PDA

View Full Version : NY Times bestseller list.

Jim Bow
08-29-2014, 06:55 PM
Recently, a Seattle megachurch pastor got bustedby his congregationfor spending thousands of church dollars to get his book on marriage to the top of the NYTimes best seller list. Something about strategic anonymous purchasing.

Now, I see that Paul Ryan's autobiography is #5 on the list.

Are there that many people interested in Paul Ryan's childhood?

Tom Montgomery
08-29-2014, 07:48 PM
My guess is a significant number of copies of the book are being purchased by GOP PAC's to be given out to donors.

S.V. Airlie
08-29-2014, 09:24 PM
Recently, a Seattle megachurch pastor got bustedby his congregationfor spending thousands of church dollars to get his book on marriage to the top of the NYTimes best seller list. Something about strategic anonymous purchasing.

Are there that many people interested in Paul Ryan's childhood?Sometimes, no! Sometime, I'd lie to learn (figure out) what makes this guy tick. If have to read about his childhood, it might be the only way.

Jim Bow
08-29-2014, 09:34 PM
Sometimes, no! Sometime, I'd lie to learn (figure out) what makes this guy tick. If have to read about his childhood, it might be the only way.
$27.00 a copy.

S.V. Airlie
08-29-2014, 09:43 PM
$27.00 a copy.Then, no thank you!I'll wait for the movie!:)

Horace
08-29-2014, 09:47 PM

Are there that many people interested in Paul Ryan's childhood?A technique pioneered by L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology? (http://www.latimes.com/local/la-scientology062890-story.html#page=1)

Or does it predate him/them?

Donn
08-29-2014, 09:57 PM

It predates Hubbard.

In the days before B. Dalton and Waldenbooks, the primary booksellers were every large city's department stores. They were the only stores/chains to report to the New York Times, for the best seller list. They frequently reported sales which were based upon their purchases of the book in question, before the sales actually happened.

While there were cases where special interest groups bought large quantities in order to advance the title on the list, the most common reason for a book's appearance on the list was large advance purchases by large department stores reporting their advance purchases.

The remainder book business was founded on the returns of department stores, of titles which had been NYT bestsellers, but never really sold.

Tom Montgomery
08-29-2014, 10:15 PM
$27.00 a copy.
Not for long. Ask Donn about the remainder table.

Tom Montgomery
08-29-2014, 10:20 PM
While there were cases where special interest groups bought large quantities in order to advance the title on the list, the most common reason for a book's appearance on the list was large advance purchases by large department stores reporting their advance purchases.
How long have you been out of the business?

I would suggest that purchases of politician's books in large quantity by special interest groups is more prevalent today than when you were in the business.

S.V. Airlie
08-30-2014, 07:11 AM
Pols. are getting huge advances on their books! If they get them, the publishers have to regroup to get their money back and make a profit. Otherwise, they go out of business Hence, They are caught between rock and a hard place.

Bubba L.
08-30-2014, 09:58 AM
Sometimes, no! Sometime, I'd lie to learn (figure out) what makes this guy tick. If have to read about his childhood, it might be the only way.

He's mad because he doesn't get his way. He's really quite easy to figure out.

Gene

johnw
08-30-2014, 03:16 PM
A technique pioneered by L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology? (http://www.latimes.com/local/la-scientology062890-story.html#page=1)

It goes back to at least 1971.

http://booksellersvsbestsellers.blogspot.com/2010/10/manipulation-and-bestseller-lists.html
Republicans found an argument they liked in Edith Efron's 1971 book, The News Twisters. Efron used her judgment of whether television news reports were biased to show that in fact they were. Nixon liked the book so well that he told Charles Colson to make it a best seller. Colson found out which stores the New York Times consulted in determining its best seller list, then took $8,000 from the Nixon campaign fund and bought out the stock in those stores. The book, which Colson had thought destined for obscurity when he read it before Nixon spoke to him about it, became influential as a result.