PDA

View Full Version : Misspelling

Tom Montgomery
09-04-2014, 08:38 PM
Most spelling errors are typos.

Everyone who writes makes spelling errors. I do my best to spot my own errors and correct them before others can point them out. Why? Because I do not want to appear ignorant.

Some simply do not care how they appear and leave their typos and spelling errors boldly uncorrected.

Some simply are poor spellers who wouldn't recognize an error unless someone pointed it out.

Some are trolls who delight in frequent misspelling simply to annoy others.

Some are generally good spellers who display a characteristic misspelling of particular words. For instance: there is a Forumite who persistently spells "source" as "sourse." Another example... as an English major in college a professor asked me if I spoke Russian. Why? Because I persistently misspelled "individual" as "indivigual."

Some delight in displaying a snooty superiority by correcting the spelling errors of those with whom they disagree politically.

And some correct the spelling errors of others simply to be helpful.

Paul Pless
09-04-2014, 08:44 PM
fort

seanz
09-04-2014, 08:45 PM
traf

purri
09-04-2014, 08:45 PM
then there are dud keyboards.

John B
09-04-2014, 08:47 PM
Fortunately, all posts on this forum are edible.

The Bigfella
09-04-2014, 08:48 PM
Hey, its spreading.

Loose instead of lose on this forum, for example.

Motoring forums are full of breaks and breaking instead of brakes and braking.

Such is life.

stevebaby
09-04-2014, 09:05 PM
Hey, its spreading.

Loose instead of lose on this forum, for example.

Motoring forums are full of breaks and breaking instead of brakes and braking.

Such is life.Then there's this monstrosity of poor English usage... "who'd of thought they'd do that?".
It's from a famous author no less!

Tom Montgomery
09-04-2014, 09:07 PM
Hemingway said it was his editor's job to correct the grammar.

Tom Montgomery
09-04-2014, 09:13 PM
This too to remember. If a man writes clearly enough any one can see if he fakes. If he mystifies to avoid a straight statement, which is very different from breaking so-called rules of syntax or grammar to make an efffect which can be obtained in no other way, the writer takes a longer time to be known as a fake and other writers who are afflicted by the same necessity will praise him in their own defense. True mysticism should not be confused with incompetence in writing which seeks to mystify where there is no mystery but is really only the necessity to fake to cover lack of knowledge or the inability to state clearly. Mysticism implies a mystery and there are many mysteries; but incompetence is not one of them; nor is overwritten journalism made literature by the injection of a false epic quality. Remember this too: All bad writers are in love with the epic.

Are we CLEAR?

Crystal.

Paul Girouard
09-04-2014, 09:17 PM
Then there's this monstrosity of poor English usage... "who'd of thought they'd do that?".
It's from a famous author no less!

Ya, everyone knows "who'd a thunk" LOL.

The Bigfella
09-05-2014, 12:00 AM
Who'd a thunk the ticket-puncher would be snooping around behind again?

Glen Longino
09-05-2014, 12:18 AM
Who'd a thunk the ticket-puncher would be snooping around behind again?

You would have thunk it and Did thunk it!
Hang on!:D

The Bigfella
09-05-2014, 12:27 AM
The most difficult posts to ignore are insults of intelligence, combined with spelling or grammar errors.

"Your so incredibly stupid..."

I love it.

bobbys
09-05-2014, 12:45 AM
I do not like to brag about my amazing mastery of the Queens English.

Glen Longino
09-05-2014, 01:08 AM
I do not like to brag about my amazing mastery of the Queens English.

Queen's!

The Bigfella
09-05-2014, 01:25 AM
Queens's

Try again

Glen Longino
09-05-2014, 01:29 AM
Try again

:)Thanks, dammit!:)

bobbys
09-05-2014, 01:48 AM
Queen's!.

I told you I do not brag!

Old Dryfoot
09-05-2014, 02:01 AM

I told you I do not brag!

Ummm...

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/Queen%27s-English

The same in American English too, so no luck there.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/american_english/Queen%27s-English

bobbys
09-05-2014, 02:15 AM
Ummm...

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/Queen%27s-English

The same in American English too, so no luck there.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/american_english/Queen%27s-English.

How come when the Beatles and the E nglish invasion bands sang they sang without a British accent but sang merican.

HUH?

Shang
09-05-2014, 02:17 AM
http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/mephisto927/Misc%20Post%20Pics/Posters%202/spelling-nazis-spelling-nazi-nazis-.jpg

Curtism
09-05-2014, 02:48 AM
My favorite mispronuciation is of the word 'nucyewlar'. I mean, nuclear is a fairly straightforward word and anyone capable of sounding a word out phonetically should be able to tackle saying it aloud. Wouldn't you think?

