PDA

View Full Version : NZ Politics.

seanz
08-27-2014, 09:22 PM
You know, six months ago I didn't think this election was going to be any fun at all. Just look at it now. :D

AnalogKid
08-27-2014, 09:26 PM
I'm not sure I'd describe it as fun. Are you going to do a quick round-up to introduce the main protagonists to our overseas friends?

seanz
08-27-2014, 09:35 PM
I'm not sure I'd describe it as fun. Are you going to do a quick round-up to introduce the main protagonists to our overseas friends?

I'm not sure they'd believe me.
:)

At what stage should I mention the giant German internet billionaire and the leftist radicals? The Prime Minister that treats the state intelligence agency as HR? Winston Peters? The absence of John Banks? How the Finance Minister is standing aside from his seat to allow a 23 yo tobacco lobbyist a chance to serve the people of Southland?

No, lets just enjoy the circus while it lasts........

AnalogKid
08-27-2014, 09:41 PM
The Labour Party that looked to it's Australian brethren on how best to run a leadership contest, the ex-North Shore mayor who so alienates his colleagues even Winston refuses to list him (and I can't get a handle on Peters after 10 years of watching his antics), the Minister of Justice and her ever-lasting last chance...

And then you'd have to find adjectives up to the job of describing Colin Craig!

John B
08-27-2014, 11:26 PM
please , o please can we also have local body politics so we can tell the world about the mayor of the biggest city in New Zild who cheats on his wife and family by bonking some chicky babe in the Ngati Whatua room of the City Council building, but still has his job using up our money. I wouldn't trust the git to give proper change after going to get the milk.

AnalogKid
08-27-2014, 11:41 PM
And his 'black budget' that cuts away at everything but his white elephant central rail loop. Does he seriously think they'll call it the Len Brown Line and sing his praises forever more. Cut that one over-priced and marginally beneficial programme and we could all have our berms mowed twice a week.

purri
08-27-2014, 11:46 PM
Hey, by our standards that's local government antics.
Since our last (NSW) state election in 2011 corruption has claimed ten scalps of the reactionary govt and there's more to come.

BTW today I sat in on a NSW State govt advisory panel. There is to be a promotion by the current Minister. I enquired "who's that this week?" Guffaws all around.

PeterSibley
08-28-2014, 12:58 AM
You guys have it good , we're off to war to prop up Tony's polls .

The Bigfella
08-28-2014, 02:11 AM
What is this famous woman in NZ politics famous for?

http://images.tvnz.co.nz/tvnz_images/national_news/2013/10/bevan_chuang_N2.jpg

epoxyboy
08-28-2014, 02:23 AM
What is this famous woman in NZ politics famous for?

http://images.tvnz.co.nz/tvnz_images/national_news/2013/10/bevan_chuang_N2.jpg
Bonking Len Brown, the wayward mayor of Auckland.

i'm thinking of voting for the McGillicuddy Serious Party as a protest vote - if they are running in this election that is. As long as the rest of the country isnt as disenchanted with politics as I am it should work out OK. It would be awful if they actually got in!

The Bigfella
08-28-2014, 02:40 AM
Bonking Len Brown, the wayward mayor of Auckland.

i'm thinking of voting for the McGillicuddy Serious Party as a protest vote - if they are running in this election that is. As long as the rest of the country isnt as disenchanted with politics as I am it should work out OK. It would be awful if they actually got in!

Wrong... she's famous for calling for sperm donor volunteers in order to get preggers.

AnalogKid
08-28-2014, 04:11 AM
Wrong. She featured in a minor news story two years ago for wanting sperm donors to come forward so she could have a dragon baby.

She's famous for shagging the mayor of Auckland while having also having 'connections' to the campaign leader of the mayor's main opponent - all uncovered by a blogger who is also the centre of the current political scandal that may well yet claim a minister's scalp in the run up to the election, even though our charismatic leader's teflon coat seams to be impervious to such muck being slung around in his close proximity.

The Bigfella
08-28-2014, 04:30 AM
So what came first? The news story or the mayor?

AnalogKid
08-28-2014, 04:35 AM
The news story came first, but it's not what made her famous, which is what you asked.

john welsford
08-28-2014, 11:16 AM
I'm very glad to be out of town. Port Townsend and SCAMP Camp is a lot more fun than the constant sniping and muckthrowing.

John Welsford

AnalogKid
08-28-2014, 05:23 PM
But at least we only get a few weeks of it John, in the States it goes on for years.

seanz
08-28-2014, 05:27 PM
Big story!
:D

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/north-canterbury/10436662/Amberley-meeting-misses-star-guest-Craig

WX
08-28-2014, 05:32 PM
Sounds like Clarke and Dawe would have a lot of fun with that lot.:-D

AnalogKid
08-28-2014, 05:56 PM
Sean, did you see the Herald poll on who people would most like to see as 'Kingmaker'?

The comments were crammed with praise for the wild-eyed Mr Craig, along the lines of "I know I could trust Colin Craig to make the right decision." I can only assume he's got a team in the party office logged in and ready to go on things like this.

I wouldn't trust him to make a decision on which socks to wear in the morning.

The Bigfella
08-28-2014, 07:08 PM
Sean, did you see the Herald poll on who people would most like to see as 'Kingmaker'?

The comments were crammed with praise for the wild-eyed Mr Craig, along the lines of "I know I could trust Colin Craig to make the right decision." I can only assume he's got a team in the party office logged in and ready to go on things like this.

I wouldn't trust him to make a decision on which socks to wear in the morning.

red on the left, green on the right

AnalogKid
08-28-2014, 07:16 PM
I think it's safe to say Colin doesn't own any red clothing. Or pink or rainbow striped. Blue and grey, that's all he needs.

ahp
08-28-2014, 08:59 PM
Sex, money, and politics are endlessly entertaining and will never go away.

john welsford
08-29-2014, 10:53 AM
But at least we only get a few weeks of it John, in the States it goes on for years.

Just as well, I want to come home sometime.

But I've already made up my mind that I cant vote for any party that would possibly join up with the "Revenge seeking internet millionaire, Maori activist, rent a protester" party.
That eliminates about half the choices.

In the meantime its summertime here and my hosts dont watch television, and National Public Radio is a lot more objective than most local media.

See you in the spring.

John Welsford

seanz
08-29-2014, 08:17 PM
Wild rumors are swirling about Minister for Glaring, Judith Collins. There's a press conference shortly.........

PeterSibley
08-29-2014, 09:00 PM
Wild rumors are swirling about Minister for Glaring, Judith Collins. There's a press conference shortly.........

A fight to the death ! I offer our champion Julie Deathstare !

http://standpointau.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/julie_bishop_death_stare.jpeg

seanz
08-29-2014, 09:08 PM
Collins' not a minister no more.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/10442284/Judith-Collins-I-am-resigning-as-a-minister
Should Collins resign as an MP, he name would still appear on the ballot because it is so close to the election. If she won, a byelection would be forced.
Collins, the MP for Papakura, is on a ''final final warning'' from Prime Minister John Key after admitting she passed details about public servant Simon Pleasants to right wing blogger Cameron Slater, who then published material on his blog, prompting death threats against the bureaucrat.
She was already on a "final warning" after she was less than candid about her engagements on an official visit to China, where she met with a border official with the founder of Oravida, a company on which her husband was a director.
Oravida had lobbied the government for help in overcoming an issue it was facing getting its products across the Chinese border following the Fonterra botulism issue.https://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/mail/images/cleardot.gif

John Key is a very tolerant man.....:)

epoxyboy
08-29-2014, 09:21 PM
Collins' not a minister no more.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/10442284/Judith-Collins-I-am-resigning-as-a-minister
Should Collins resign as an MP, he name would still appear on the ballot because it is so close to the election. If she won, a byelection would be forced.
Collins, the MP for Papakura, is on a ''final final warning'' from Prime Minister John Key after admitting she passed details about public servant Simon Pleasants to right wing blogger Cameron Slater, who then published material on his blog, prompting death threats against the bureaucrat.
She was already on a "final warning" after she was less than candid about her engagements on an official visit to China, where she met with a border official with the founder of Oravida, a company on which her husband was a director.
Oravida had lobbied the government for help in overcoming an issue it was facing getting its products across the Chinese border following the Fonterra botulism issue.https://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/mail/images/cleardot.gif

John Key is a very tolerant man.....:)
Ding, dong, the witch is dead, the wicked, wicked witch is dead. Or at least not a minister in cabinet any more. In other words, she has resigned her portfolio for now, and she'll rise like a zombie after the election, just watch it happen.
I never did like her over inflated sense of self importance and entitlement.

Pete

AnalogKid
08-29-2014, 09:50 PM
I'd be interested to see what this does to the Nats polling - will they more popular now that Collins isn't souring things, or will this be the start of a decline if the popular perception is that the whole party has been playing dirty.

I think JohnKey has shown a massive lack of leadership for not nipping this in the bud back at the start of the Oravido affair - I've more respect for Maurice Williamson than I have for scary Judith.

Stiletto
08-30-2014, 03:10 AM
I never liked Judith Collins since she crushed that car with the puppies still in the boot!

seanz
08-30-2014, 11:55 PM
Just found The Conservative Party flyer in the letter box........

The bulletin points on the back under the slogan "Stop the sell-out of New Zealand land" are, from 1 to 4......

1. Referendums will be binding............OK, nothing wrong with that.

2. First $20,000 tax free and a flat tax after that...........hate to think what the rate of that flat tax will be but nothing too mad there.

3. Tougher penalties for criminals................same policy as nearly everybody else............maybe they're not as crazy as I thought.

4. One Law to Rule Us All..............Sauron Alert! Sauron Alert!....:D

There is also a quiz inside that I urge people to take.....it will give you a score out of 15......we're left to assume that the higher the score the more conservative you are......they don't say. :)

I scored 7/15.

AnalogKid
08-31-2014, 12:15 AM
I've not had that one, but I did get the 8-page booklet from some family advocacy group telling me which policies I should look out for and which parties, as a family man, I may legitimately choose to vote for. Apparently I'm failing hopelessly as a father because I'm not a foaming-at-the-mouth bigot, and I'm not teaching my child to hate anyone a little bit different from him.

epoxyboy
08-31-2014, 12:21 AM
Just found The Conservative Party flyer in the letter box.......

