PDA

View Full Version : Brass Binnacles

Binnacle
02-28-2001, 07:46 PM
I recently attended the ASA (American Schooner Society) annual meeting in Mystic , and had to opportunity to meed Doug Haslett and Dennis Montgomery , representing Cayuga
Wooden Boatworks of Cayuga NY.
Doug recently purchased Malabar X , the biggest and most famous of Alden racing schooners from the 30's.
Dennis is the operator of Cayuga Boat Works and has undertaken the monumental task of restoring/rebuilding Malabar X , and are hoping to finish her by this summer.
One thing was missing when she was removed from the shed in Greenport , NY , and that was the binnacle. Doug and Dennis have been
trying to locate another binnacle of this classic era , and have not had much sucess.
The binnacle is about 3' high , with 6
flat glass windows in a 6 sided pyramid , with a brass tubular post and base. They were common in the sailing craft built during the 30's and 40's.
Any help locating this type of binnacle would be greatly appreciated.
As an ex owner of Malabar X , I hope to be able to appreciate this complete restoration for years to come.
Jim "Binnacle" Wright
3 Lynn Dr.
Preston CT 06365
blendplus@aol.com

or Dennis Montgomery
Cayuga Wooden Boatworks
6301 Water St.
Cayuga NY. 13034
(315) 253-7447
dennis@cayugawoodenboatworks.com

Binnacle
I recently attended the ASA (American Schooner Society) annual meeting in Mystic , and had to opportunity to meed Doug Haslett and Dennis Montgomery , representing Cayuga
Doug recently purchased Malabar X , the biggest and most famous of Alden racing schooners from the 30's.
Dennis is the operator of Cayuga Boat Works and has undertaken the monumental task of restoring/rebuilding Malabar X , and are hoping to finish her by this summer.
One thing was missing when she was removed from the shed in Greenport , NY , and that was the binnacle. Doug and Dennis have been
trying to locate another binnacle of this classic era , and have not had much sucess.
flat glass windows in a 6 sided pyramid , with a brass tubular post and base. They were common in the sailing craft built during the 30's and 40's.
As an ex owner of Malabar X , I hope to be able to appreciate this complete restoration for years to come.
Jim "Binnacle" Wright
3 Lynn Dr.
Preston CT 06365
blendplus@aol.com

or Dennis Montgomery
Cayuga Wooden Boatworks
6301 Water St.
Cayuga NY. 13034
(315) 253-7447

Binnacle
Jim "Binnacle" Wright
3 Lynn Dr.
Preston CT 06365
blendplus@aol.com

or Dennis Montgomery
Cayuga Wooden Boatworks
6301 Water St.
Cayuga NY. 13034
(315) 253-7447

Todd Schliemann
02-28-2001, 10:57 PM
Binnacle, if you don't mind, what shed in Greenport was she removed from?

Todd Schliemann

Todd Schliemann

Binnacle
03-01-2001, 03:47 AM
Morning Todd,
As I recall the shed was the large one , next to the railway.. Malabar was in storage there for nearly 5 years after being severely damagaed in hurricane Bob. Apparently the binnacle was removed by someone in the Sag Harbor Police dept. when she ran up on the beack neat the North Haven , put up for auction , and lost track of.
My wife & daughter sadly looked her over in the shed one sunday , and noticed that the binnacle was gone , but assumed the owner had removed it for safe keeping.
Any ideas ?????
Binnacle

Binnacle
Morning Todd,
As I recall the shed was the large one , next to the railway.. Malabar was in storage there for nearly 5 years after being severely damagaed in hurricane Bob. Apparently the binnacle was removed by someone in the Sag Harbor Police dept. when she ran up on the beack neat the North Haven , put up for auction , and lost track of.
My wife & daughter sadly looked her over in the shed one sunday , and noticed that the binnacle was gone , but assumed the owner had removed it for safe keeping.
Any ideas ?????
Binnacle

Binnacle
Morning Todd,
Any ideas ?????
Binnacle

Jonathan Kabak
03-01-2001, 08:06 AM
If you can not come across the original, try giving Steve Bunker at China Sea Marine Trading Company a call. They recently relocated to Portland Maine and I think have a web site.

Otherwise try celestair in Kansas. They sell top notch navigation equipment and I know often have antique binnicals.

Jonathan

Jonathan Kabak
If you can not come across the original, try giving Steve Bunker at China Sea Marine Trading Company a call. They recently relocated to Portland Maine and I think have a web site.

Otherwise try celestair in Kansas. They sell top notch navigation equipment and I know often have antique binnicals.

Jonathan

Jonathan Kabak

Jonathan

Art Read
03-01-2001, 10:29 AM
South China Sea MOVED! Damn! Now there's NO reason to go to Fells Point anymore...

Art Read
South China Sea MOVED! Damn! Now there's NO reason to go to Fells Point anymore...

Art Read

Ed Harrow
03-01-2001, 11:38 AM
You might also try:

http://www.robertwhite.com/

or

http://www.lunenburgfoundry.com/hardware.html
I don't see anything in their listing, but...

or

http://www.popeyesailorsexchange.com/cgi-bin/odbic.exe/popeyes/script/query.odb

There is/was a place in Orleans? on Cape Cod, Spyglass. Possible, but expen$ive. I also know there is a marine junk store in San Diego, but they do have lots of junk from what I saw in my one-time visit.

Somebody else was looking here for a binnacle for a NY 40 or 50. I think I saw an ad in some past issues of WB as well.

Ridge White at White instruments is a good source of "yestertech" stuff and may have a contact that may be useful.

Ed Harrow
You might also try:

or

or

There is/was a place in Orleans? on Cape Cod, Spyglass. Possible, but expen$ive. I also know there is a marine junk store in San Diego, but they do have lots of junk from what I saw in my one-time visit.

Somebody else was looking here for a binnacle for a NY 40 or 50. I think I saw an ad in some past issues of WB as well.

Ridge White at White instruments is a good source of "yestertech" stuff and may have a contact that may be useful.

Ed Harrow
You might also try:

or

or