JayInOz
09-05-2014, 06:34 AM
It always struck me as odd that so many Americans seem unable to pronounce "nuclear"- including some past presidents. A lot of the Brits can't pronounce "create" which mystifies me. They also talk about the "Penta gn" Nobody else leaves the O out of Pentagon. Americans don't pronounce the l in solder- it isn't silent! Lately I've been watching a lot of American How To vids on Youtube- carving, wood turning, inlay work, weaving- lots of stuff- and many of the people doing the demos will repeatedly say "Now I'll go ahead and-" They don't turn on the lathe, they go ahead and turn on the lathe- why? My favourite peeve at the moment is with a popular expression. Down here if we don't give a tinkers cuss about something we say "I couldn't care less" It's an old and popular expression. Americans invariably say "I could care less". Don't sound real bright:) JayInOz

Peerie Maa
09-05-2014, 06:34 AM
. How come when the Beatles and the E nglish invasion bands sang they sang without a British accent but sang merican. HUH?Singing is different. It amazes me that some one who cannot understand a word of Italian can sing Opera word perfect. How does that work?

changeng
09-05-2014, 06:45 AM
Personally I think that criticizing someones spelling is poor form. One knows not anothers background or culture. (Unless the criticizee is generally a PITA...spelling and grammar wise :D)
I mean..if all you got is that you won the grade 7 spelling bee three years in a row..well..it's not much is it?

S.V. Airlie
09-05-2014, 08:38 AM
My bloody keyboard is living on borrowed time. It works when it feels like it. Sometimes, have to literally pound a key. On the other side of the coin, I have to look at each post to correct the spelling It forces me actually decide whether I should post what's written or not. Of course, single letters are spelled correctly! Often missed!

changeng
09-05-2014, 09:00 AM
cracker crumbs. hoover it. DAMHIKT

S.V. Airlie
09-05-2014, 09:13 AM
Shark it!

TomF
09-05-2014, 09:29 AM
Singing is different. It amazes me that some one who cannot understand a word of Italian can sing Opera word perfect. How does that work?Classical singers are trained to sing on "pure" vowels, and only put in dipthongs (and consonants) at the very end of the note. The main reason for that is that pure vowels resonate and project a lot better, and singing on them means you'll have not only more volume ... but a much longer, more fluid line. The legato won't get chopped up by consonants or dipthongs putting breaks into the sound. Really important for an art form which mostly developed before amplification.

Italian is a language mostly without dipthongs - so historically, most classical singers are trained to sing on Italian vowels. This holds trueeven when you're singing another language (German, English, French). For the most part, you insert the bits which differentiate pronounciation in those languages (dipthongs, the nasal element of French etc.) the same way you'd insert a consonant ... only at the last possible moment of the time you sing a particular note or phrase, singing most of the time on the pure tone. Very different from the way most untrained singers use their voices, especially when singing in English ... and with a mike.

FWIW, Japanese uses pure vowels too, with few dipthongs. I remember some Japanese friends were always surprised at how well I could pronounce bits of their language, when I had no notion of what I was saying.

S.V. Airlie
09-05-2014, 09:54 AM
I'd be lucky if I don't screw up French or even Spanish. You internationals are not so apt to do that! I'm jealous! Of course, I took Latin. Can't screw up a dead language!
When I taught in England, I took the kids to Switzerland on one spring break to ski. Were set up in some 3 star motel! We were on one end of one floor and bunch of Swedish kids plus mother hen wee on the other! One night the Swedish kids found some booze and go carried away I mean really carried away. The mother hen came out he net morning and screamed a us in Swedish blaming US for the fiasco that had occurred the night before. Thinking we were stupid Am., she figured she didn't think that we wouldn't know what she said. Wrong! One of my students came back at her in Perfect Swedish and put all the cards on the table regarding fault. As in it washer kids! he mother hen just looked at us and stomped off in a huff. My student actually knew 7 languages; Swedish being one!:)

Keith Wilson
09-05-2014, 09:57 AM
Italian is a language mostly without dipthongs - so historically, most classical singers are trained to sing on Italian vowels. . . . Japanese uses pure vowels too, with few dipthongs. Spanish as well; both it and Italian are dialects of Latin, of course. OTOH, what the hell happened to French? Speaking Spanish helped quite a bit with my feeble attempts at Japanese - or with the pronunciation, anyway.

I think songs go in a different part of the brain than spoken language.

S.V. Airlie
09-05-2014, 10:12 AM
Spanish is the Only language taught at the public school here now! I'm sure the school will blame CUTBACKS and our taxes will go up and the student population will continue to drop.

