PDA

View Full Version : Mayor evicts man who won't pray from meeting

John Smith
08-31-2014, 03:06 PM
Christians scare me. This is just another example of why

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/08/31/3477694/florida-mayor-ejects-citizen/

David G
08-31-2014, 04:08 PM
There is no lack of folks who CALL themselves Christian... whose actual Christianity is suspect.

wizbang 13
08-31-2014, 04:14 PM
Brave hombre there .
The dis service to the troops overseas was done by the officials and the cop.

skuthorp
08-31-2014, 04:16 PM
Oddly enough I agree with the Mayor, but for other reasons. The man's actions have much the same motivations as those who carry an assault rifle to the mall as far as I can see.
"Rees told the Sentinel (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-mayor-tosses-man-for-not-standing-for-pledge-of-20140829,0,80941.story) that because Richardson has previously come and left after the prayer and invocation, he believes “he doesn’t come to the meetings because he cares about the city.” "

Ian McColgin
08-31-2014, 04:33 PM
There's a mayor who is both anti-American and anti-Christian. Jerk. Needs a bit of correction.

Dave Hadfield
08-31-2014, 04:41 PM
I like a country where there is freedom OF religion, and freedom FROM religion; either, if you want it.

Dave

Peter Malcolm Jardine
08-31-2014, 05:57 PM
I hope he sues everyone involved.

CWSmith
08-31-2014, 06:34 PM
I hope he sues everyone involved.

Ditto! This nonsense has to stop and it won't stop until someone pays money for their mistake.

John Smith
08-31-2014, 06:38 PM
I stopped saying the pledge in elementary school. I got less static than I would have expected.

Congress begins every day with a prayer, which shows us how effective praying is.

bobbys
08-31-2014, 06:44 PM
I stopped saying the pledge in elementary school. I got less static than I would have expected.

Congress begins every day with a prayer, which shows us how effective praying is..

If you are going to hate Christianity . You need to find better examples..

Sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder not wanting to say the pledge.

You worked for the PO and took your pay checks all right and your pension.

CWSmith
08-31-2014, 06:50 PM
The pledge does not bother me, although I think it's more for show than anything. If it inspired more people to consider the sacrifices others before them have made and the sacrifices we make for society, I would like it more.

Prayer is a personal thing with far to many different opinions. I'm not opposed to it, but it should not be forced on people.

The mayor is wrong.

skuthorp
08-31-2014, 07:03 PM
So no one minds that, if the mayor is correct, that this man was only there again to make a point but not to contribute in any way?

CWSmith
08-31-2014, 07:06 PM
So no one minds that, if the mayor is correct, that this man was only there again to make a point but not to contribute in any way?

At a public meeting? Is this wrong?

John Smith
08-31-2014, 07:23 PM

What's one got to do with the other? God wasn't writing my paychecks.

I hate Christians trying to force me to be one.

John Smith
08-31-2014, 07:24 PM

How do you know what he would have brought up at the meeting had he been allowed to stay?

Osborne Russell
08-31-2014, 08:13 PM
Oddly enough I agree with the Mayor, but for other reasons.

He had no other reasons. **** him, **** his hick town, and long live the rights of man. You really think someone is going to sit there and judge whether or not I have a right to sit there, based on his assessment of the value of my "contribution"?

In any case, Joseph Richardson was making the most important point and the greatest contribution possible, by refusing to be bullied by these cretins. What's needed is a couple hundred people to cram that chamber packed full, with no other reason to be there than to obstruct these procedures, and to prevent the transaction of any other business at all. Let the town fall to ruin. Long live the rights of man.

Donn
08-31-2014, 08:19 PM
Oddly enough I agree with the Mayor, but for other reasons. The man's actions have much the same motivations as those who carry an assault rifle to the mall as far as I can see.
"Rees told the Sentinel (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-mayor-tosses-man-for-not-standing-for-pledge-of-20140829,0,80941.story) that because Richardson has previously come and left after the prayer and invocation, he believes “he doesn’t come to the meetings because he cares about the city.” "

+1.

