PDA

View Full Version : More FOX Misdirection

Ian McColgin
08-31-2014, 10:25 PM
[IMc - This discussion is a great example of how one can use selective quotations to create a deliberate propaganda lie. Goebbles obviously inspired but had nothing to teach these guys.]

MEDIAMATTERS
Fox Deceptively Edits Obama Speech To Accuse Him Of "Blaming Our Troops" For IS Threat
August 26, 2014 5:52 PM EDT

Fox News aired a deceptively cut clip of a speech President Obama gave to the American Legion to accuse him of blaming America's military for the threat posed by the terrorist organization known as the Islamic State (IS). But in his speech, Obama actually stressed that political differences in Iraq are driving this problem.

On the August 26 edition of Happening Now, Fox's Heather Nauert hosted the American Enterprise Institute's Danielle Pletka to scrutinize Obama's speech and overall approach to confronting IS. Fox played only a small portion from Obama's speech:

OBAMA: "The crisis in Iraq underscores how we have to meet today's evolving terrorist threat. The answer is not to send in large scale military deployments that overstretch our military and lead for us, occupying countries for a long period of time and end up feeding extremism. Rather, our military action in Iraq has to be part of a broader strategy to protect our people and support our partners."

After playing the video, Nauert said, "it almost sounded like he was blaming our troops and past occupations for this terror crisis that we're dealing with." Quick to agree, AEI's Pletka asked, "why is he suggesting up front that the presence of American troops anywhere is what fosters extremism? That is extraordinarily offensive."

But Fox cut out much of the president's message about the fight against IS, in which he emphasized that Iraqis bridging their political divides is key to defeating IS (emphasis added):

OBAMA: "As Commander-in-Chief, the security of the American people is my highest priority, and that's why, with the brutal terrorist group ISIL advancing in Iraq, I have authorized targeted strikes to protect our diplomats and military advisors who are there. (Applause.)

"And let me say it again: American combat troops will not be returning to fight in Iraq. I will not allow the United States to be dragged back into another ground war in Iraq. Because ultimately, it is up to the Iraqis to bridge their differences and secure themselves.

"And more broadly, the crisis in Iraq underscores how we have to meet today's evolving terrorist threat. The answer is not to send in large-scale military deployments that overstretch our military, and lead for us occupying countries for a long period of time, and end up feeding extremism. Rather, our military action in Iraq has to be part of a broader strategy to protect our people and support our partners to take the fight to ISIL.

"So we're strengthening our partners -- more military assistance to government and Kurdish forces in Iraq and moderate opposition in Syria. We're urging Iraqis to forge the kind of inclusive government that can deliver on national unity, and strong security forces and good governance that are ultimately going to be the antidote against terrorists. And we're urging countries in the region and building an international coalition, including our closest allies, to support Iraqis as they take the fight to these barbaric terrorists."

President Obama's remarks that IS can only be defeated if the Iraqis put aside their differences and unite echoes what Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Martin Dempsey said during an August 21 press briefing, when he stated that IS "will only truly be defeated when it's rejected by the 20 million disenfranchised Sunni that happen to reside between Damascus and Baghdad."

In his speech, the president also laid out 19 executive actions aimed at supporting American veterans, including: better access to medical care, building up mental health resources, recruiting top notch doctors, and further protections for whistleblowers at the Veterans Administration.

Keith Wilson
08-31-2014, 10:30 PM
'Misdirection' is much too kind. The correct term is 'lies'.

As you said, "Goebbels obviously inspired . . . Obama." :D

skuthorp
09-01-2014, 04:08 AM
It's Rupert, what else do you expect? I am glad he's one of your lot now.

John Smith
09-01-2014, 10:37 AM
The problem is a large chunk of our country watches this and believes it as fact.

Meanwhile, I'm told it's free speech and not to worry. Accepting this as free speech from Fox, Limbaugh, Beck, politicians themselves, other media, and political ads is going to be our downfall.

S.V. Airlie
09-01-2014, 10:38 AM
It's amazing how many libs appear to watch FOX! I don't!

