PDA

View Full Version : pr0n!

Paul Pless
09-03-2014, 04:15 AM
http://33.media.tumblr.com/d4843cf3e18c0f5413ea4d8a096ac4b6/tumblr_nbbj0xe8XE1re37pro1_1280.jpg

Peerie Maa
09-03-2014, 04:50 AM
Is it just me, or is that backstay a tad too tight?

foresail
09-03-2014, 05:17 AM
Is it just me, or is that backstay a tad too tight?
Have a view that is nearly parallel:
https://33.media.tumblr.com/ec4df62286a4888f473a206adf7711c2/tumblr_nbblovLEnn1re37pro1_1280.jpg

It doesn't look that windy on that day and it wasn't in the harbour but on the fjord it was more contrary wind so a trimming for more wind might have been appropriate.

I didn't find the English word for "Peitschenmast", the type of mast that can be bent more than usual. Is it the literal "whip mast"?

Jim Mahan
09-03-2014, 06:27 AM
Might it be that the sailor is trying every little thing to encourage whatever little dollop of wind that might happen by, to get caught in the almost billowy flat sail?

johnw
09-03-2014, 02:30 PM
The boat is from an era when many racing boats were built with masts that curve at the top to get a little extra sail area. You see it in old plans for R boats.

Lionheart, a 12 meter, tried it in 1983. http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1243&dat=19800811&id=h_xXAAAAIBAJ&sjid=2vYDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5263,6041631

John Meachen
09-03-2014, 03:08 PM
Didn't Manfred Curry advocate masts of that type?

John B
09-03-2014, 04:43 PM
free roach area before roach or square tops were used as the default. I always look at those things and wonder what the sail shape would be like reefed. I'm picking a whole lot of very nasty draft coming in just when you want a flat sail.
Funny thing about those jumper style, fractional rigs through the middle of the century, everything was based around keeping the mast either straight or in those cases, in one shape. It wasn't till much later that people started to get rid of the jumpers and bend the hell out of the masts to flatten the sail and therefore extend the sails range before reefing. Didn't really become the common /default approach to fractional masts until ali came around I suppose. Here it was boats like the Farr one tonners of the early / mid 70's that really developed it.

johnw
09-03-2014, 05:49 PM
free roach area before roach or square tops were used as the default. I always look at those things and wonder what the sail shape would be like reefed. I'm picking a whole lot of very nasty draft coming in just when you want a flat sail.
Funny thing about those jumper style, fractional rigs through the middle of the century, everything was based around keeping the mast either straight or in those cases, in one shape. It wasn't till much later that people started to get rid of the jumpers and bend the hell out of the masts to flatten the sail and therefore extend the sails range before reefing. Didn't really become the common /default approach to fractional masts until ali came around I suppose. Here it was boats like the Farr one tonners of the early / mid 70's that really developed it.

I was under the impression that the Star class developed the bendy rig pretty early. And, of course, the sharpies were using unstayed bendy masts in the 1850s on, mostly to spill wind at the top of the sail. I have many times sailed a replica of an 1870s sharpie, and it's remarkable how effective this is.

John B
09-03-2014, 06:02 PM
I'm sure you're right John ,there's always going to be a development somewhere which is ignored elsewhere for whatever reason.
I tend to think keelboat of that mid range size because thats what I sail, and they were all trying to keep masts straight. Perhaps its a case of materials catching up to concept . As an example ,we have a class here called the K class from the '40's where that was true, a lot of rigging to keep the wooden mast in column so as to minimise stress. 40 ft cruiser racers fitting a position that say Concordias do in the US.
I met a guy in the 80's who really pushed the envelope by simply removing the jumpers on one of those so he could bend the top of his mast with backstay a la Farr one tonner, not to spill wind, but to make a flat sail so he could carry full main through longer, rather than reefing at 18 or 20. He got away with it but I notice the class tends not to do much of that.

One of the reasons this boat was so successful in 1975 was the rig, a paradigm shift in hull and rig design which changed things here overnight .....made masthead pointy stern IOR boats in build redundant before they were launched.

http://rbsailing.blogspot.co.nz/2013/04/prospect-of-ponsonby-farr-1104.html

damn dinghy sailors getting into keelboat design, .....

John B
09-03-2014, 06:04 PM
Didn't Manfred Curry advocate masts of that type?
Its been a while since I read that, man he was active wasn't he. I immediately thought of all those birds wings he'd collect to look at and analyse when you mentioned his name.

John B
09-03-2014, 07:19 PM
an earlier discussion on the 30 square bent masts

http://forum.woodenboat.com/archive/index.php/t-787.html