The Mayor is perfectly within his rights to prevent this jerk from disrupting the meeting.

Richardson and Osborne have a lot in common. They both fight for the "rights of man" to act like a fool.

PS...the thread title is at least misleading, if not an outright lie. Richardson's ejection had nothing at all to do with him not praying.

Ian McColgin
08-31-2014, 08:27 PM
Richardson was not disrupting anything. No one had to make a point of trying to force anything or even take notice. The mayor chose to disrupt the meeting with his anti-Christian anti-American narrowminded bigotry.

CWSmith
08-31-2014, 08:34 PM
Town hall meetings should be public and I greatly resent any that are not. People should be able to come and go as they please so long as they are not disruptive. The mayor was disruptive.

BTW, I'm Catholic and I believe in the power of prayer. I don't believe in forcing it on anyone. I view the freedom of religion as something that protects me from people like the mayor who I doubt I agree with on very many things.

hokiefan
08-31-2014, 08:42 PM
+1.

The Mayor is perfectly within his rights to prevent this jerk from disrupting the meeting.

Richardson and Osborne have a lot in common. They both fight for the "rights of man" to act like a fool.

PS...the thread title is at least misleading, if not an outright lie. Richardson's ejection had nothing at all to do with him not praying.

So sitting there quietly is disruptive. What a joke. The mayor is a jerk.

Ian McColgin
08-31-2014, 08:47 PM
It does appear that Donn has a point - Reese did his eviction because Reichardson declined to stand for the Pledge, just as school children are allowed to do per long standing court decisions which the Mayor has chosen either willfully to disregard or chosen to lie about or chosen to remain ignorant of. Some understandable confusion arises due to Reese's irritated remarks about Richardson leaving after prayers in past meetings.

CWSmith
08-31-2014, 08:49 PM
The law can force us to stand for the pledge? As a citizen, I resent that. I stand, but it's a choice within a free society.

Ian McColgin
08-31-2014, 08:58 PM
There is no law compelling anyone to stand during the Pledge and since 1942's WEST VIRGINIA STATE BOARD OF ED. v. BARNETTE decision the courts have been clear that any attempt to so compell is unlawful in the United States of America.

No real Christian would compel any other person to pray or to make any praying gesture - standing, kneeling, bowing head, or anything.

And no real American would compel another to stand or recite the Pledge.

That's why I say that Reese is anti-Christian and anti-American.

CWSmith
08-31-2014, 09:07 PM
There is no law compelling anyone to stand during the Pledge and since 1942's WEST VIRGINIA STATE BOARD OF ED. v. BARNETTE decision the courts have been clear that any attempt to so compell is unlawful in the United States of America.

No real Christian would compel any other person to pray or to make any praying gesture - standing, kneeling, bowing head, or anything.

And no real American would compel another to stand or recite the Pledge.

That's why I say that Reese is anti-Christian and anti-American.

Glad to hear the former. I agree with your conclusions. Clearly, there are communities that do not.

John Smith
08-31-2014, 09:16 PM
+1.

How does a man sitting there disrupt anything?

Rum_Pirate
08-31-2014, 10:42 PM
Christians scare me. This is just another example of why

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/08/31/3477694/florida-mayor-ejects-citizen/

Wow scared of Christians because a minority (of one in this instance) ejects a citizen from a meeting.

I am not supporting the mayor.

Wonder how scared you'd be if ISIS (not a minority of one) were in town?

Rum_Pirate
08-31-2014, 10:48 PM
What's one got to do with the other? God wasn't writing my paychecks.

I hate Christians trying to force me to be one.

And what is your view on the Islamic faith (or even the radicals of that faith) that want to enforce Sharia law everywhere, kill those that are not, and do not want to become adherents to the Muslim faith, kill those the convert from Islam to another faith etc?

Where are Christians, even this minority (of one) forcing you to become a Christian?

