 17 in the UK charts, but it had a lasting impact on me. I had started learning to play guitar, and I was influenced by Hank Marvin of The Shadows, so I was trying to play Apache and FBI, but after I heard this record I just wanted to hear more of the same..

Comment

• David G
      • Dec 2003

For me... an early geography lesson via pop radio --

David G
      Harbor Woodworks
      https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

• Osborne Russell
        • Mar 2006

I liked G & The P's a lot.
        Do not speak of "our institutions" unless you make them yours by acting on their behalf.

Timothy Snyder, On Tyranny (2017)​

Comment

• isla
          Isla Woodcraft
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by David G
          For me... an early geography lesson via pop radio --
          More about the Mersey ferries later.

Comment

• Flying Orca
            Ruth, feck, and gorm
            • Jan 2007

I remember seeing Oysterband in Birkenhead - Pacific Road Arts Centre? - on maybe the third show of their 25th anniversary tour. We didn't have much time in Liverpool, unfortunately, as we were off to Wolverhampton the next day for show 4.

What are you doing about it?

Comment

• ccmanuals
              Son of a Guineaman
              • Dec 2001

Paul McCartney is playing tonight at the new Tobin Arts Center in San Antonio. It's a small 1700 seat theater and scalped tickets are starting at a couple thousand dollars each.
              Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

Comment

• Flying Orca
                Ruth, feck, and gorm
                • Jan 2007

You're such a charming gentleman, Donnn.

What are you doing about it?

Comment

• isla
                  Isla Woodcraft
                  • Aug 2008

We can take it. Woolybacks are more sensitive

As mentioned earlier, woolybacks are people from the rural areas of Lancashire and Cheshire on the fringes of Liverpool. An old Scouse joke is..How do you recognize a woolyback in the middle of Liverpool? He's sending his dog down the Mersey tunnel looking for rabbits.

Comment

• isla
                    Isla Woodcraft
                    • Aug 2008

When I first visited the Cavern club, at the end of 1963, the Beatles were gone, whisked away to London by Brian Epstein. They played at the Cavern 292 times, with the last gig being August 3rd 1963, so I just missed them. But there were still some great groups playing there. Other venues included the Iron Door and the Blue Angel. In those days it was normal to have three or four groups on the bill each night, and they would each play 45 minutes or an hour, then pack up and move down the street to another club and do the same again. One of my all time favourites was The Undertakers. They wore top hats and frock coats, and often turned up to a gig in an old hearse. It all sounds very morbid, but these guys could rock, and their act was full of humour.

Comment

• Hwyl
                      Gareth
                      • Jan 2003

Scousers can do posh too. I saw Simon Rattle conduct the BSO about 15 years ago. He did a Mahler piece. This is a bit easier going.

Comment

• stevebaby
                        • Feb 2006

Sounds pretty good when sung by 80,000 Liverpool fans too.

YNWA
                        For those who've come across the seas
                        We've boundless plains to share;

I refer you to the reply given in the matter of Arkell v. Pressdram.

Comment

• Hwyl
                          Gareth
                          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by stevebaby
                          http://youtu.be/OV5_LQArLa0
                          Sounds pretty good when sung by 80,000 Liverpool fans too.

YNWA
                          We could have a whole thread on this tune (the wonderfullness of Liverpool FC not withstanding).

When I had an airport taxi service, I drove John Rait, he sang to me for most of the 90 minutes, when he wasn't singing he was talking about Bonnie. I regret not asking him to sing this, he didn't sing it in Carousel of course, but I'd bet he knew it.

Comment

• isla
                            Isla Woodcraft
                            • Aug 2008

The history of the Mersey Ferries is long and complicated, and not helped by the fact that the names of the boats have recently been changed. So I'm not going to get bogged down in sorting them all out. But here are a few images with a bit of info. The landing stages for the ferries are floating, with a pivoting gangway. This has to cope with a tidal range of over 30ft rise and fall.

When I was a youngster this was The Mountwood, and is the boat shown in the film Ferry Across the Mersey.
                            Name: 1959–2001: Mountwood - 2001 onwards: Royal Iris of the Mersey

Then we have the boat that I knew as The Overchurch, which is now the Royal Daffodil. The boat that I knew as the Royal Daffodil is now out of commission. Confusing innit?

Name: 1962-1999: Overchurch 1999 onwards: Royal Daffodil

And the boat that I knew as the Woodchurch is now the Snowdrop. Snowdrop was the name of a much older boat..see next post for a video.

Name: 1959-2003: Woodchurch - 2003 onwards: Snowdrop

Comment

• isla
                              Isla Woodcraft
                              • Aug 2008

For a lot more info on the ferries, here's a wiki link..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mersey_Ferry

And here's a video of Snowdrop in 1901..

Comment

Working...