PDA

View Full Version : "wheelie bins"

Rum_Pirate
09-02-2014, 02:07 PM
In Australia , the curbside garbage carts are called "wheelie bins."
A garbage collector is driving along a Sydney street picking up the wheelie bins and emptying them into his rubbish truck.
He goes to one house where the bin hasn't been left out.
In the spirit of kindness, and after having a quick look about for the bin, he gets out of his truck, goes to the front door and knocks.
There's no answer.
Being a conscientious bloke, he knocks again -- much harder.
Eventually, a Japanese man comes to the door.
"Harro!" says the Japanese man.
"G'day mate, where's ya bin?" asks the collector.
"I bin on toiret," explains the Japanese bloke, a bit perplexed.
Realizing the fellow had misunderstood him, the bin man smiles and tries again.
"No mate, where's ya dust bin?"
"I dust bin to toilet, I toll you," says the Japanese man, still perplexed.
"Listen," says the garbage collector. "You're misunderstanding me. I mean, where's ya wheelie bin?'"
"OK, OK," replies the Japanese man with a sheepish grin, and whispers in the collector's' ear. "I wheelie bin having sex wiffa wife's sista!!!"
:ycool:..

CWSmith
09-02-2014, 04:37 PM
Arguably, a better dust bin song: http://www.leoslyrics.com/stan-rogers/the-woodbridge-dog-diaster-lyrics/

AussieBarney
09-02-2014, 04:42 PM
Rum, It's obvious that you do not live in Australia. There is no bloody way any garbage truck driver would behave in such a fashion. If you miss the collection time you have a full bin for a week. If a driver rang my doorbell and asked for my bin, I would probably faint with shock. The local council is not known for their proactive approach.

CWSmith
09-02-2014, 04:44 PM
Rum, It's obvious that you do not live in Australia. There is no bloody way any garbage truck driver would behave in such a fashion. If you miss the collection time you have a full bin for a week. If a driver rang my doorbell and asked for my bin, I would probably faint with shock. The local council is not known for their proactive approach.

Having worked a garbage truck when I was young, I understand. The job is hard enough.

skuthorp
09-02-2014, 04:47 PM
It was not always that way, I'm old enough to remember inner suburban garbage being collected in horse drawn carts. A few bottles of beer at Christmas could work wonders.

Phillip Allen
09-02-2014, 04:51 PM
It was not always that way, I'm old enough to remember inner suburban garbage being collected in horse drawn carts. A few bottles of beer at Christmas could work wonders.

being as old as you are, was it a three toed horse?

Rum_Pirate
09-02-2014, 04:54 PM

Psst it is a joke it is not a factual representation. :ycool:

skuthorp
09-02-2014, 04:54 PM
Couldn't tell, they had very hairy feet………… and were suckers for a carrot. At that age Phillip I was very close to those feet.

Rum_Pirate
09-02-2014, 04:55 PM
Couldn't tell, they had very hairy feet………… and were suckers for a carrot.

The bin men or the horses?

S.V. Airlie
09-02-2014, 04:57 PM
My garbage collector does the min. He takes the bags out of the can and leaves the crud, water, dead flies etc. in the barrel. Can't see why he can't pick up and dump the barrel over into the ruck Where I'd lived before, Barb, the collector did. Wasn't hard! It's not that the ruck smelled like a gardenia!

Gerarddm
09-02-2014, 04:58 PM
They WERE the horses. ;-)

Rum_Pirate
09-02-2014, 05:02 PM
They WERE the horses. ;-)

Reminiscent of Hercules in this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDDVyV2X_cA

Bubba L.
09-02-2014, 05:11 PM
That's a good one! Great play on cultural/language differences.:d

My grandmother would leave a six pack of beer and some of her homemade peanut brittle on top of the trash can every year at Xmas time. She was the only one in town who got away with going way over the maximum limit of trash in town. She was no dummy!

Gene

The Bigfella
09-02-2014, 05:27 PM
The first number of my age isn't the same as Jeff's, nor is the next number down, but yes I belong to the next decade down. I guess that makes me a relative youngster, but I too remember the horse-drawn garbage cart. The Depot was across the park from home and, if I was home from school because I was unwell, I would be allowed to ride the cart back to the Depot. I can't imagine that scenario playing out these days.

Oh yeah, these days we have four wheelie bins. One for general waste, one for recyclables and two for green waste.

purri
09-02-2014, 05:44 PM
My old place at Balmain (Sinny) even in the 70s had horse drawn street sweepers carts.