Breakaway
08-31-2014, 10:57 PM
Suppose we give Reese benefit of doubt and maintain that Richardson is historically disruptive at meetings? just for a second? If Reese used prayer, or the pledge, or anything else as a means of removing a jerk who won't abide the rules of order of a meeting, so be it.

kevin

hokiefan
08-31-2014, 11:04 PM
Suppose we give Reese benefit of doubt and maintain that Richardson is historically disruptive at meetings? just for a second? If Reese used prayer, or the pledge, or anything else as a means of removing a jerk who won't abide the rules of order of a meeting, so be it.

kevin

In this particular example, the mayor doesn't have a leg to stand on. There may be a history, but there was no disruption in this case, other than the mayor displaying his jerkiness. YMMV.

Cheers,

Bobby

Paul Girouard
08-31-2014, 11:05 PM

kevin

That doesn't work here , we have to demonize the Christian, always, in the narrative.

Ian McColgin
08-31-2014, 11:07 PM
My view of Islamic fundamentalist-fascists is the same as my view of Christian fundamentalist-fascists and Jewish fundamentalist-fascists and even the obscure to most westerners Bhuddist fundamentalist-fascists.

We are a big and tolorant society and we can even tolorate intolorant minorities so long as they practice their intolorance within their own sect and recognize that some of theirs may well choose freedom and leave. We need to constantly limit their ability to impose their will on others.

But I reserve a special irritation for US pseudo-Christians and phoney patriots who attempt to subvert our experiment in tolorant democratic self-governance. It's a tribal thing as I have plenty of kin among the ignorant and intolorant right so I take it more personally. Rather in the same way that one of my Indonesian friends has a special loathing for Islamic extreemists. These things are especially offensive when they are done by one's own people claiming to be acting in one's own name. Not much I can do about Islamic fundies abroad but there's plenty I can and must do about the evil in my own society.

Flying Orca
09-01-2014, 08:17 AM

I don't - it's an important point, and it seems it has to be made over and over and over and over and over until these numbskull religious types get it.

Flying Orca
09-01-2014, 08:19 AM
And what is your view on the Islamic faith (or even the radicals of that faith) that want to enforce Sharia law everywhere, kill those that are not, and do not want to become adherents to the Muslim faith, kill those the convert from Islam to another faith etc?

No different from the Christians who did the same thing not so very long ago.

Where are Christians, even this minority (of one) forcing you to become a Christian?

Every time they force non-Christians to participate in their religious rituals they act from the same ignorant bigotry as their spiritual forefathers in the Inquisition and the Crusades.

Greg Nolan
09-01-2014, 08:52 AM
. . . .the same ignorant bigotry as their spiritual forefathers in the Inquisition and the Crusades.

You don't have to go so far back or so far away for such spiritual forefathers -- how about those who burned witches and hanged Quakers right here in New England?

S.V. Airlie
09-01-2014, 08:55 AM
You don't have to go so far back or so far away for such spiritual forefathers -- how about those who burned witches and hanged Quakers right here in New England?It wasn't aboutwitches! It was about lan! omne wanted land someone else had/owned. Witches were the excuse that snowballed!

John Smith
09-01-2014, 09:01 AM
Wow scared of Christians because a minority (of one in this instance) ejects a citizen from a meeting.

I am not supporting the mayor.

Wonder how scared you'd be if ISIS (not a minority of one) were in town?

You forget the KKK was/is a Christian organization, or an organization of Christians. Their history is not without blemish. Today they are doing their best, and finding some success, in imposing their Christian beliefs in our laws. Yes, that scares me. Perhaps not as much as ISIS, but you seem to think because they are less frightening they are not frightening.

John Smith
09-01-2014, 09:06 AM

I think all religions are bad, because all can be used to justify the unjustifiable. Every man with a religious belief believes his beliefs make him somehow superior to those who believe differently, and they are apt to set out to force their beliefs on others, hate those who don't believe as they do, and we've seen how this works often.

