PDA

View Full Version : Bulk Smash!

seanz
09-07-2014, 04:40 PM
While we wait for Reynard to fix his link to whatever it is.......I just gots to know.......here's a link to some very bad driving....or the #1 reason why a liveaboard in a marina near a working wharf might not be such a great idea.

http://www.chonday.com/Videos/boanwprk2#.VAyv9YI1ZZo.facebook

I really hope that link works.
:)

Donn
09-07-2014, 05:08 PM
I saw that in the news last year. Apparently, Cyprus Cement tried to leave the port, but was stopped by the Norwegian Coast Guard. Over 1 million Danish Crowns in damages.

Ian McColgin
09-07-2014, 05:16 PM
We saw it here last year as well.

CWSmith
09-07-2014, 05:18 PM
It seems like slow motion. It keeps coming, and coming, and... You know it's going to happen, but you don't know how bad. I could not take my eyes off it.

John B
09-07-2014, 05:37 PM
Interesting site. I like the hammerhead chasing the ray.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BLG2v8yD0Fk

Donn
09-07-2014, 05:57 PM
Interesting site. I like the hammerhead chasing the ray.

I was fishing with a friend in Florida Bay, behind Islamorada one day, when he hooked a Hammerhead about that size (guide estimated 400#+) on a shrimp.

The shark ran about 200 yards of 8# line off before Captain Sid could get the Hewes fired up to run him down. We got right alongside of it, and it was over half as long as the 18' skiff. We cut the line leaving about 5' trailing. The beast then ran up into about 4" of water, where we could not have followed. He plowed over the flat and disappeared.

I thought my friend was going to croak on the spot. He was standing on the casting platform at the bow, and the look on his face when he turned around was priceless.

John B
09-07-2014, 07:28 PM
I was fishing with a friend in Florida Bay, behind Islamorada one day, when he hooked a Hammerhead about that size (guide estimated 400#+) on a shrimp.

The shark ran about 200 yards of 8# line off before Captain Sid could get the Hewes fired up to run him down. We got right alongside of it, and it was over half as long as the 18' skiff. We cut the line leaving about 5' trailing. The beast then ran up into about 4" of water, where we could not have followed. He plowed over the flat and disappeared.

I thought my friend was going to croak on the spot. He was standing on the casting platform at the bow, and the look on his face when he turned around was priceless.

I've only ever hooked one myself and it was only about 4 ft long ( maybe 5) but quite skinny. The funny thing was though , it fought like a 4 or 5 ft long fish , which I find quite thrilling. I managed to get him unhooked and released.
I've probably mentioned it quite a few times before , but Orca here hunt rays for food and they chase em right up in the shallows like that video. A bit more efficient than that guy though.

There's lots of hammerheads in one particular bay we try to go to around Great barrier. Hammerheads one side of the island and mako the other.

Sorry 'bout the hijack shawnz, but thanks for the video site.

seanz
09-07-2014, 07:41 PM
No worries, Bjohn.

It's just posted as a laugh..................an entertaining interlude until Reynard fixes the link on his thread.

Donn
09-07-2014, 07:49 PM
There's lots of hammerheads in one particular bay we try to go to around Great barrier. Hammerheads one side of the island and mako the other.

I'd be fishing on the Mako side. They're delicious!

John B
09-07-2014, 08:07 PM
I'd be fishing on the Mako side. They're delicious!
The only thing is , I suspect they might think exactly the same when they're looking up at us.
One 6 or 7 footer spy hopped a mate as he was leaning over the side of Riada looking down. It just glided up vertically and eyeballed him.
He wanted a rum after that for some reason , that and a lie down.

Donn
09-07-2014, 08:24 PM
Our Makos prefer Bluefish to humans. They love oily fish. Some estimate 77% of their diet is Bluefish. That's probably why Bluefish is the best chum and bait, and also why the Mako is so tasty.

John B
09-07-2014, 09:06 PM
Same here in reality ,they don't want you. If they did there would be 1000 shark attacks a year instead of the one in 25( ish) and that one had special circumstances.
So I tell myself.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd48/Waione_photos/Cruise%202012/IMG_0665_3.jpg (http://s227.photobucket.com/user/Waione_photos/media/Cruise%202012/IMG_0665_3.jpg.html)

PeterSibley
09-07-2014, 09:52 PM
John , Mum talks about swimming in Tauranga harbour as a kid , that would be 90 years ago. She said there were always sharks in and near the children but they just chased the fish .