There is also a quiz inside that I urge people to take.....it will give you a score out of 15......we're left to assume that the higher the score the more conservative you are......they don't say. :)

I scored 7/15.

Youll be getting a visit from the men in black, admitting that on a public forum :D

seanz
08-31-2014, 12:28 AM
I think we've found a replacement for The McGillicuddy Serious Party.

Chip-skiff
08-31-2014, 12:42 AM
This, from the Herald, made me laugh:

"Mr Key told media he believes voters will back his handling of the embattled MP's numerous transgressions. He says he counted last night, and eight ministers have resigned or been sacked on his watch, and Mr Key believes that shows he's fair but firm when they misbehave."

Eight ministers poofed? I'd say it shows that he's not very good at picking ministers.

AnalogKid
08-31-2014, 02:09 AM
Chip, it's just as well he stated when he first took office that he stated that expects the highest standards from his ministers. I mean, imagine how many would have to be sacked if they weren't on their best behaviour!

seanz
08-31-2014, 02:29 AM
"I was out of the country at the time."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/10444294/PM-may-not-have-to-front-at-hearing

seanz
09-06-2014, 11:58 PM
Six years later........this isn't just about NZ politics, it's a case study on using people for publicity during a campaign and how they can come back to haunt you.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/10468960/Aroha-of-McGehan-Close-flees-NZ

Chip-skiff
09-07-2014, 01:11 AM
Chip, it's just as well he stated when he first took office that he stated that expects the highest standards from his ministers.

There are various standards, and I have long felt that the Nats adopted the wrong set.

But I've got a pretty strong bias, I reckon:

http://littleblackcart.com/images/P/green_anarchy_19.jpg

seanz
09-15-2014, 05:13 PM
OMG! NZ on CNN!

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/09/11/world/asia/new-zealand-elections-scandal/

The center-right National government, led by perennially popular Prime Minister John Key, enjoyed a huge lead in the polls and seemed destined to amble its way to a third term in power.

But then a bombshell struck in the form of a book-length piece of investigative journalism, triggering a cascade of scandals that have thrown the political parties' campaigns into disarray and dominated the news cycle for weeks.
"No campaign in living memory compares to the 2014 campaign," said Edwards, a lecturer in politics at the University of Otago.
"New Zealand election campaigns are usually fought over a mixture of policy and personalities," he told CNN, "not over issues of integrity and corruption and wrongdoing."

Perhaps we should have been more concerned about integrity earlier on........

AnalogKid
09-15-2014, 05:18 PM
We've featured quite a bit in the Guardian in recent days too.

The Bigfella
09-15-2014, 05:26 PM
So, when is the actual poll?

seanz
09-15-2014, 05:48 PM
The SMH.

http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/security-it/edward-snowden-reveals-tapping-of-major-australianew-zealand-undersea-telecommunications-cable-20140915-10h96v.html

A major undersea telecommunications cable that connects Australia and New Zealand to North America has been tapped to allow the United States National Security Agency and its espionage partners to comprehensively harvest Australian and New Zealand internet data.

Documents published by The Intercept website by former US intelligence contractor Edward Snowden show that New Zealand's electronic spy agency, the Government Communications Security Bureau (GCSB), worked in 2012 and 2013 to implement a mass metadata surveillance system based on covert access to the Southern Cross undersea cable network.
Founded in 1997, Southern Cross owns and operates a Trans-Pacific submarine cable network connecting Australia, New Zealand, Fiji and Hawaii to the internet backbone on the west coast of the United States. The network was developed to service the rapid growth of Internet traffic across the Pacific. It is owned by Telecom New Zealand with a 50 per cent share, SingTel Optus (Australia's second-largest telecommunications provider) with 40 per cent and Verizon Business with 10 per cent.

seanz
09-15-2014, 05:49 PM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11325214

Mr Key responded to Snowden and Greenwald's claims ahead of last night's meeting, saying they were based on incomplete information.

"There is not, and never has been, a cable access surveillance programme operating in New Zealand.

No, you little weasel, it's operating in the Tasman Sea.

Stiletto
09-15-2014, 05:56 PM
So, when is the actual poll?

The polling date is this coming saturday the 20th., but for the first time we are able to vote earlier if we wish.

seanz
09-15-2014, 08:37 PM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/opinion/10501850/Bombshell-or-bomb-from-Dotcom

Bombshell or bomb? Kim Dotcom’s big reveal at the Auckland Town Hall last night may or may not change the outcome of the election. But the ripples from questions about the Government Communications Security Bureau will spread well beyond Saturday.
For now, however, those questions are likely to be overshadowed by Dotcom’s spectacular failure to prove his central claim that John Key lied about his knowledge of Dotcom before a raid on the German’s Coatesville mansion.

Let's set this out for people. A giant German internet billionaire wanted by the FBI moves into a mansion in your electorate, pays for a New Years Eve fireworks celebration for Auckland and you're Minister in charge of NZ Security Services........and you've never heard of him before the cops raid his mansion. Key isn't just a liar, he thinks we're all idiots.

PeterSibley
09-15-2014, 08:41 PM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/opinion/10501850/Bombshell-or-bomb-from-Dotcom

Bombshell or bomb? Kim Dotcom’s big reveal at the Auckland Town Hall last night may or may not change the outcome of the election. But the ripples from questions about the Government Communications Security Bureau will spread well beyond Saturday.
For now, however, those questions are likely to be overshadowed by Dotcom’s spectacular failure to prove his central claim that John Key lied about his knowledge of Dotcom before a raid on the German’s Coatesville mansion.

Let's set this out for people. A giant German internet billionaire wanted by the FBI moves into a mansion in your electorate, pays for a New Years Eve fireworks celebration for Auckland and you're Minister in charge of NZ Security Services........and you've never heard of him before the cops raid his mansion. Key isn't just a liar, he thinks we're all idiots.

Um, yes .:d

AnalogKid
09-15-2014, 08:59 PM
The main thing shown by the various scandals that Key is currently shedding off his very low coefficient of friction back is the complete toothlessness of our press.

All we get is published soundbites and quoted press releases, not one member of the media seems to be prepared to take the evidence provided thus far and investigate on their own initiative, or even look into Key's rebuttals of the accusations.

So how are we ever going to exposure on the consequences of entering the TPPA - which an inevitably re-elected Key will sell us all into without batting an eyelid?

Chip-skiff
09-16-2014, 12:51 AM
Key isn't just a liar, he thinks we're all idiots.

He doesn't think it. He knows it.

Keep voting Nat, and prove him right.

seanz
09-16-2014, 02:00 AM
Ahahaha!
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11325727
US rapper Eminem is suing the National Party for allegedly breaching copyright by using his song Lose Yourself in its campaign advertisements.
The Detroit-based publishers of Eminem's copyrights have filed proceedings in the High Court at Wellington today.
Eight Mile Style, LLC and Martin Affiliated, LLC are seeking damages for copyright infringement against the New Zealand National Party.
The proceedings stem from allegations that unauthorised use has been made of Eminem's Grammy and Academy Award winning song Lose Yourself in election campaign advertising run by the National Party in the lead up to the general election.

&

Eminem's publishers were not approached for permission to use any of Eminem's songs for this campaign advertisement," said Joel Martin, speaking on behalf of the publishers.

"It is both disappointing and sadly ironic that the political party responsible for championing the rights of music publishers in New Zealand by the introduction of the three strikes copyright reforms should itself have so little regard for copyright.
"We do not hesitate to take immediate action to protect the integrity of Eminem's works, particularly where a party, as here, has sought to associate itself with Eminem and his work."

&

He said National had stopped using the music in its advertising about two weeks ago at about the same time the publishers contacted them.

"Nobody else seems to have had any trouble with it, it seems that picking on a political party might be flavour of the week."
He said National had not pulled the music because of that approach - the timing was simply "uncanny coincidence."

Kim Dot Com (Giant German Internet Billionaire and Campaign Comedy Relief) is under threat of extradition to face copyright infringement charges........:)

Sometimes I think the Nats are just playing for laughs.

Chip-skiff
09-16-2014, 02:04 AM
Sometimes I think the Nats are just playing for laughs.

No way. They've carved up the country and sold it off, and are sticking around for the pay-out.

AnalogKid
09-16-2014, 02:19 AM
Let's see if this works...

https://scontent-a-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10653446_10205060477177453_6000928303838820417_n.j pg?oh=a84c1fe6572ffa32044cbc876aa919fc&oe=5490C5BE

I'm no Dotcom sympathiser, but this is hilarious.

seanz
09-16-2014, 02:28 AM
The down side of this is (for those of you in the NSA) that, if National lose enough support they may have to do a deal with The Conservative Party to form a majority........that would not be good.

Chip-skiff
09-16-2014, 02:37 AM
The down side of this is (for those of you in the NSA) that, if National lose enough support they may have to do a deal with The Conservative Party to form a majority........that would not be good.

An alliance of the Bad and the Evil.

AnalogKid
09-16-2014, 04:11 AM
The difference between them, John Key thinks he's being being funny but no one laughs, whereas Colin Craig is actually being deadly serious...

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/2-18-2014/pLRs7j.gif

Of course it would be nice to talk about his policies, but he hasn't got any. His big idea is binding referendums on everything because he can't decide. That won't cost the country much, will it?

Zane Lewis
09-20-2014, 08:00 AM
well excluding special vote national has increased it vote count. for the first time ever under MMP we have a party that may be able to govern alone. that's a clear indication how the majority of people felt on the day!
Zane

The Bigfella
09-20-2014, 08:20 AM
Excellent news

seanz
09-20-2014, 09:04 AM
Looks like pre-election opinion polls aren't worth taking..........:D.........I am secretly (nobody reads this stuff, right?) relieved that The Nats don't have to do a deal with The Conservative Party. That was a chance, Key said he wouldn't do it. Yeah, right.

This is weird.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/10525256/Aucklanders-split-their-vote-like-no-others

But neither the Mana Party or The Conservatives did any good............phew.