An individual has the right to not believe in any God. He has the right, in this country, to NOT pray with the group and/or not say the Pledge. That right is what those who've died in war have allegedly died to protect.

John Smith
09-01-2014, 09:07 AM

kevin

If the man comes to all meetings and simply sits during the pledge and refuses to join the prayer, that seems to me not very disrupting. No matter how often he does so.

S.V. Airlie
09-01-2014, 09:08 AM
Jefferson was an aetheist wasn't he? Would the mayor have kicked him out of the meeting?

John Smith
09-01-2014, 09:14 AM
I've said this before. Once "under God" was put into the pledge, I did not feel welcome in this country. When the court ruled the school could not sponsor a prayer, the religious folks started to tell us, and have been telling us, it's illegal to pray in school; another lie.

I pay my taxes and I have every right to go to a town meeting and express my views. My rights include not praying.

At a town meeting, also posted before, I asked why churches get a free ride on property tax. The mayor, city attorney, 7 councilmen and the court clerk were all present. NONE could explain what this is.

I often post, and it gets ignore just as often, that congress begins every day with a prayer. It doesn't seem to help, so why waste the time?

S.V. Airlie
09-01-2014, 09:18 AM
A prayer is needed. Afterall "in God we Trust!"

Breakaway
09-01-2014, 09:21 AM
here may be a history, but there was no disruption in this case, other than the mayor displaying his jerkiness. YMMV.

I have to disagree. A person known to be disruptive should get the boot before he gets a chance to disrupt again. The rights of the others in attendance to participate in an orderly meeting supersede the rights of one showboater trying to prove his point and being out of order. If he doesn't like it: tough. He should not have been repeatedly disruptive.

Again, we don't know that this is the case. I am just saying that booting someone for breaking up the meeting is different than booting them for religious or patriotic reasons. Furthermore, just because religion or patriotism was cited doesn't mean that was the reason--it was just the excuse; just something to say while an idiot gets bounced.

Kevin

Ian McColgin
09-01-2014, 09:29 AM
Interesting point Breakaway. By your reasoning, since it was Reese who lawlessly disrupted the meeting and has exposed his town to the risk of serious litigation, Reese should be banned.

But I disagree. I think the legal issues will provide Reese with an adequate civic education to make up for his obvious neglect of the lessons he seems to have slept through in eighth grade and I doubt he will disrupt such meetings in that way again.

S.V. Airlie
09-01-2014, 09:32 AM
I have to disagree. A person known to be disruptive should get the boot before he gets a chance to disrupt again. The rights of the others in attendance to participate in an orderly meeting supersede the rights of one showboater trying to prove his point and being out of order. If he doesn't like it: tough. He should not have been repeatedly disruptive.

Again, we don't know that this is the case. I am just saying that booting someone for breaking up the meeting is different than booting them for religious or patriotic reasons. Furthermore, just because religion or patriotism was cited doesn't mean that was the reason--it was just the excuse; just something to say while an idiot gets bounced.

KevinI wonder if the Queen of the Netherlands or the orchestra would agree!

CWSmith
09-01-2014, 09:33 AM

kevin

How about instead we just play by the rules? If he is truly disruptive, go to the judge and ask for a court order to keep him out? There are right ways and wrong ways.

John Smith
09-01-2014, 09:33 AM

Kevin

You're going to have to show what he has done at any meeting other than sit quietly while the rest prayed and pledged. If they find sitting there quietly to be disruptive, I'd suggest THEY have a problem.

Ian McColgin
09-01-2014, 09:34 AM
Being Right means not needing no stinkin' constitutional rules.

CWSmith
09-01-2014, 09:43 AM
Jefferson was an aetheist wasn't he?

No.

Bubba L.
09-01-2014, 09:51 AM

This is just an opinion of the mayor's but even if true a public meeting is the perfect place to make a quiet, civil, statement.