BrianY
09-05-2014, 10:14 AM
I'm a much better speller than I am a typist and I have dyslexic fingers that always make me mistype certain words such as "certian", "becasue", "teh" and "perfromance" wrong even though I really do know how to spell them correctly. I try to correct the mistakes in my posts but don't spend too much time obsessing over it because, honestly, this is just an internet forum and it's none of what is written here is all that important. Writing in this place is the equivalent of casual conversation and not formal academic work. As long as people understand the point I'm making and I can understand them, it's fine. If the spelling Nazis want to mock me for it, I really don't care. Whatever makes them happy....

John B
09-05-2014, 04:59 PM
Um.... There is no "I" in solder....;)
Nor in weld.....but braise, there's an I for ya, and tastey too.

Peerie Maa
09-05-2014, 05:29 PM
I think songs go in a different part of the brain than spoken language.

Reading Tom's explanation and this made me think that maybe the singer learns the Italian song as abstract sound, so the meaning is not relevant?

Phillip Allen
09-05-2014, 07:31 PM
it's tough being an English major in a world full of engineers

W Grabow
09-05-2014, 07:43 PM
I was reading a somewhat scholarly report recently in which the author used the phrase,"it never seizes to amaze me..." How do you suppose that happened? Did he not know what the correct phrase was? Was this the result of dictation without proofreading? Anyhow, from that point on in reading the report, it seemed less scholarly; my opinion of the author was significantly diminished.

bobbys
09-05-2014, 07:52 PM
I like to chose words and assemble them so that my abstract thoughts become even less significant.

I like to lighten up the world by useing porpoise instead of purpose.

I think it's more fun to think of a porpoise jumping threw the wake of a 70hp2stroke outboard spewing smoke then some dry old stale word like purpose..

Just the udder day I used gorilla instead of guerrilla..

I like to spotlight the plight of the gorilla but some missed the point.

Old Dryfoot
09-05-2014, 08:10 PM
Not to cast aspersions, that is the last thing I want to do, but in my opinion; to base one's assessment of an individual on spelling and grammatical errors is the epitome of shallowness. Especially in such an informal setting such as this forum. This is a casual gathering place for the sake of shared interests. If you assign any more importance than that to it, you may have too high an opinion of yourself.

changeng
09-05-2014, 08:20 PM
I think it's mainly dun in jest.
My spelling is pretty awful, I attribute it to trying to learn other languages when still quite young (about 8).
I still sometimes spell some words the french way if I'm typing quickly.
Like "parlement" coming from the french verb ..parle -to talk. makes sense in my brain if you know what I mean.

McMike
09-05-2014, 08:38 PM
Lol, the real stupidity and arrogance is to judge someone based on their poor spelling and grammar instead of the content of their writing.

I care about how I present myself when I write but my brain does not lend itself to the skill that many of you take for granted. Does that make my right to express myself here less valid?

Old Dryfoot
09-05-2014, 08:40 PM
Books and covers.

peb
09-05-2014, 08:59 PM
Sum are typng on there fone and the ap dosnt support ededng

Phillip Allen
09-05-2014, 09:19 PM
Not to cast aspersions, that is the last thing I want to do, but in my opinion; to base one's assessment of an individual on spelling and grammatical errors is the epitome of shallowness. Especially in such an informal setting such as this forum. This is a casual gathering place for the sake of shared interests. If you assign any more importance than that to it, you may have too high an opinion of yourself.

:)... you just nailed some rats here!

BTW, I NEVER mispell things in face to face encounters :)

W Grabow
09-06-2014, 12:58 PM
From today's WSJ: "Four Ways to Spot a Great Teacher" ...teachers with high SAT scores or perfect college GPAs are generally no better for their students... But teachers with large vocabularies are better at their jobs because this trait is associated with being intelligent, well-read and curious.

Using the correct word and proper spelling does make a difference.

slug
09-06-2014, 01:39 PM
Writing on a touch screen device is tedious. Everything is small and goofy. After a sentence finger poking the screen i give up and never proof read...just press the send.

Ian McColgin
09-06-2014, 01:46 PM
I don't judge people on spelling or grammar per se, despite the fact that being a dyslectic has left some scars. I figure if I have something to communicate, it is my responsibility to make that as clear as I am able. While some "misunderstand" things quite deliberately for a rhetorical point, when people honestly misunderstand what I write here or anywhere, that is my responsibility to fix. I judge a person on what they say and if a person makes no sense or strains opaque references past all recognition, that is their responsibility. Willfully stupid spelling is just one likely sign.

W Grabow
09-06-2014, 03:08 PM
Even with misspelling, a person can make a powerful statement by their reasoning and objectivity. What occasionally bugs me is when a person, in a discussion outside their area of expertise, feels obligated to list their professional title. If your statements are well-constructed, they will speak for themselves.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
09-06-2014, 04:31 PM
Ewer wright.