AnalogKid
09-21-2014, 02:41 AM
Only 77% of enrolled voters bothered to turn out, which is fairly poor. Chances are the vile weather played a part - I've been putting up a fence all weekend and I can vouch for just how vile that weather has been. And low turnout always favours Nats for some reason I can't fathom.

So I wonder if in 3 years time whether more than just the top 10% have benefited from our 'rock star economy', and whether next time out all this coat-tailing nonsense is dealt to. One thing Hone said that I agree with is that if the Nats, NZ First, etc want to have a say in what happens in his electorate, then they should put a candidate up or shut up.

seanz
09-21-2014, 03:34 AM
Labour put up a candidate though and K.Davis is about a thousand votes in front of H. Hawawira.

Sue Bradford has come out of Mana smelling like roses.........

seanz
09-21-2014, 03:55 AM
And on that note......

New Te Tai Tokerau MP Kelvin Davis has dubbed Internet-Mana “all steam and no hangi” after it failed to deliver on the hype on election day.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/10527144/Kelvin-Davis-blasts-Mana-Party

seanz
09-21-2014, 04:25 AM
Rigged? Probably not.

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Hon_Sir_Hugh_Williams_KNZM_QC_LLM_Recount_NZ_2014_ Election_I_believe_it_was_rigged/?sTIyqib

Something doesn't seem right with recent the New Zealand election. Evidence of fraudulent voting and it makes no sense that people would local vote left and party vote right. Is this another case of Electoral Fraud?

I'm not sure that "something doesn't seem right" is going to get you a recount........what I'd like is for people that voted Left/Right to expalin* themselves.

*That's a typo, it's supposed to say explain but it looked so right I couldn't change it.

seanz
09-21-2014, 05:56 AM
Nope, that should cover it. "This guy? No, wait! This guy?", doesn't instill a lot of voter confidence. There's been nothing wrong with Labour leaders as MPs, they just don't have 'it'.

Mana was shocking and Cunliffe didn't distance himself enough from them. The Greens seem to be The Greens, they pull 10 to 15 percent and won't get any further up the pecking order until they can win electorates.

John B
09-21-2014, 05:45 PM
And low turnout always favours Nats for some reason I can't fathom.
This is well known, its always been that way.( my adult lifetime anyway)

seanz
09-21-2014, 06:44 PM
Hmmm. Most National incumbents increased their majority but not one bloke.

Biggest loss while retaining seat: John Key (National) lost 5044 from his 2011 majority, while colleague Judith Collins shed 5039 votes in Papakura.

From and election factlets article. Funnily enough, it's not the headline........

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/10528600/Amy-Adams-wins-largest-majority-in-NZ

Stiletto
09-21-2014, 09:02 PM
I heard an interview with David Shearer this morning where he reckoned Labour's mistake was going after the votes of the poor and disaffected, in South Auckland for example, that is, trying to get the non-voters out. When in fact the election was won in the centre by those who always vote, which is where the Nats concentrated their efforts.

A good clean out with the aim of achieving a unified party is the only way that Labour will repair the damage they have suffered.

"All steam and no hangi" is a good line.

AnalogKid
09-21-2014, 10:03 PM
Labour does indeed need to get it's house in order quickly. They should boot Cunliffe, he was too scheming in going after the leadership and then did nothing with it. Get a new leader and decide quickly what it is they are about and spend the next 3 years telling people about it instead of bickering amongst themselves, or it'll be even worse for them next time around.

If Shearer thinks that Labour should look like National but with a red letters in a friendlier font then what is the point in the labour party? I'm sure I read somewhere this morning that National is intending to head for the centre with this government also (no need to please Colin, tough luck Act) so it's going to get crowded.

It's almost as if our politicians care less about principles and policy, so long as they get elected...

seanz
09-22-2014, 12:31 AM
A little anecdote about the pitfalls of going after the youth vote. A friend was working at a polling station and says that "heaps" of young people were coming in and trying to do a special vote, basically an absentee vote. They believed that you could do this if you provided I.D., even if you weren't registered to vote. They were wrong, you must be registered to vote.

Zane Lewis
09-22-2014, 06:27 AM
for me the left need a solid leader and need to appoint people on merit not on factions. from some of the pre election numbers I saw labour had lost it male voters. I also noted that over the years the large 3 union groups have become very weak in male membership hence the push on gender balance from this sector has lead to some male back lash.
The right has the opposite problem as woman tend to have a stronger sense of social balance.
the left has become very PC and still demonstrate typical left ideology, ie If we can make everyone beneficiaries then they will vote for us as they won't want the right to take the benefits away.
un PC it may be the the left's transsexual who stood in my area is not the most inspiring person. How He/it/She made it to the top of the list surprised many.

Having pre-voting has changed the voting trends as historically the right drops off as the large urban poling booths come in but that did not happen this year. Does pre voting take away the excuse about weather etc. Something like 20% of votes were early.

At Cunliffe's end of the night speech he congratulated and named their new Maori seat MP's with the exception of Kelvin Davies and he also ignored Nash from Napier who was a standout for them taking the seat from the right.
Are these 2 not acceptable to the Cunliffe's union faction?

excuse any editing to follow, I hate touch keypads
Zane

Zane Lewis
09-22-2014, 06:41 AM
Here's a question for offshore readers.
in NZ the right is strong in middle to wealthy urban areas + most rural communities,
the left is strong in the lower socioeconomic areas of Auckland and the beaurocrat centre in Wellington.
the greens in wealthy urban areas with people who can afford to be green and from rural areas with a large tourism industries.

am I being fair, would these comments be typical in most western countries?
Zane

AnalogKid
09-22-2014, 03:13 PM
It's pretty similar in the UK Zane, or was 10 years ago. The city centres tended to vote labour and the leafy suburbs and rural areas tended to vote conservative. The exception was Scotland, that voted labour despite being rural.

As for the early vote, it's a great idea. I voted on Thursday because I knew I had too much on at the weekend to fit it in. Having said that, in the 4km round trip I took to get new tyres on the car, I passed 4 polling centres, so I doubt there's have been much by way of a queue. In the UK the vote is always on a Thursday, which meant going after work along with everybody else, and I remember waiting in a queue for over an hour. And all for nothing because it's a first past the post system and it was a very safe seat for the incumbent MP, so it's not like here where your party vote still counts, over and above the local electorate vote.

seanz
09-22-2014, 05:51 PM
Zane, Kelly Ellis was pre-selected for Labour in a safe National seat and is #52 on the Labour list for MMP. I don't think your lifestyle was ever under any great threat.

More humor.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/10532644/John-Keys-rap-battle-goes-global
May contain mockery of the Kiwi accent, not for the easily offended.
;)

John B
09-22-2014, 10:22 PM
from some of the pre election numbers I saw labour had lost it male voters. I also noted that over the years the large 3 union groups have become very weak in male membership hence the push on gender balance from this sector has lead to some male back lash.

Let me preface what I'm going to say with a couple of statements. One is that I'm pretty A-political, I'm prepared to alter my vote on the issues rather than be parochial.
I also grew up in a single parent family and hold a deep resentment against the way things were then, after seeing the discrimination my mother was up against on what you could call a systemic level. It was a sexist world in the 60's and 70's. The way she was treated when she wanted hire purchase for a washing machine and later wanted a bank mortgage for our house was traumatic to say the least .She had two jobs , she had the income and the deposit but she was a woman and that bank manager thought he was a demi god. I abhor sexism ,as I do racism and other unfair discrimination.

About a month before the election the leader of the Labour party, That pillock Cunliffe, went to a womens meeting and ' apologised for men' for being men because men were responsible for most violence against women. I found that deeply offensive, as if I had any choice about the gender I was born to, or the race ,or the creed I was bought up in, or the time I was born.
I also found it offensive because I believe that for every bad man out there , there are thousands if not tens of thousands of decent guys , just trying to do the right thing and the best job with their families.

He doesn't get the right to apologise for me for anything ,and evidently a lot of the men in this country feel the same way.

The guy is a reverse sexist tosser who lost virtually the entire countries male vote because of his sidling up to one interest group and he should got rid of by that party , so they can bring a decent challenge next election. Its unforgivable.

AnalogKid
09-22-2014, 11:37 PM
I agree John, Cunliffe went from being Mr. Invisible to suddenly grabbing the headlines for all the wrong reasons. It was the kind of over-the-top PC drivel that those on the right use to lambast those on the left, the kind of thing that hearsay suggests happens only in left-leaning local authority offices. I had little respect for him after the leadership fiasco but what was left all disappeared after his 'I'm sorry for being a man' debacle.

Wooden Boat Fittings
09-23-2014, 02:39 AM
Harking back to Zane's question for a minute, I think his analysis applies pretty well to us in Oz as well.

Mike

Zane Lewis
09-23-2014, 07:41 AM
Thanks Guy's,
Just went back and read my last line and it's not making much sense to me now. Must have been late when I wrote that.
Am going to edit it.

Fair call Seanz re Kelly. I'm just a bit conservative on that subject.
Got a good laugh out of the MnM story.

Chip-skiff
09-24-2014, 01:24 PM
From Greenpeace NZ and Awhina Murupaenga—

As New Zealand elected John Key's National Government for a third term, the world witnessed the largest climate protest in history. More than 600,000 people made the call for a clean energy future in the 'People's Climate March'.Climate Voter clocked in at more than 62,000 and showed that there is a strong desire in New Zealand for action on climate change, and for a cleaner smarter economy. New Zealand’s election result is not a mandate for climate inaction. It is not a mandate for more deep sea oil drilling, fracking, mining, and more roads -- and we must not let it be seen as that.

It’s now up to all of us now to turn up the volume, maintain the momentum and transform those numbers online to numbers on the street! Like all effective movements, we take a long view and we keep on turning up!

And we now have another great opportunity. (http://mail.greenpeace.org.nz/iem/link.php?M=1239977&N=1662&L=1809&F=H)

This summer, Norwegian oil giant Statoil will do seismic testing in the deep sea off Northland’s west coast. This is the start of yet another dangerous attempt at deep sea drilling that risks oil washing ashore on one of the most spectacular coastlines in the world. On Tuesday Next week Statoil is attending and sponsoring an oil industry conference in Auckland at the SkyCity convention centre.