No one said anything hateful bobbys. But you know that, you just like stiring up s**t you hateful so and so.
As for someone taking their pay while not being a Christian, well, nowhere does the constitution say that you have to be one to get a gov job. And while we're on the subject, if you want to stand behind your bible for defence, read it sometime. It expresly forbids swearing an oath and the pledge of allegence is an oath.

Really, it's sad that athiests have to explain the bible to Christians, but then your posts prove beyond any doubt that you're not one.

This case is a slam dunk in any court. Even our Supreme Court.

Gene

Bubba L.
09-01-2014, 09:59 AM
+1.

The Mayor was the trouble maker and if he thinks that the pledge is how we show support for the troops he is too stupid to be in his job.

As for the actions of the man he had kicked out, how are we a free nation if he can't disagree quietly in a public meeting?

Gene

S.V. Airlie
09-01-2014, 10:04 AM
I wonder what the mayor would have done if someone showed up like this?

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=HN.608011913038466367&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

Bubba L.
09-01-2014, 10:04 AM
That doesn't work here , we have to demonize the Christian, always, in the narrative.

No, no, not the Christians. It is the fake Christians who are dangerous. Those Christians who do want to force their beliefs on all. There is a world of difference.

Gene

Bubba L.
09-01-2014, 10:09 AM

I can't speak for John, but I can anwser your totally out in left field question about extreme Muslims. I don't want any religion forced on me. Extremists from any religion are dangerous and need to be stopped. Just because the mayor in question isn't running around Florida killing non believers doesn't make him right.

Gene

Bubba L.
09-01-2014, 10:13 AM
My view of Islamic fundamentalist-fascists is the same as my view of Christian fundamentalist-fascists and Jewish fundamentalist-fascists and even the obscure to most westerners Bhuddist fundamentalist-fascists.

We are a big and tolorant society and we can even tolorate intolorant minorities so long as they practice their intolorance within their own sect and recognize that some of theirs may well choose freedom and leave. We need to constantly limit their ability to impose their will on others.

But I reserve a special irritation for US pseudo-Christians and phoney patriots who attempt to subvert our experiment in tolorant democratic self-governance. It's a tribal thing as I have plenty of kin among the ignorant and intolorant right so I take it more personally. Rather in the same way that one of my Indonesian friends has a special loathing for Islamic extreemists. These things are especially offensive when they are done by one's own people claiming to be acting in one's own name. Not much I can do about Islamic fundies abroad but there's plenty I can and must do about the evil in my own society.

Y>

Gene

Osborne Russell
09-01-2014, 11:01 AM
. . . your totally out in left field question about extreme Muslims . . .

1. What about Obama?
2. What about the Democrats?
3. What about the Muslims?

I sure am glad I have a lot of S for brains Reds protecting me from everyone because everyone is the enemy because everyone is the same, I mean hey, what about the Muslims? I mean the least I can do is submit to their compelled saluting, because what about Obama. Who would disrupt so sacred a moment?

Flying Orca
09-01-2014, 11:06 AM
You don't have to go so far back or so far away for such spiritual forefathers -- how about those who burned witches and hanged Quakers right here in New England?

...or those who ran the residential schools that attempted to wipe out First Nations culture and replace it with Christianity.

Flying Orca
09-01-2014, 11:08 AM
I think all religions are bad, because all can be used to justify the unjustifiable.

Exactly. When faith replaces fact, when revelation replaces reflection, when doctrine replaces morality, there you will find humans at their unthinking worst.

Canoeyawl
09-01-2014, 11:49 AM
+1.

"The First Amendment guarantees religious freedom and speech. Additionally, section 3 of Florida’s state constitution explicitly demands a strict separation between the state and its subdivisions and religion. While schools do require that the pledge be recited in public school classrooms, Rees is incorrect on the requirements. Students have the right to sit quietly if they do not wish to participate. In a 1942 case on this exact question, the U.S. Supreme Court held that students cannot be coerced into reciting or standing for the pledge. Justice Robert H. Jackson wrote in his majority opinion that “if there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein.”"

isla
09-01-2014, 11:50 AM
If a truly public meeting; what would be required of a visiting foreign national attending?That's a good point. If I was there I would just sit.

