PDA

View Full Version : The NFL and brain injury

CWSmith
09-21-2014, 11:31 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/09/13/Reports-find-28-percent-of-former-NFL-players-will-suffer-brain-injury/stories/201409130223

Two separate reports submitted Friday as part of ongoing litigation between former players and the NFL conclude that 28 percent of them will develop a debilitating brain disorder.

My question is how can anyone watch this game and have fun knowing that fully a quarter of the players will be mentally damaged as a result of this activity?

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
09-21-2014, 11:41 AM
I'd risk it for the kinda money they make.
I beat my body and mind up working for peanuts in the factory.

CWSmith
09-21-2014, 11:59 AM
I'd risk it for the kinda money they make.
I beat my body and mind up working for peanuts in the factory.

I wouldn't, but would you buy a ticket to watch someone else make that sacrifice? Can you still find it entertaining knowing the price that is paid?

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
09-21-2014, 12:20 PM
I did all kinds of sports as a kid.
I decided football hurt too much.
I agree the whole game is insane.
What gets me is that the NFL knew about this for years and tried to cover it up.

S.V. Airlie
09-21-2014, 12:51 PM
The players don't have to play football! They know the risks!

Nicholas Scheuer
09-21-2014, 12:52 PM
Some people today are in fact setting aside any interest in football.

CWSmith
09-21-2014, 01:32 PM

The same argument was often used to justify any unsafe workplace. The argument was repugnant then as now.

Some people today are in fact setting aside any interest in football.

I hope so, but I don't see it.

S.V. Airlie
09-21-2014, 02:35 PM
The same argument was often used to justify any unsafe workplace. The argument was repugnant then as now.

I hope so, but I don't see it.Hey, be real! They were in for the money. often, more than they need

hokiefan
09-21-2014, 02:36 PM

The little kids don't know the risks.

S.V. Airlie
09-21-2014, 02:38 PM
The parents usually are! Unless, they don't care!

ahp
09-21-2014, 08:16 PM
Makes total sense as the majority of "Football Fans" are brain damaged to begin with.

Even if it were a certain that all NFL players would be horribly and permanently incapacitated there would still be a fan base. I don't believe that we are much better than the fans of gladiator contests.

Even in imperial Rome most contests were not to the death. Gladiators cost too much money and time to train. Successful gladiators were very popular and despised at the same time, and not all gladiators were slaves.

CWSmith
09-21-2014, 08:23 PM
^ ahp, this is exactly what I fear is true. After all we've seen and know, would anything negatively impact ticket sales?

JayInOz
09-21-2014, 08:56 PM
I'm surprised they get any injuries at all- they're practically wearing roll cages when they play:) JayInOz

Vince Brennan
09-21-2014, 09:38 PM
Well, the septics get to wear something approaching protective gear... how about Northern Rules? One of the major contributing factors to the Yorkshire Psyche, innit? Play that if you want some permanent damages... and you don't even NEED a brain to qualify!

(Don't get me started on the Aussies!)

David W Pratt
09-22-2014, 08:01 AM
One interesting aspect (to me) is the players who seem to avoid brain injury. I exclude quarterbacks who see little contact, but Charles Woodson, long time defensive back, only defensive player to win a Heisman.
Gene Upshaw, interior lineman, went on to lead the players' association astutely
Howie Long, defensive end, appears intact on TV
Like lung cancer, there seems to be a spotty susceptibility to brain injury
If that is the case, there may be a way to screen for it

John Smith
09-22-2014, 08:13 AM
Bill Maher one night thought up the same idea I had had: don't give the defense helmets. The reasoning is that a lot of injuries result from the defensive player using his helmet as a weapon.

Funny thing about this thread. We have boxing and the MMA, which are sports specifically designed for one person to injure the other. Football produces injuries as a bi-product of the game.

I don't know, maybe some does, if the injury ratio has increased over the years as players have gotten bigger, stronger, faster, and, it seems, less able to contain their emotions.