In a few days people from Northland coastal communities are beginning a hikoi (http://mail.greenpeace.org.nz/iem/link.php?M=1239977&N=1662&L=1813&F=H) from Cape Reinga to Auckland to confront the oil industry at the conference. They’re calling for people to join them along the way, and local group Oil Free Auckland is organising a march up Queen Street to join the Waiho Papa Moana hikoi as they march to the conference.

We’re all going down, will you join us?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-HiLnuadECkE/VCL9JMM_56I/AAAAAAAAGRs/GbKSr-Ni71E/s640/hikoi.jpg

seanz
09-27-2014, 12:12 AM
Cunliffe has resigned. But he's standing for re-election as leader.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/10552279/David-Cunliffe-resigns-as-Labour-leader

Been a little weird that the biggest story post-election was the resignation (or not) of the leader of the opposition. It's almost as if the media needed a distraction from something......:)

Zane Lewis
09-27-2014, 09:49 AM
not I
but then so many northlanders don't want jobs, they just want hand outs.
heck apart from a couple of beaches out from Dargaville and 90 mile beach the rest of the coast is unvisited.
not that we want our beaches oiled up but I want to put bread on my table.
I have started to become quite passionate about the need for economic development in northland. This is going to require investment and some balls from people with money.
We have been starved of this over the last 15 years. The Christchurch earth quake has sucked a lot of even even basic roading funds away.
We need to get closer to Auckland to encourage investment, this means road upgrades. Look at how much closer Hamilton has come to Auckland over the last 10 years and look at the growth Hamilton has seen.
rant bitten off.
Zane

seanz
09-27-2014, 06:15 PM
The Christchurch earth quake has sucked a lot of even even basic roading funds away.

Ha! The story down here is "we can't pay for that, we're under-insured". If you're being told that the Chhch quakes are to blame, you're being lied too.
However, North Canterbury needs road funding more than ever now. The region doesn't "need developing", it's developed so fast recently the infrastructure is having trouble keeping up.

Chip-skiff
09-27-2014, 10:36 PM
The fact that some people want more money is not news. But not all "development" is a good thing, in the longer term. As far as drilling the Tasman Sea off the west coast of North Island goes, I ask you to consider this map:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-0NpaDm2FNCA/VCdwqAHnjCI/AAAAAAAAGS0/EDjAIKrIcAE/s640/NZquakes.jpg

Northland is in the lowest-risk class. But, before you charge ahead, consider that the Banks Peninsula and Canterbury Plain are in the next-to-lowest risk zone for quakes. So a major quake can occur just about anywhere on the two islands or offshore. I assume you've been to the west coast and looked out on the ocean: strong westerlies and currents, big waves, lots of turbulence. How would you contain a big spill of oil? Especially in the chaotic aftermath of a major earthquake? In an area which, as you observe, has scant infrastructure, low population, few high-standard roads, etc., etc.

What if they drill off the east coast of North Island? Keen on that prospect?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/science/9597445/Giant-quake-risk-off-east-coast-of-North-Island

Given the fate of the kauri forest and the terraforming of most of the two islands for pasturage or commercial timbering, your record isn't so good.

Clean and green?

Yeah, right.

seanz
02-26-2015, 01:41 AM
Hello again keen followers of the New Zealand political scene.

I have a question.

Why, with no apparent groundswell of public support and no major change to the essential nature of the nation, are we considering changing the New Zealand flag?

PeterSibley
02-26-2015, 02:37 AM
You're tired of it ? I'm tired of ours .

How does sending troops to fight ISIS play domestically , stopping the threat of ISIS terrorism in Dunedin ?

seanz
02-26-2015, 03:26 AM
Lot of chest-beating from the "CEO-PM" but in reality it's a training contingent only.

PeterSibley
02-26-2015, 03:33 AM
As long as it doesn't creep to much, we have to save ourselves for the big one with Russia .... or China.

epoxyboy
02-26-2015, 03:45 AM
Lot of chest-beating from the "CEO-PM" but in reality it's a training contingent only.
Do you think he took acting lessons, or was that real passion instead of the usual smarm? It would be nice to see him that fired up about something like education, or housing affordability.

seanz
02-26-2015, 04:12 AM
Good to see I'm not the only one that suspects acting lessons. It was a little weird, he rarely shows any passion and this is about the deployment of a training contingent.

skuthorp
02-26-2015, 06:36 AM
The US, Aus and NZ may be 1st world countries, but we have 3rd world standard politicians, and that may be an insult to some developing countries. The quasi Westminster system has been gamed so much that it is no longer a legitimate one.
BTW, PM ALERT, Tone's is allegedly coming to visit, but Malcolm casts a long shadow in the wings and he may deem it too risky to leave the country. After all, under his own legislation a new Immigration minister could use it to keep Tony out, and then you'd have both of them!:d

seanz
03-30-2015, 08:41 PM
Something happened!

National had a hard time finding a candidate. Now Winston Peters has his own (MMP, look it up) seat again.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/opinion/67556627/Peters-by-election-victory-raises-host-of-new-concerns

Paul Pless
03-30-2015, 09:05 PM
Something happened!:D iii

AnalogKid
03-30-2015, 09:13 PM
Speculation (wishful thinking?) in the press is that it'll spark a boardroom power game as National NZ Inc. decides it needs a new CEO sooner rather than later.

With a bit of luck that will stall any signing of the TPPA as the members of the board will be too busy looking over their shoulders for where the next dagger is coming from to actually do any governing.

Chip-skiff
03-30-2015, 09:21 PM
With the Nats in power, would this be the most appropriate flag?

http://flagpedia.net/data/currency/nzd/nz100.jpg

AnalogKid
03-30-2015, 09:23 PM
Nah, wrong denomination:

http://www.marshu.com/articles/images-website/articles/presidents-on-us-paper-money/one-hundred-100-dollar-bill.jpg

Chip-skiff
03-30-2015, 09:27 PM
Ha! Here's the new Australian flag:

http://www.lycheetravel.com/images/guide/chinese-yuan.jpg

AnalogKid
03-30-2015, 09:38 PM
Well it is a toss-up as to whether NZ is an unofficial US state or an autonomous region of China. I guess if American business does own us it's only because they borrowed the money from China.

seanz
03-30-2015, 10:25 PM
Speculation (wishful thinking?) in the press is that it'll spark a boardroom power game as National NZ Inc. decides it needs a new CEO sooner rather than later.

With a bit of luck that will stall any signing of the TPPA as the members of the board will be too busy looking over their shoulders for where the next dagger is coming from to actually do any governing.

How long does Key want to stick around for? He can win the next election. Then what? He's only PM so he can put it on his CV. At age 53 he's got to consider his next job.

AnalogKid
03-31-2015, 12:29 AM
I thought he'd already decided this was his last term. I don't think I'm getting mixed up with Cameron, but you can see that would be an easy mistake to take to make.

epoxyboy
03-31-2015, 04:13 AM
Something happened!

National had a hard time finding a candidate. Now Winston Peters has his own (MMP, look it up) seat again.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/opinion/67556627/Peters-by-election-victory-raises-host-of-new-concerns
Gawd, he's like the living dead. You just kill him off! Although in this case, with Teflon John squirming a bit, perhaps it isn't a bad thing.

Pete

skuthorp
03-31-2015, 06:50 AM

A few of us have been speculating for some years what will happen when our next 'Great and Powerful Friend', namely China makes it's play. Aus had been a satrapy of the UK till the fall of Singapore and the US ever since. Just recently the govt. decided, against it's previous statements and the wishes of the US, to join with the new China Bank. A watershed moment I think.
http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/mar/29/australia-confirms-it-will-join-chinas-asian-infrastructure-investment-bank

seanz
05-31-2015, 02:23 AM
More jokes and jolly japes...

In the election just gone, Labour had a capital gains tax....and were pilloried for it. Worst thing to happen to NZ since the Marmite ran out, or so we were told. NZ just wasn't ready for it, so they said.

http://campaign.labour.org.nz/capital_gains_tax

We're ready! Now the National government have a capital gains tax all of their own, except they won't call it a capital gains tax. Yet.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/political/273847/govt-to-tighten-tax-on-capital-gains

PeterSibley
05-31-2015, 04:32 AM

Greetings powerful new friend , grovel, two, three .:cool:

Abasement exercise, assume posture .

seanz
10-15-2015, 09:20 PM
As the kids say these days, "What the actual f***?"

An MP as brand-ambassador for a car yard? Possibly a conflict of interest (in the future) but not exactly a conflict of values.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/72959580/national-mp-judith-collins-under-fire-for-her-deal-as-a-brand-ambassador

AnalogKid
10-15-2015, 09:32 PM
And if Peugeot-buyers mention her name at the time of sale...

Not that I'm ever likely to buy a Peugeot, but the very thought of mentioning her name makes me sick a little bit in the back of my throat.

She's not having any luck getting back into cabinet and when she put the feelers out for the Auckland mayoral candidacy it was not met with any enthusiasm. My guess is she'll next appear as the new leader of the Conservatives. Traditionally it would be Act where National has-beens sink to obscurity, but David Seymour seems to be having too much fun to let go of that gig anytime soon.

Paul Pless
10-15-2015, 10:56 PM
One should not buy a car manufactured in France, unless one actually lives in France.

Paul Pless
10-15-2015, 10:58 PM
Curious thread BTW.

seanz
10-15-2015, 11:31 PM
Curious thread BTW.

Curious? How so? Do you have an opinion that you will divulge later?

Collins would have been better served to keep some real distance between herself and private enterprise, considering her past.

Chip-skiff
10-16-2015, 12:09 AM
What distance? The NZ government is a wholly-owned subsidiary of private enterprise.

seanz
10-16-2015, 12:20 AM
Such cynicism!

Here's Judith being regretful last year.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/10013696/Judith-Collins-regrets-Oravida-interactions

skuthorp
10-16-2015, 02:29 AM
One should not buy a car manufactured in France, unless one actually lives in France.
I owned a Renault 16TS. Bought in France ex factory with good French Dusollier electrics. Not quite enough airflow for Aussie conditions but a great drivers car. Loved it. Someone hit it with a truck and it saved my life as well.

epoxyboy
10-16-2015, 04:07 AM
A workmate has a Pug 40something (Camry size sedan), with a blown headlight. There is a light on the dash to tell him there is a blown light. The problem is, it has decided that due to the blown light, the stability control is also inoperative, and as a result will not go into Drive. Vive la France!
Back to politics. Judith Collins makes my skin crawl.