Dan McCosh
09-01-2014, 12:01 PM
I used to remain seated when the Black National Anthem was played at school meetings. I also remained seated when the U.S. national anthem was played during dinner at a restaurant. Neither seemed appropriate. No one complained.

S.V. Airlie
09-01-2014, 12:04 PM
I used to remain seated when the Black National Anthem was played at school meetings. I also remained seated when the U.S. national anthem was played during dinner at a restaurant. Neither seemed appropriate. No one complained.I have no idea what this is! Is it rap?

Flying Orca
09-01-2014, 12:06 PM
I wondered the same thing, so I googled it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lift_Every_Voice_and_Sing

Never heard of it.

hokiefan
09-01-2014, 12:07 PM

Kevin

Watch the video Kevin, he did nothing to break up the meeting. He just sat there. He was very polite when he declined to stand. If anyone disrupted this meeting it was the mayor, regardless of what may or may not have happened at any other meeting.

Bobby

Dan McCosh
09-01-2014, 12:10 PM
I have no idea what this is! Is it rap? < Rap circa 1900? I guess the Civil Rights movement passed you by.

Breakaway
09-01-2014, 12:32 PM
I know what you are sayin, Bobby --and others. And I did watch the video. It appears a setup to me. Richardson was taping himself before the mayor made his request. It even sounded like he was wearing a microphone. So, while this eviction may not have been by-the-books, there was more afoot here.

Best

Kevin

Ian McColgin
09-01-2014, 12:51 PM
Kevin is likely right that Richardson had prior knowledge of Reese's unlawful, anti-American and anti-Christian proclivities and had planned to allow Reese to display himself in a manner that brooked no lies, evasions or denials.

ron ll
09-01-2014, 12:51 PM
I know what you are sayin, Bobby --and others. And I did watch the video. It appears a setup to me. Richardson was taping himself before the mayor made his request. It even sounded like he was wearing a microphone. So, while this eviction may not have been by-the-books, there was more afoot here.

Best

Kevin

Of course there was more afoot. How else would one get evidence that this jerk is breaking an important law?

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
09-01-2014, 12:58 PM
O Thou, that in the heavens does dwell,
As it pleases best Thysel',
Sends aen to Heaven an' ten to Hell,
For Thy glory,
And no for onie guid or ill
They've done afore Thee!

I bless and praise Thy matchless might,
When thousands Thou hast left in night,
That I am here afore Thy sight,
For gifts an' grace
A burning and a shining light
To a' this place.

What was I, or my generation,
That I should get sic exaltation?
I wha deserv'd most just damnation
For broken laws,
Six thousand years 'ere my creation,
Thro' Adam's cause.

When from my mither's womb I fell,
Thou might hae plung'd me deep in hell,
To gnash my gums, and weep and wail,
In burnin lakes,
Where damned devils roar and yell,
Chain'd to their stakes.

Yet I am here a chosen sample,
To show thy grace is great and ample;
I'm here a pillar o' Thy temple,
Strong as a rock,
A guide, a buckler, and example,
To a' Thy flock.

O Lord, Thou kens what zeal I bear,
When drinkers drink, an' swearers swear,
An' singing here, an' dancin there,
Wi' great and sma';
For I am keepit by Thy fear
Free frae them a'.

But yet, O Lord! confess I must,
At times I'm fash'd wi' fleshly lust:
An' sometimes, too, in worldly trust,
Vile self gets in;
But Thou remembers we are dust,
Defil'd wi' sin.

O Lord! yestreen, Thou kens, wi' Meg
Thy pardon I sincerely beg;
O may't ne'er be a livin' plague
To my dishonour,
An' I'll ne'er lift a lawless leg
Again upon her.