Ian McColgin
09-01-2014, 10:47 AM
As one might deduce from my OP C&P, rather than watch Fox or any TV news, I read. In this case people who had noted Fox's untruthful editing of Obama's talk took the trouble of comparing transcripts and then writing a report of exactly what Fox did to convey a lie. I just read that. More reliable when the quotes are compared black letter to black letter.

S.V. Airlie
09-01-2014, 10:53 AM
So, you rely one what someone else says in the news? Isn't there something about " He said this about that" in a court of law is found not exceptable by a court.It's called Hearsay!

Ian McColgin
09-01-2014, 11:11 AM
Actually, it's good documentation. Were MediaMatters to falsify the Fox quotes Fox has but to produce the unedited tape.

The great majority of what we learn, whether history or language or any science is "second hand" in that someone else made the discovery and passed it along. Almost all knowledge is false to the degree that it's either incomplete or a bit misleading or subject to conflicting interpretations but educated adults learn how to discriminate among competing sources. It helps to not depend upon sources devoted to untruths - like the Christian fundies who have diaramas showing 'primitive' people riding dinasaurs or petro-paid climate change deniers or Fox news - for anything other than understanding what public lies are gaining traction.

Bubba L.
09-01-2014, 11:17 AM
Not news.

Gene

S.V. Airlie
09-01-2014, 11:45 AM
Actually, it's good documentation. Were MediaMatters to falsify the Fox quotes Fox has but to produce the unedited tape.

The great majority of what we learn, whether history or language or any science is "second hand" in that someone else made the discovery and passed it along. Almost all knowledge is false to the degree that it's either incomplete or a bit misleading or subject to conflicting interpretations but educated adults learn how to discriminate among competing sources. It helps to not depend upon sources devoted to untruths - like the Christian fundies who have diaramas showing 'primitive' people riding dinasaurs or petro-paid climate change deniers or Fox news - for anything other than understanding what public lies are gaining traction.So, you've indicated that Huffypoop is in the same category as FOX! Good, I can live with that. Actually experiments a usually documented by the experimenter!

Ian McColgin
09-01-2014, 01:37 PM
Ah Jamie, there are two interesting differences between Huffington and Fox. Huffington aggregates stories giving credit to the original reporting enabling one to double check so far as the public record goes. Fox just invents stuff, saying whatever fits the preconcieved narrative. And when factual errors are found in materials carried in Huffington, they are corrected. Fox does not acknowledge any of its falsehoods.

In any event, this expose of Fox prevarication was exposed by MediaMatters, a generally duller and more stolid outfit than Huffington because MediaMatters is concerned with the integrity of reporting from any source more than with the story itself. Huffington is a news story aggregator, rather like a news version of Readers' Digest. Fox is a simple propaganda organ.

S.V. Airlie
09-01-2014, 02:02 PM
Ah Jamie, there are two interesting differences between Huffington and Fox. Huffington aggregates stories giving credit to the original reporting enabling one to double check so far as the public record goes. Fox just invents stuff, saying whatever fits the preconcieved narrative. And when factual errors are found in materials carried in Huffington, they are corrected. Fox does not acknowledge any of its falsehoods.

In any event, this expose of Fox prevarication was exposed by MediaMatters, a generally duller and more stolid outfit than Huffington because MediaMatters is concerned with the integrity of reporting from any source more than with the story itself. Huffington is a news story aggregator, rather like a news version of Readers' Digest. Fox is a simple propaganda organ.They are concerned abut Money! he media usually is!

John Smith
09-01-2014, 02:25 PM
They are concerned abut Money! he media usually is!

You cannot make an honest comparison between FOX and media on the left. Usually, you can see a contrast. Fox gets caught making stuff up with a great deal of frequency. Everyone in the media is apt to make a mistake. Some, like Maddow, come on the air the next day and make a correction. Fox doesn't. Fox falsehoods are not mistakes; they are on purpose.

Remember when they got caught using video from another, more populated event, to make the event they were covering, and has promoted, look bigger than it was? Remember when Obama quoted McCain, and Fox presented that quote as if Obama had said it himself?

S.V. Airlie
09-01-2014, 02:27 PM
Well, true! I don't watch any of them! I do watch the BBC.