Pete

seanz
10-18-2015, 05:50 PM
John Key says it's OK and he's a paragon of transparency...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/73137452/judith-collins-car-sponsorship-deal-ok--john-key

Wouldn't it just make more sense to give a car to CrimeWatch with Collin's face on it?

seanz
10-19-2015, 12:52 AM
Curious thread BTW.

You just don't understand man, you just don't get it!

Sorry, Trademe has changed their page design and I'm a little over emotional...

AnalogKid
10-19-2015, 04:21 AM
I just thought Paul was indicating that he had an opinion on this he would share with us later. I'm still waiting, but not with any great suspense.

John B
10-19-2015, 04:34 AM
I quite like those old citroens, never driven one of course, but oi loike the stoiyle.

skuthorp
10-19-2015, 06:10 AM
I had the use of a '51 Citroen light 15 for about a year. Nice car for it's time. Idiosyncratic is the best description. Those suicide doors were interesting, women liked them.

http://www.roncobb.com/Graphics/CitreonL15L.JPG

skuthorp
10-19-2015, 06:13 AM
Back to the op ed.
So she's a serving MP on a state salary moonlighting as a spruiker for a car yard.
I would have thought she's her own worst enemy frankly.

AnalogKid
10-19-2015, 02:06 PM
You missed out the bit where she was fired from a cabinet job (justice minister) for getting a bit too cozy with here husband's business interests in China while apparently on government business. So she's got form.

John B
10-19-2015, 02:42 PM
I had the use of a '51 Citroen light 15 for about a year. Nice car for it's time. Idiosyncratic is the best description. Those suicide doors were interesting, women liked them.

http://www.roncobb.com/Graphics/CitreonL15L.JPG

I like the 34 styling year, but recently I've been looking more at those pointy ones from the 60's or so.

skuthorp
10-19-2015, 03:33 PM
I like the 34 styling year, but recently I've been looking more at those pointy ones from the 60's or so.
Watch out for the old hydraulics, other then that a great car.

PatrickXavier
10-20-2015, 09:48 PM
My Dad had a Citroen ID 19 (http://www.citroenet.org.uk/passenger-cars/michelin/ds/13.html), in which our family (of 7!) toured all over the country in the 1960s and 1970s. To link back into the thread's topic, he acquired it at a time when importing cars into NZ meant being on a waiting list measured in years. It was his only ever extravagance, and asserted an aesthetic sensibility I never realised he had. Me, on the other hand, I want this:

http://auto.samondeo.com/images1/citroen-ds-2.jpg

WX
10-20-2015, 10:57 PM
I quite like those old citroens, never driven one of course, but oi loike the stoiyle.

Our family car back in the 60s was a 51 model...style by the bucket load.

seanz
10-20-2015, 11:48 PM
Curious thread BTW.

I'm beginning to agree...

Wooden Boat Fittings
10-21-2015, 12:40 AM
Our family car in the 50s was a '37 Wolseley. Suicide doors on the front -- comfortable to use. (The later model had them all round.)

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1175/537396957_dbe3ad0a20_z.jpg?zz=1

DCS Foyle drove one of these in the 1st Series, and the later model from then on.

Mike

seanz
10-21-2015, 12:53 AM
http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/3071502-9th-june-1942-henri-philippe-petain-and-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=c0%2fpMHoxhsPuZJSTWtLEHO%2feNrY6yTwsXMqf%2b7ra1l cH7goF8rTwVaxiuPeSygeQ

epoxyboy
10-21-2015, 02:07 AM
You missed out the bit where she was fired from a cabinet job (justice minister) for getting a bit too cozy with here husband's business interests in China while apparently on government business. So she's got form.
Form driven by an over inflated sense of self entitlement, and an amazing lack of good judgement for a person in her position.

seanz
10-29-2015, 03:31 PM
Thoughts? Legitimate accounting? Sleight of hand?
It does look like there wouldn't have been a surplus unless a government agency gave Treasury $490m.
I've highlighted my 'favorite' part.

The Earthquake Commission (EQC) released more than half a billion dollars to the Crown after reducing its estimate of the size of Canterbury's earthquake claims.

The move, before the end of the 2014-15 year, meant it was possible for the Government to achieve the Budget surplus announced in early October.
Labour's finance spokesman Grant Robertson said on the surface the Government's accounting "looks like a political ploy to reach surplus", an allegation denied by Finance Minister Bill English.
Robertson said Labour wanted to get to the bottom of "how all this has been calculated".
"In order to reach surplus, the money has gone back into the Crown accounts . . . so are they saying the money isn't needed any longer or that settlements are going to be lower?
"Well that's problematic in itself."
He called on English to explain.
A spokesman from the Ministry of Finance said learning more information about Canterbury earthquake claims had revealed their "true cost" since 2011.

English said "any suggestion that the Government has influenced EQC's accounts in order to produce a surplus is completely incorrect".
The Government was "committed to providing funding for any shortfall EQC faces in meeting the costs of the Canterbury earthquakes, should this be necessary, said English.
"It is not clear that such a shortfall will eventuate."
While private insurers continued to experience increasing liabilities from Canterbury, EQC had knocked off $490m from the value of its claims, $455m of which was for Canterbury claims according to its annual report.
In the previous financial year EQC reduced its claims liabilities by more than $270m and posted a $289m profit.
Christchurch accountant and EQC critic Cameron Preston was adamant the only way the Government achieved its $414m surplus (http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/73009393/Tax-cuts-possible-after-first-surplus-for-NZ-government) on paper was by including funds EQC had allocated to Canterbury homeowners.
Preston said $525m had been "released" to the Crown and said that figure could be traced to the latest Treasury financial statements.
In 2014, Budget documents revealed a surprise boost to the Government's projected budget had relied mainly on a $200m reduction (http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/budget-2014/10050476/Cuts-to-EQC-enable-372m-surplus) of EQC's insurance bill.
Preston said EQC had been trying to reduce the value of its claims since booking $12.5 billion in liabilities after the February 2011 earthquake.
EQC's annual report showed the commission had posted a $657m surplus.
However, it also showed a $424m shortfall in long-term liabilities, down from over $1b in the previous financial year.
The Insurance Council of New Zealand chief executive Tim Grafton said 1865 overcap claims were transferred to private insurers from EQC in the 12 months ending in June.
EQC's annual report showed its total assets were $2.5b while its total liabilities were almost $3b.
It said the value of EQC's Canterbury claims had reduced because of "increased claims settlement data and additional clarification on land settlement policies".

"The Commission has exposure to liabilities estimated to be in excess of its current level of assets.
"In the event that the Commission's assets are insufficient to meet its liabilities, the Crown...is obliged to provide, by way of grant or advance, sufficient funds to meet the shortfall."
Another Christchurch-based accountant, who did not wish to be named, said the figures could simply be the result of the Government overestimating the value of Canterbury earthquake claims.
- Stuff

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/73473588/eqc-cuts-estimate-of-outstanding-canterbury-earthquake-claims-by-500m

John B
10-29-2015, 05:11 PM
Hard to tell. Politics or bureaucracy, I'd put my money on the latter.

I had a call back from city council yesterday myself finally , apologising for the way they've treated us, the wankers. Pack of bloody gouging parasites running a monopoly, feathering their own nests at other peoples expense.

But yes , it is a funny thread considering most of the people on it are Aussies criticising our gummint.

Quite frankly , to me that is just downright hilarious considering the state of Australian politics. You guys are just downright disfunctional over there. We have spats over here on the level of whether the tea or coffee should be with or without sugar , and you guys go through leaders like they're big macs at a meat lovers convention.

WX
10-29-2015, 05:20 PM

I had a call back from city council yesterday myself finally , apologising for the way they've treated us, the wankers. Pack of bloody gouging parasites running a monopoly, feathering their own nests at other peoples expense.

But yes , it is a funny thread considering most of the people on it are Aussies criticising our gummint.

Quite frankly , to me that is just downright hilarious considering the state of Australian politics. You guys are just downright disfunctional over there. We have spats over here on the level of whether the tea or coffee should be with or without sugar , and you guys go through leaders like they're big macs at a meat lovers convention.
Not from me mate, we've enough basket cases here to keep me occupied.:)

John B
10-29-2015, 05:29 PM
Heh, heh ,heh.

seanz
10-29-2015, 05:48 PM

yep, that's the problem, right there. Can't tell where one stops and the other starts. It's like a shell-game when something goes wrong around here.

Good that you got a positive result from the council. Stick it to 'em, Citizen.
Y>

John B
10-29-2015, 07:13 PM
It ain't over yet. I'll let you know if I get chucked out of my marina. I know two people have for sticking their heads up.

seanz
11-10-2015, 03:46 PM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/73901020/kiwi-war-hero-detained-by-australian-government-after-visa-revoked

Key told TVNZ's Breakfast he was not familiar with Rutene's case, but said he and others in detention centres should come to New Zealand and appeal their deportation from here.

"If you take that person, he doesn't need to be in a maximum security prison.
"My advice to him is come back to New Zealand, you'll have your appeal heard from New Zealand, and given that your community of interest is in Australia, and as you said he's not undertaking any criminal activity...then he'll probably be successful in his appeal."

John Key, just trying to be helpful.

RFNK
11-10-2015, 04:55 PM
There really is an NZ Politics thread!

And yes, when it comes to overpaid buffoons, completely devoid of ethics, imagination or vision, we certainly have our share of leading examples here in the coalmine!

If any of you have any other kind, then good luck to you!

Rick

The Bigfella
11-10-2015, 11:05 PM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/73901020/kiwi-war-hero-detained-by-australian-government-after-visa-revoked

Key told TVNZ's Breakfast he was not familiar with Rutene's case, but said he and others in detention centres should come to New Zealand and appeal their deportation from here.