Besides, I farther maun avow,
Wi' Leezie's lass, three times I trow -
But Lord, that Friday I was fou,
When I cam near her;
Or else, Thou kens, Thy servant true
Wad never steer her.

Maybe Thou lets this fleshly thorn
Buffet Thy servant e'en and morn,
Lest he owre proud and high shou'd turn,
That he's sae gifted:
If sae, Thy han' maun e'en be borne,
Until Thou lift it.

Lord, bless Thy chosen in this place,
For here Thou has a chosen race!
But God confound there stuborn face,
An' blast their name,
Wha brings Thy elders to disgrace
An' open shame.

Lord, mind Gaw'n Hamilton's deserts;
He drinks, an' swears, an' plays at cartes,
Yet has sae mony takin arts,
Wi' great an' sma',
Frae God's ain priest the people's hearts
He steals awa'.

And when we chasten'd him therefore,
Thou kens how he bred sic a splore,
And set the world in a roar
O' laughing at us;
Curse Thou his basket and his store,
Kail an' potatoes.

Lord, hear my earnest cry and pray'r,
Against that Presbyt'ry o' Ayr;
Thy strong right hand, Lord mak it bare
Upo' their heads;
Lord visit them, an' dinna spare,
For their misdeeds.

O Lord my God! that glib-tongu'd Aitken,
My vera heart an' flesh are quakin,
To think how we stood sweatin, shakin,
An' pish'd wi' dread,
While he, wi' hingin lip an' snakin,
Held up his head.

Lord, in Thy day o' vengeance try him,
Lord, visit them wha did employ him,
And pass not in Thy mercy by them,
Nor hear their pray'r,
But for Thy people's sake destroy them,
An' dinna spare.

But, Lord, remember me an' mine
Wi' mercies temporal and divine,
That I for grace an' gear may shine,
Excell'd by nane,
And a' the glory shall be Thine,
Amen, Amen!

John Smith
09-01-2014, 01:34 PM
No, no, not the Christians. It is the fake Christians who are dangerous. Those Christians who do want to force their beliefs on all. There is a world of difference.

Gene
How does one determine or identify a 'fake' Christian. Five Supreme Court justices recently rendered a decision based on their personal Christian beliefs, rather than on our constitution.

Any religion in political power is, IMO, dangerous.

Real Christians, I think, should stay out of government.

Rum_Pirate
09-01-2014, 01:34 PM
"The First Amendment guarantees religious freedom and speech. Additionally, section 3 of Florida’s state constitution explicitly demands a strict separation between the state and its subdivisions and religion. While schools do require that the pledge be recited in public school classrooms, Rees is incorrect on the requirements. Students have the right to sit quietly if they do not wish to participate. In a 1942 case on this exact question, the U.S. Supreme Court held that students cannot be coerced into reciting or standing for the pledge. Justice Robert H. Jackson wrote in his majority opinion that “if there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein.”"

Standing for a national anthem is purely a mark of respect.

If one wishes to be respectful or disrespectful so be it.

Blast From The Past: Usain Bolt SHOCKS reporter during U.S. National Anthem (video)CLASSISM (http://theblacksphere.net/category/classism/), FEATURED (http://theblacksphere.net/category/featured/), VIDEOS (http://theblacksphere.net/category/video/) 414 COMMENTS (http://theblacksphere.net/2014/2/usain-bolt-national-anthem#comments)

In a time when everybody seems to disrespect what it means to be American, watch what Usain Bolt does.
I have seen many Americans, particularly blacks, do nothing when the national anthem is played. And yet, here is a Jamaican sprinter who has the class to stop an interview, and pay tribute to Americans.

Read more at http://theblacksphere.net/2014/2/usain-bolt-national-anthem#mdRbf8thRYoja6Re.99

EG: http://snopes.com/politics/obama/anthem.asp

S.V. Airlie
09-01-2014, 01:37 PM
< Rap circa 1900? I guess the Civil Rights movement passed you by.I'm not 114 years old yet!

Peerie Maa
09-01-2014, 01:40 PM
+1.

