PDA

View Full Version : Shoelaces

CWSmith
09-01-2014, 04:13 PM
There is so much rancor in the bilge these days that I thought I'd start a thread dedicated to the old boys everywhere.

The other day, when getting into my car at the mailbox, my shoelaces snagged the brake peddle. I could push the accelerator, but not the break. Fortunately, I was headed UP the driveway and it was not a big deal, but it made a strong impression. I live on a street with no side walks. In the AM kids are playing in the street waiting for the school bus and parents are walking the dogs. It's all out in the street. If the same problem had happened in the AM it could have been bad.

So I told my wife I was getting shoes with velcro straps instead of laces. When they came her comment was "They don't look as geriatric as I expected." Not much of a compliment. Still, I really feel like it's one less thing to worry over. I'm surprised how much I like them. They stay tight all day and they never need retying. So I'm an old fart, but I like these velcro straps.

Shoelaces are so 20th century!

S.V. Airlie
09-01-2014, 04:15 PM
You haven't read the warning on new shoe laces have you? "Dangerous if untied!"

CWSmith
09-01-2014, 04:19 PM
You haven't read the warning on new shoe laces have you? "Dangerous if untied!"

Huh?

S.V. Airlie
09-01-2014, 04:20 PM
Joke CW...JOKE! I men Pop Tart boxes read I red letters; "hot when heated!"

CWSmith
09-01-2014, 04:21 PM
Joke CW...JOKE!

You're too subtle for me. I'll work on understanding it tonight.

S.V. Airlie
09-01-2014, 04:23 PM
You're too subtle for me. I'll work on understanding it tonight.Think of it like British Humour

CWSmith
09-01-2014, 04:30 PM
You do understand the laces were tied and it was the loops that caught the pedal?

Sorry. Maybe my brain is just fried tonight.

Glen Longino
09-01-2014, 04:43 PM
Reminds me of years ago when the world was only beginning to get complicated.
Store clerk asked if she could help me.
A told her I needed shoelaces.
She asked black or brown.
I said black.
She asked flat or round.
I said flat.
She asked 18 or 24.
I said I don't know.
She said you need to go home and measure. If you get too short they won't work and if you get too long they won't work.
What the hell?

hanleyclifford
09-01-2014, 04:48 PM
I said black.
She asked flat or round.
I said flat.
She asked 18 or 24.
I said I don't know.
She said you need to go home and measure. If you get too short they won't work and if you get too long they won't work.
What the hell? You were supposed to invite her along, Jester - duh, missed your cue.:D

Peerie Maa
09-01-2014, 04:49 PM
I said black.
She asked flat or round.
I said flat.
She asked 18 or 24.
I said I don't know.
What the hell?

You should have told her how many lace holes per side. That would test how well she knew her stock.

S.V. Airlie
09-01-2014, 05:06 PM
You do understand the laces were tied and it was the loops that caught the pedal?

Sorry. Maybe my brain is just fried tonight.Idon't think sematics s that important!
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608030858146285301&w=207&h=207&c=8&pid=3.1&qlt=90&rm=2

Donn
09-01-2014, 05:15 PM
I read it twice, and don't understand why you couldn't step on the brake pedal.

Ian McColgin
09-01-2014, 05:19 PM
Didn't want to use the left foot.

But sersiously, sailors really should know how to tie a proper two bow reef knot with the laces trimmed to a suitable length. If you must have long laces, as can happen with high tops or if your laces are subject to some snagging, like if you're a rigger or climber, then you learn how to tuck the ends and loops. People should not get past age eight without these basic skills.

Velcro. Arghhhh.

CWSmith
09-01-2014, 05:25 PM
The loops were unusually long and got around the brake. I could not get my foot over the snagged loops and onto the same brake peddle. I was surprised by it, but that's the way it worked. I did use the left foot to stop - kerky-jerky and not good if there are kids on the road.

Yes, plenty of solutions I suppose. Still, I have to tell you I really like these velcro straps. I can control the tightness down by the toes better and they stay as I set them all day long. It really is better.

Todd D
09-01-2014, 06:20 PM
Shoelaces? I wear Crocs in the summer. My wife gave me a pink pair. They work great for meeting women :D Of course, they think I am gay.

Arizona Bay
09-01-2014, 06:32 PM
The solution I use is to put a slipped half hitch around the two bows of the reef knot. It keeps all the loops small, the ends short, and the knot secure, it's also just as easy to untie, with the added bonus of 3 loops rather than two. It does require lacing your shoes with one end of the lace about 1/3 longer than the other for best workability. ;)

Vince Brennan
09-01-2014, 06:57 PM
That reminds me of the girl when I asked her why the double hamburger cost three times the price of the regular one, that said "It's because you get twice as much".
What the hell, indeed.
Lovely waitress at a summer job in a college town... Asked what time it was and she "couldn't read those round things without numbers on the face". Analog clocks not part of the curriculum, I suppose,

Rum_Pirate
09-01-2014, 08:53 PM
How to tie your shoelaces correctly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAFcV7zuUDA (http://www.ted.com/talks/terry_moore_how_to_tie_your_shoes?language=en)

L.W. Baxter
09-01-2014, 10:12 PM
http://topshelfhabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/cat-look-stupid-crocs.jpg

Waddie
09-01-2014, 10:24 PM
There is so much rancor in the bilge these days that I thought I'd start a thread dedicated to the old boys everywhere.

The other day, when getting into my car at the mailbox, my shoelaces snagged the brake peddle. I could push the accelerator, but not the break. Fortunately, I was headed UP the driveway and it was not a big deal, but it made a strong impression. I live on a street with no side walks. In the AM kids are playing in the street waiting for the school bus and parents are walking the dogs. It's all out in the street. If the same problem had happened in the AM it could have been bad.

So I told my wife I was getting shoes with velcro straps instead of laces. When they came her comment was "They don't look as geriatric as I expected." Not much of a compliment. Still, I really feel like it's one less thing to worry over. I'm surprised how much I like them. They stay tight all day and they never need retying. So I'm an old fart, but I like these velcro straps.

Shoelaces are so 20th century!

I don't think they're geriatric.....my two year old grand daughter loves hers..... In fact, I don't think they make lace-up shoes for really young kids.

Personally, I wear slip on leather house shoes just about everywhere these days, except when working.

regards,
Waddie

Glen Longino
09-01-2014, 10:34 PM
The ability to over-think, under-think, comment blindly, and completely befuddle rational minds is only possible here in the Bilge.
(Good luck, Mistah G! ;))

Ah, a smug elitist, elevated in his own mind above us mere pissants!
Good luck, Mistah Lefty!;)

S.V. Airlie
09-02-2014, 07:57 AM
Lovely waitress at a summer job in a college town... Asked what time it was and she "couldn't read those round things without numbers on the face". Analog clocks not part of the curriculum, I suppose,Give her a break, she's only in college!:)

George Jung
09-02-2014, 08:04 AM
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=HN.608021198757627723&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

the answer

Garret
09-02-2014, 11:19 AM
Shoelaces? I wear Crocs in the summer. My wife gave me a pink pair. They work great for meeting women :D Of course, they think I am gay.

Ditto - though mine are purple. If you're gonna have stoopid looking shoes, they might as well be a fun color!

They've gotten me lots of looks when wearing them in Provincetown & when we had Neoga at the WBS in Newport I'd get comments when wearing them around the show: "Oh, you're from Neoga" or "You're from that sloop on the outer dock". Seems size 13 purple Crocs on the dock next to the boat were noticed....