"If you take that person, he doesn't need to be in a maximum security prison.
"My advice to him is come back to New Zealand, you'll have your appeal heard from New Zealand, and given that your community of interest is in Australia, and as you said he's not undertaking any criminal activity...then he'll probably be successful in his appeal."

John Key, just trying to be helpful.

From Uncle Rupert:

NEW Zealanders detained on Christmas Island have committed crimes ranging from manslaughter to drug possession.

ABOUT 40 Kiwis are being held on the island awaiting deportation, and some are reported to have been involved in the riot that was brought under control on Tuesday.

NZ Justice Minister Amy Adams' office says Australian government information shows they've committed crimes including:

Indecent treatment or dealings with a child under 16
Manslaughter
Aggravated assault with a weapon against own child or spouse
Assaulting police officers, common assault, family violence
Drug supply and possession
Grievous bodily harm.

Prime Minister John Key repeated on Wednesday the detainees were free to return to New Zealand if they wanted to and continue to appeal the cancellation of their visas.

Mr Key says the most serious offenders can be put under extended supervision orders when they arrive.

To deal with those who have committed lesser offences, the government must pass legislation so they can be supervised in the same way as they would be if they had served their sentences in New Zealand.

The detainees are being held under Australian immigration laws that came into force in December.

Under the laws, any non-citizen can be deported if they've served a jail sentence of 12 months or more.According to Australian government figures, there are 585 Kiwis in the deportation pipeline.

Of those, 34 were convicted for child sex offences, 22 for murder and 16 for rape or sexual assault.

seanz
11-11-2015, 08:32 PM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/73949930/Female-MPs-protest-over-John-Key-rapist-remarks-make-global-headlines

A mass protest by female opposition MPs at Parliament after Prime Minister John Key's claim that Labour was "backing rapists" has made headlines around the world.
A wide range of media outlets have reported on Key's remarks in relation to Kiwi detainees being held in Australia, and the uproar they have provoked.
On Wednesday, at least 12 female MPs either walked out or were asked to leave the debating chamber after standing one by one in defiance of Speaker David Carter to stand and demand an apology from the prime minister.

AnalogKid
11-11-2015, 09:20 PM
Only problem is...

There are no rapists or murderers among the Kiwi detainees at the controversial Christmas Island detention centre.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=11544106

This is Key at his most vile. The willful ignorance of refusing to distinguish between prisoner's rights in general and the wrong-doings of specific prisoners allows him where that smug grin and do nothing. He'd rather cause this genuine offence to female MPs than risk upsetting his new best mate Turnbull by suggesting something is done about conditions in the detention centre.

Zane Lewis
11-11-2015, 11:26 PM
On this topic. I'm in Queensland just now and reading the local papers there is no way the govt here is going to back track on this one. Papers are full of how bad the kiwi's are, how everything that went wrong on Xmax island was due to kiwis etc. Then they are full of outrange about the UN telling them off about the detention centres. Pot calling kettle black type of thing given Russia and China are on the list of countries telling Aussie off on this one.
Zane

The Bigfella
11-11-2015, 11:35 PM
Can someone explain to me the gist of the argument in support of these criminals please?

Is it that it is double jeopardy to say that they can't live here, because they served their time?

Stiletto
11-11-2015, 11:43 PM
The argument seems to be that many of these people have lived in Aussie for many years and have no immediate family to connect with back in NZ.

Rutene's case is different. He has no criminal record, and has not commited a crime. Being thrown into custody because of who he associates with is pretty draconian from any point of view except the far right.

The Bigfella
11-11-2015, 11:48 PM
The argument seems to be that many of these people have lived in Aussie for many years and have no immediate family to connect with back in NZ.

Rutene's case is different. He has no criminal record, and has not commited a crime. Being thrown into custody because of who he associates with is pretty draconian from any point of view except the far right.

Agree, on the association thing, if that's all it is.

On the others, if they came here without declaring a conviction.... sorry.

I used to know a Maori chap living here... he told me he couldn't go home. Never got the specifics, but I suspect he'd been a bad boy at some stage.

Stiletto
11-12-2015, 12:00 AM
Agree, on the association thing, if that's all it is.

On the others, if they came here without declaring a conviction.... sorry.

It seems that many of the convictions were incurred in Australia. The argument here is that some of them are relatively minor, although with a twelve month sentence being the threshold that now incurs deportation, they cant have been that minor, though certainly not all rapists and murderers.

Chip-skiff
11-12-2015, 12:05 AM
What to do?

http://sydneylivingmuseums.com.au/sites/default/files/styles/image_nine2/public/LON10_CONSYD_002%20(1).jpg

Zane Lewis
11-12-2015, 07:51 AM
This raises other questions over here. Besides the fact that we don't really want them back.
That old Kiwi joke. Every Kiwi who moves to Aussie raises the average IQ of both countries.

For example were they criminals before they left here or did they learn that over there.
Many were just kids and have grownup in Aussie. Could it also be related to the Aussie government taking away entitlements to any form of income and medical support for kiwis who have lost their jobs in the changing economic climate.

Again we don't know the answers.
Personally as a kiwi I don't want them back, but can understand why Aussie want shot of them.
What everyone agrees on that it should not take years to make these decisions while someone is stuck in a camp.
Zane

AnalogKid
11-12-2015, 03:08 PM
My take is that the real argument wasn't about whether or not the people in the detetention centre get returned to NZ or not - if they never got Australian citizenship then they left themselves exposed to that possibility.

It's about the way they are being detained for a visa appeal. The conditions are not up to scratch and the was the authorities lost control of the place shows that they're not undertaking their duty of care. Remember, if they were criminals currently serving a sentence then they'd be in a prison, not the immigration detention centre. An that's where it becomes a human rights issue and not an argument about what is appropriate punishment for various crimes.

seanz
11-12-2015, 04:04 PM
You do have to wonder if they were put into detention so somebody could make more money.

AnalogKid
11-12-2015, 04:10 PM
Every time I wonder if I'm becoming too cynical I'm shown up for the lightweight cynic I really am.

The Bigfella
11-12-2015, 04:11 PM
Every time I wonder if I'm becoming too cynical I'm shown up for the lightweight cynic I really am.

Nah... he showed how lightweight he really is with that one. You are just fine... You can relax too... he's really an Aussie... not that we want him back

AnalogKid
11-12-2015, 04:14 PM
Now what you've done there Ian, is ignored the topic and played the man. Something you complain about and yet...

The Bigfella
11-12-2015, 04:17 PM
Now what you've done there Ian, is ignored the topic and played the man. Something you complain about and yet...

Yeah.... it rubs off from time to time. I never claimed to be perfect.... but folks keep telling me that I do

I suppose I should've put in a smilie, eh?

AnalogKid
11-12-2015, 04:35 PM
Peter Dunne appears to have managed to see through the bickering and name-calling and pinpointed the actual issue at hand, but has unfortunately invoked Godwin's law in the process:

Deportation row: Peter Dunne blasts Australia's 'concentration camps' (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11544724)

He said that in the uproar in Parliament this week over Mr Key's comments about rapists, the issue of detainees in Australia's offshore camps had been pushed into the background.

Mr Dunne said the some of them had committed unspeakable crimes, but they still retained the same basic human rights.

However, the "modern concentration camp" approach taken by Australia meant the detainees were now worse off than they were in prison.

seanz
11-12-2015, 05:49 PM

Yeah, but it's nice to have a confirmation of a cynical hypothesis from someone so well connected.
;)

The Bigfella
11-16-2015, 06:15 PM
A better-balanced reporting of the situation, from Uncle Rupert:

New Zealand Prime Minister John Key has come under massive, sustained abuse from the country’s commentariat over Australia’s deportation of criminal Kiwis.

However, the latest polling indicates this has scarcely dented Mr Key’s personal support, or that of his National Party.

After seven years in power, his government, at 49 per cent support, remains comfortably clear of the Labour-Green opposition with a combined 41.5 per cent.

The controversy immersing New Zealand was triggered by Australia tightening visa rules last December, cancelling permission to continue to live in the country for people who have been handed a 12-month prison sentence, rather than two years as previously.

Immigration Minister Peter Dutton also has the power to cancel a visa if he is satisfied the holder does not pass “the character test” — including if there is reasonable cause to suspect the person is associating with a group or individual engaged in criminal activity, including motorcycle gangs.

This results in effective deportation, with New Zealanders and Britons the largest groups affected, each involving hundreds of people — 406 Kiwis by October 1.

Those slated to be returned to NZ this year have included scores convicted of child sex offences, murder and rape.

Mr Key has accepted the deportation policy, but added that “when it comes to New Zealanders, the threshold’s currently set in the wrong place”.

Some of the New Zealanders involved have been taken to Christmas Island detention centre while they await deportation.

Last week rioting at the centre following the death of Iranian detainee Fazel Chegeni, causing $10 million damage, involved New Zealanders — seven of whom were transferred to a maximum-security prison in Western Australia.

This triggered widespread vituperative attacks on Australia from NZ.

Even Peter Dunne, the sole United Future MP and Internal Affairs Minister in the Key cabinet, described Mr Dutton as one of “the real villains of the piece, with others in the Australian government who continue to promote and support such savage and inhumane policies” that emanate from Australia’s “frontier approach to justice.”

Christmas Island has been widely dubbed in NZ “Australia’s Alcatraz”. Mr Key was lambasted in parliament as “gutless” for not attacking Canberra more strongly over the issue by Labour MP Kelvin Davis, who had earlier said those awaiting deportation were “people you’d have a beer with in the pub”.

The Prime Minister responded: “Well, you back the rapists and I’ll back New Zealand.”

Many Labour and Green MPs then walked out of the chamber, and several women MPs were ordered out after saying that as victims of sexual violence, they were offended by Mr Key’s remarks.

Gordon Campbell, political editor of NZ website Scoop, blogged that “NZ citizens are being thrown into concentration camps, deported and having their families torn apart by a bunch of Australian goons on what — in the majority of cases — is a dubious legal pretext.

“Simple truth is we’re being kicked around by Australians big time, and all that John Key is saying is: do it faster.”

Despite the media invective, support for the deportees in NZ appears highly circumscribed.

seanz
12-15-2015, 01:59 PM
Interesting figures on the first round of the new flag vote.