How was sitting down with his mouth shut disrupting anything?

Rum_Pirate
09-01-2014, 01:40 PM
http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?p=4275943#post4275943)And what is your view on the Islamic faith (or even the radicals of that faith) that want to enforce Sharia law everywhere, kill those that are not, and do not want to become adherents to the Muslim faith, kill those the convert from Islam to another faith etc?

Where are Christians, even this minority (of one) forcing you to become a Christian?I can't speak for John, but I can anwser your totally out in left field question about extreme Muslims. I don't want any religion forced on me. Extremists from any religion are dangerous and need to be stopped. Just because the mayor in question isn't running around Florida killing non believers doesn't make him right.

Gene

Is really totally out in left field?

What is your view about the Islamic faith (and radicals) raised above? Is your answer to it simply "I don't want any religion forced on me."?
Do you agree with it?

I never said that the mayor was right, I asked "Where are Christians, even this minority (of one) forcing you to become a Christian?".

Rum_Pirate
09-01-2014, 01:42 PM
http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Donn http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?p=4275801#post4275801)+1.

The Mayor is perfectly within his rights to prevent this jerk from disrupting the meeting.How was sitting down with his mouth shut disrupting anything?

Probably similar disruption to the black chap (waiting for his children) that was arrested for sitting a Bank's chair.

S.V. Airlie
09-01-2014, 02:02 PM
Probably similar disruption to the black chap (waiting for his children) that was arrested for sitting a Bank's chair.Someone asked me if sitting in a chair at a bank I did not use was not noticed. I was, and was questioned. I suppose I could have been arrested if I had not answered those who asked correctly. In a big city, probably not even questioned. Small town, I was! g

CWSmith
09-01-2014, 02:10 PM
Real Christians, I think, should stay out of government.

John, you really are a pain sometimes. Why don't we say African Americans should stay out. They only have 60 years of experience? And Jews because every Jew is also a citizen of Israel. And atheists because they have no moral compass. And any other bit of tripe you or some other bigot can think of. Don't you get tired of fearing people? You paint every person of faith with the KKK as you did earlier or the Crusades or the Inquisition. You really do get tiresome sometimes.

Horace
09-01-2014, 02:16 PM
John, you really are a pain sometimes. Why don't we say African Americans should stay out. They only have 60 years of experience? And Jews because every Jew is also a citizen of Israel. And atheists because they have no moral compass. And any other bit of tripe you or some other bigot can think of. Don't you get tired of fearing people? You paint every person of faith with the KKK as you did earlier or the Crusades or the Inquisition. You really do get tiresome sometimes.Dayum, Doc. I had to log back in to thank you for your post. (Do cut J. D. some slack, though--we all get tiresome at times. :D)

CWSmith
09-01-2014, 02:56 PM
Dayum, Doc. I had to log back in to thank you for your post. (Do cut J. D. some slack, though--we all get tiresome at times. :D)

You mean John? I think very highly of John or I would not bother to tell him he's behaving badly. He's a smart guy and he cares about people. That puts him high on the list right from the start. But not every person of faith is a bigot or ignorant or arrogant... It's a hell of a tar brush that he and Orca swing from time to time. But I like and respect both of them.

Flying Orca
09-01-2014, 02:59 PM
Guilty as charged, but I usually try to remember to say "some". ;)

And thank you.

Osborne Russell
09-02-2014, 03:32 PM

"It was a set-up!" -- said the thief as they led him away after he sold the stolen goods to an undercover cop. "He was there waiting for me, concealing his purpose! It's like he wanted me to steal the stuff just so he could arrest me!"

Take him away.

There's no way the eviction could have been "by the books." It was illegal. There was more afoot? Like what? So what? Was he being evicted for refusing to comply with an illegal order or for the something more that was afoot? Which was well known to the authorities, which it must have been, in order to motivate their actions -- or does it go like this, they can use force on you first, illegally, but if it's found out later that something more was afoot, it's okay?