The total votes received were 1,546,734, which included 149,747 informal votes (9.7 per cent) and 3372 invalid votes (0.22 per cent).
Voter turnout was 48.78 per cent.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/75129464/flag-referendum-final-voting-figures-due-soon

That sort of turnout for the New vs Old round should see the new flag get in.

seanz
02-04-2016, 10:41 PM
It's a little bit weird....sometimes quite weird.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/76604655/steven-joyce-hit-by-sex-toy-thrown-by-protester-at-waitangi

After a relatively quiet start to Waitangi proceedings on Friday, the heat got turned up briefly when a protester threw a sex toy at Economic Development Minister Steven Joyce.

The Bigfella
02-04-2016, 10:52 PM
Is he a bit of a knob?

Chip-skiff
02-05-2016, 01:09 AM
Sweets for the sweet.

AnalogKid
02-05-2016, 04:38 AM
When I saw this thread near the top of the pile again I knew exactly which story would under discussion. I've seen some wonderful puns about it, but I'm not sure they're repeatable here.

seanz
04-09-2016, 01:50 AM
Interesting figures on the first round of the new flag vote.

The total votes received were 1,546,734, which included 149,747 informal votes (9.7 per cent) and 3372 invalid votes (0.22 per cent).
Voter turnout was 48.78 per cent.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/75129464/flag-referendum-final-voting-figures-due-soon

That sort of turnout for the New vs Old round should see the new flag get in.

And that's exactly what didn't happen.

The old flag still flies. Wasn't a boil-over by any means but a definite decision for sure.

Now, have you noticed that nice ex-PM in the news recently? Put her CV in for the top job at the UN she has. Bit of an absence of the current PM. The one we should be focusing on...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/78649571/andrew-gunn-pm-poopoos-panama-papers

Prime Minister, thanks for joining us again.

I hope this isn't another smart-alarkey question session about Stephen Joyce and the sex toy.
It's not about Steven Joyce and the sex toy.
Because I can't tell you how much he really wants to put that behind him.

​ (http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/78614536/qa-panama-papers-fallout-has-only-just-begun)Well that's a mental picture that won't go away quickly.
You've been saving that one up, haven't you.
Prime Minister, is New Zealand a tax haven?
Of course it's not.
Why do you say that?
Because a tax haven is an offshore location where entities base themselves in order to minimise tax, and it's all a big secret.
And New Zealand is?
An offshore location where entities base themselves in order to minimise tax, and it's not a big secret at all.
And that's not a tax haven?
More of a tax paradise I would have thought. Hah! Work with me here, I'm the Minister of Tourism, I'm trying to make New Zealand sound attractive.
Do you want New Zealand to be attractive to tax dodgers?
I wouldn't call them tax dodgers.
What would you call them?
Gustav, Ferdinand, Monty, something like that I'd imagine. If I knew them. Which I don't. Look, New Zealand is a small country and the key to us getting on in the world is getting on with the world. Being nice to everyone and don't mind their little foibles.
Like the Saudis?
Cultural differences! Valued friends! Grip and grin!
Is being nice to everyone the reason why last week when you met with David Cameron you described New Zealand as a colony?
Now you're learning!
But New Zealand became a dominion in 1907 and fully independent in 1947 when it adopted the Statute of Westminster. In that context doesn't calling us a colony suggest subservience and fawning obsequiousness?
Sorry, what's your point?
If we could just return to the question of New Zealand being a tax haven. Is it true that when you were in Opposition you wanted New Zealand to be the "Jersey of the South Pacific"?
Rugby jersey obviously. Go the ABs! Look I'm actually pretty relaxed about this because the important thing is that ordinary New Zealanders pay their tax and this issue has got nothing to do with that and at the end of the day I don't think most ordinary New Zealanders are that interested in it, quite frankly.
Yes, but if we allow wealthy foreigners to use New Zealand to minimise their tax obligations aren't we being complicit in the erosion of other countries' tax bases?
That's not really our problem is it?
Shouldn't countries be working together on this, for the common good?
That sounds a bit idealistic.
It's the ideal behind the United Nations and you're keen on that at the moment.
Am I ever! Me, Helen and good old Ban Ki-Moon. I can see the handshake photo now!
I think we all can.
And if he's looking for somewhere to invest that pension, I'll be sure to clue him in.

seanz
04-10-2016, 08:33 PM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/78761578/Panama-Papers-NZ-tax-system-review-highly-likely

Prime Minister John Key says he has no tax secrets to hide, but has been called "far too cagey" by Labour for not disclosing the details.

The Government has shifted its position on foreign trusts in the wake of criticism of its handling of the fall-out from the Mossack Fonseca "Panama Papers" document leak.
Key said the Cabinet would consider appointing an international, "independent" expert to look at New Zealand's laws.

I like how they put quotes around "independent"...you rebels, Fairfax.

We've had our tax system etc "looked at" by an international expert for some years now...there's only a "problem" because now the rest of us are looking at it too.

Oh, and Kiwi Bank is for sale, at last, it's taken them a while.

seanz
05-31-2016, 06:01 PM
Winston Peters...weather you like him or not, he's one of the best parliamentary performers around. World class even. :)

https://nz.news.yahoo.com/video/watch/31697578/winston-peters-shames-john-key-over-housing-crisis-quote/#page1

Stiletto
05-31-2016, 07:54 PM
He certainly knows how to play the game to his advantage. I am in his electorate and voted for him, but I do have serious doubts as to whether he is capable of working with anybody!

seanz
12-04-2016, 07:41 PM
There's a surprise. Key resigns and English is his pick for PM. Apart from being seriously out of step with Treasury recently he was looking as viable as ever. Citing the classic "spend more time with the family". Wonder what happened?

AnalogKid
12-04-2016, 07:51 PM
I'll re-post my reply to Ian's thread on the same:

Anything to avoid shaking Trump's hand?

I'm guessing the extra workload re: earthquake recovery pushed him over the edge - we go to the polls next year so going now should leave enough time for a new National leader to establish themselves as PM, and as PM material. Going straight after losing a bye-election where he campaigned heavily and talked up the National candidate's chances is not a good look though.

Just been thinking through the options for replacement, and there aren't many. Deputy Bill hasn't the charisma, nor have any of the other male minsters except perhaps Bridges, but not sure he's ready, so I reckon it's between Crusher Collins and the Bogan Minister for Welfare.

seanz
12-04-2016, 08:02 PM
English hasn't the charisma but Collins has?

What a World....

Collins vs Bennett...I'd pick Collins for the win. Don't underestimate Brownlee.....we all have so far.

john welsford
12-04-2016, 08:14 PM
Winston Peters...weather you like him or not, he's one of the best parliamentary performers around. World class even. :)

https://nz.news.yahoo.com/video/watch/31697578/winston-peters-shames-john-key-over-housing-crisis-quote/#page1

Well, I sat in a cafe in Mt Maunganui and watched him and two associates roundly abuse a very young waitress who was doing her very best to keep everyone happy when there should really have been more staff on, he was nasty, made some very personal comments, abusive and threatening. Just on that alone I wouldnt vote for the undersized loudmouthed drunk that he is.
I consoled the very distressed young woman with the kindest comments that I could, went and spoke to the manager in the hearing of the disagreeable one and told her that if I saw that man in her cafe I'd be walking on past.
Got a "do you know who I am" from him, said yes I do and walked on out.

John Welsford

seanz
12-04-2016, 08:22 PM
Well, I sat in a cafe in Mt Maunganui and watched him and two associates roundly abuse a very young waitress who was doing her very best to keep everyone happy when there should really have been more staff on, he was nasty, made some very personal comments, abusive and threatening. Just on that alone I wouldnt vote for the undersized loudmouthed drunk that he is.
I consoled the very distressed young woman with the kindest comments that I could, went and spoke to the manager in the hearing of the disagreeable one and told her that if I saw that man in her cafe I'd be walking on past.

John Welsford

John, I always suspected you were a quality individual. Well done.

AnalogKid
12-04-2016, 08:24 PM
English hasn't the charisma but Collins has?

What a World....

Collins vs Bennett...I'd pick Collins for the win. Don't underestimate Brownlee.....we all have so far.

Collins hasn't the charisma, or the social skills to realise she hasn't the charisma, but she does have the blind ambition to pursue the leadership - she's got a Thatcher emulation fantasy that's not fully concluded.

AnalogKid
12-04-2016, 08:25 PM

John Welsford

Be very, very afraid if Nigel Farage comes over to run Winston's campaign next year.

+1.

Mcjim
12-04-2016, 09:20 PM
Nicely done John.

I'm not sure that English has enough charisma to keep the party going in government, but Collins or Browlee certainly have enough to get them out. Who else do they have in waiting? JK came out of nowhere.

ahp
12-04-2016, 10:00 PM
Ever since November I have been embarrassed by this clown that will be our next President.

We visited NZ for three weeks in 2007. We thought you people were nice sensible folks. What has happened? Now I don't feel quite as embarrassed.

Then I read about the politics in Canada, specifically Alberta. Have the planets lined up or something?

john welsford
12-04-2016, 10:05 PM

Thank you, I was actually trying to hold onto the impulse that would have had me grab him by the scruff of his neck and rub his face in the gutter. Both my friend and I were fuming.

John Welsford

john welsford
12-04-2016, 10:09 PM
Ever since November I have been embarrassed by this clown that will be our next President.

We visited NZ for three weeks in 2007. We thought you people were nice sensible folks. What has happened? Now I don't feel quite as embarrassed.

Then I read about the politics in Canada, specifically Alberta. Have the planets lined up or something?

When someone has been in that job for as long as he has, there will be a time when its right to move aside. He's timed it appropriately, things are ticking along reasonably well here considering that we like the rest of the world are still in recovery mode from the 2008 financial crisis and some other issues, and that the next election is not quite a year away.

Some will miss him, some wont.
Like all of them, in a few years his prime ministership will be just a memory.

John Welsford

Mcjim
12-04-2016, 10:37 PM
Just to clarify (I think) the slimeball that JW was refering to has never reached the level of prime-minister. About thirty years ago Peters looked like a potential PM but sloped off to be a populist jackass with an annoying following in the blue-rinse brigade.
The resigning PM has his moments but not on such an epic scale and is probably timing things fairly well, he has been in office since 2008 so is due to go do something else.

Paul G.
12-04-2016, 10:59 PM
Winston is too smart to be boorish, he does have a brother that looks just like him

WX
12-05-2016, 12:11 AM
You are still doing better than Italy.:D

john welsford
12-05-2016, 12:59 AM
Winston is too smart to be boorish, he does have a brother that looks just like him

I know Winstone Peters when I see him, have been to a rally where he was speaking. You might recall a few years back when there was a hooraw about him getting involved in a drunken fracas in a cafe in Wellington, I have heard that that was not the only one that he'd been involved in.

John Welsford

Chip-skiff
12-05-2016, 01:05 AM
As I recall, John Key led the Nats to power and his abrupt resignation seems like a fairly big deal.

Seems like he'd have decided to spend more time with the family long before this. Something's about to pop, I reckon.

epoxyboy
12-05-2016, 01:06 AM
Does the McGillicuddy Serious party still exist?
Crusher Collins would be a deal breaker for me as PM - she comes across as having a severely over inflated sense of entitlement, coupled with a genuinely nasty streak. An acquaintence who works for her isnt very complimentary about her people skills.
The rest of them, both sides of the house, have about as much charisma as a piece of over-boiled cabbage. I guess it might make the next election slightly less of a done deal for national.

Pete

OliverBendix
12-05-2016, 04:11 AM
Sadly the McGillicuddy Serious Party folded. And I have to agree about Collins. She toured our organisation shortly after the last election, and a young Austrian colleague asked who that incredibly rude woman he'd met was! I recommended reading her chapter in 'Dirty Politics' to find out.

Key was recommending Bill English today as a decent man, which seems likely to be true.

AnalogKid
12-05-2016, 06:55 PM
Coleman as a contender, I didn't see that coming. He's my MP and a bit like a diluted Key, Key without the charisma.

epoxyboy
12-05-2016, 11:39 PM
Jonathan Who? I couldn't even put a face to the name, until I saw a photo. Stephen Joyce and Paula Bennett still trying to make their minds up apparently. Yeah, nah.
Don Brash rated Key a five out of ten - said he hadn't rocked the boat, but hadn't really achieved anything of signifigance in eight years. I thought that was perhaps a bit harsh, with the exception of the housing affordability problem. They have dropped the ball big time there, IMO.

Pete

OliverBendix
12-06-2016, 12:42 AM
Don Brash sounded disappointed that Key hasn't ripped about the place and chopped away government spending, social support, health, generally caused mayhem like Brash would like to. That's what Brash would do if he was as popular as Key... But i think he's missed that that's one of the reasons Key was as popular as he was for so long

seanz
12-06-2016, 04:16 PM
English vs Collins at the moment. Picture in news site of Collins smiling, under the headline Make Pike River a Tomb.
What bothers most people about Collins is her aggressive style, what bothers me the most is that she's one of those ones that can't separate her business from her politics.

AnalogKid
12-06-2016, 04:38 PM
I don't trust Coleman to act in anything but his own immediate interest if his NIMBY meddling in local affairs (against the stated goals of his ministerial portfolios of Health and Sports & Recreation) is anything to go by. He's hardly a 'generational change' either, only 4 years younger than English.

Collins also seems to be in it for herself, or or husband's business interests - amounts to the same thing really.

Chip-skiff
12-08-2016, 01:49 AM
A couple choice digs from my mates in EnZed:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/RP1PsaTB4F6KLFV3HvddKLQlr0X9t5Bthnx6-7w1IsmehipJ9g_um6qxu16Cmow5HVWlgkQlriXxOB7rTlgScjV ft7KzyJiHUwmbnzBdW6FvKTeZSDmWj9fiMv4GxXK50qUL7rkFG aNDS8IoJ2dk8UR-abQ0XJYsiwNOeOrRuMGN06XPND6By36oQ1PRyO7_Zmj_rwSI4u uMHdrYOQpVnUFdjDj9I7eTEeekVATbIRKHfDhy2F_xo2Cf6FtO zuaoZg68UzWNgvr3hVzqK9FrCZFjHPNSIWcL-ixw-dCxTcsgDQ25-f-GMvVZ9Zjee1wZ5r0gF-J5slTcBHk3mp00JTjY4a0Ubd4AnJ983KIbA0xeXXlirYNZcOku MaoL88nueg9biqC5R7hgRJ9N5HUIhQ6_Pxgrdr3XoyVtp0whfw 3HxYIHppJ_6ypv6jUesJNs9qtjWYWUcdNb2RltTEHuqYwQRlzY b151oXCxTMNhfcM5tZ76atyeDfSyRwEUrrTXpaPsMuvIfDCCC7 OWx-2eYqiCnBcMXZbErhIjjapER9bKkixAlQIhflkSzk0Ye_7guL-JZygX-RjUSyJJKTcvL-6wAQFgrdedUYkbQt_yydLq47Mz=w303-h379-no

Why are so-called conservatives such reckless spenders? They have to let their mates steal, pillage, and plunder.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/qpBE9jNkNl7whbjeYM1FtuXv528YjCNLhPZnkn5gCjSa7JuUNB 7dr_NQ6lphdRCcrFZJBt2xx_c4z2mH4KuCUL_6wj1AJIswIsBG cTvAHRyT9sn-iXiDUKyTHc3sgRJrp0iapfvy-nv6p7jhz-9790R0q6MaIXSfOqXjvJDhqB568O69_nNjSetFUXPQR8SuMXtD w18PdVB3EuuNCeDo61HRhCsnLK8aYNwdDV48BxsFWk3WvOf0Z2 6u1pG-EpRirsbVwi7jR3sa7MN-0L_Vl1HlJfyKFMZRsgROLT9b_5awrHciKOprDhco3l2B7yM2BG CSiGX6oat7oGtDEQoTaGyPpQOPXlroyYdeYiKXU36u-ZPeP5TyMRO7_4Lqxr3S6O_ozrLcHS7QdN7iKrirFehyOPkcZEh zmRturIBPputJ3Dd2jBR2B6Qum5zC0rTOwrUrSTDaeQ9-voRn_SzxgW5cS8K-BVf4dz3dCnh3H7SXyL7AWEjhdMVOY0hRdT6dLCkfjsg_vyP8O0 0POgQl439KvY_7-gcIHXoyxv9FwQpF5ZtWHblhxm54C1y3T1yHU0ENzrAAEMt8M6N y9i3yYnxi34PmUjvoSgOKmQu9V1xWywn4=w475-h333-no

seanz
12-08-2016, 12:16 PM
It's Bill English. Heard him on the radio, sounded nervous.

Norman Bernstein
12-08-2016, 03:59 PM
For you Kiwis:

This showed up on my Facebook feed :)

https://scontent.fbos1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15355825_1530922493590749_8130974927778538280_n.jp g?oh=b0d8d84f7e1f3bac9b98db490b48004d&oe=58B87F04

seanz
12-22-2016, 04:07 PM
Uh-huh....

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/87892112/fire-outside-wellingtons-treasury-building

A mystery.

seanz
02-04-2017, 06:13 PM
An election date....excited yet?

Anybody seen Judith?

Oscar Kightley giving a valuable and profound immigrants perspective on Peter Thiel's citizenship.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/good-reads/89098077/oscar-kightley-why-thiels-nz-citizenship-is-a-bit-rich

OPINION: As an immigrant from Samoa, one of the first terms that I can remember learning in english was "New Zealand citizenship".
Taken in by extended family in West Auckland so that I would be legit and safe from the dawn raids, I thought that my adoption came with citizenship.
And it wasn't until I was 21 and went to apply for a New Zealand passport for the first time, that I was shocked to discover that while I was a permanent resident, I wasn't a citizen.
After 16 more years of procrastination, during which I had to apply for a visa to go anywhere but Samoa, and having finally accepted that I wasn't just here on a really long OE from the islands, I decided to apply for citizenship.
It involved a robust process that required a lot of patience and a lot of supporting legal documents. I can still remember the final day of the process, lining up outside the Auckland Town Hall with 400 others from what seemed like every nation in the world.
Inside, a speech from a representative from the Auckland City Council confirmed the wide spread of new citizens who came from everywhere from Azerbaijan to Zimbabwe.
The nicest part of the welcome was when we were encouraged to keep hold on to our birth nations' citizenships and not only let New Zealand leave its mark on us, but for us to leave our mark on New Zealand.
The ceremony is carried out in alphabetical order and once your row makes it to the side of the stage, they call your name and you walk across on your own to collect your certificate of citizenship.
I thought I would find it routine, but it was actually a thrilling and emotional moment. I'd left one side of the stage as a permanent resident of New Zealand and, by the time I got to the other side, I was a citizen.
That it also seemed such a special moment for every single person going through that ceremony in the Town Hall that day, made me realise how precious a thing New Zealand citizenship is, and that if you weren't born here, it's something you have to earn by clearly demonstrating your commitment and enthusiasm for the place.
Add up whatever it is that billionaire US businessman Peter Thiel has invested in New Zealand, and that is how much a citizenship here can cost. And now he's got in, other super-rich people around the world can look at this figure and potentially consider it a worthwhile investment.
Presumably, it must be in the millions. How lucky are we to hold such expensive passports? It certainly makes the $180 it costs to renew your passport in New Zealand look very cheap indeed.
Perhaps, it is akin to giving Thiel an honorary degree in recognition of his investments in the country. And that's all good. Thiel's was such a special exception they even let him have the ceremony in Santa Monica.

My only worry over this is that the normal rules will still apply to the vast majority of people who apply for New Zealand citizenship.
And that whenever there's a story about people being deported from New Zealand because of the rules - like the Indian students seeking sanctuary in an Auckland church because they face deportation thanks to their agents forging documents - the case of Peter Thiel will always be remembered.
We can no longer sneer or look down our nose at smaller countries that kowtow to rich individuals because of how much money they can invest. New Zealand is one of those countries too.

- Sunday News

Probably an over-reaction. Thiel was born in Germany and really, when was the last time that a wealthy German who made millions from the internet caused us any trouble?