PDA

View Full Version : Scary if it's true: Operation Choke Point

Mike Erkkinen
08-27-2014, 02:15 PM
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/aug/25/keene-the-devious-designs-of-operation-choke-point/#ixzz3BbDRNuHA

ccmanuals
08-27-2014, 02:24 PM
Washington Times, really?

htom
08-27-2014, 03:56 PM
This is what you'd expect from trash outfits like Washington Times.... not journalism, by ANY stretch of the meaning of the word.

For example, how about payday lenders? Predators charging up to 1500% interest (on an APR basis) to people too unsophisticated that they are willing to be fleeced like that? Does anyone think that these paydat lenders don't deserve some tight scrutiny?

Scrutiny, maybe. Having their accounts closed before the scrutiny, not so much. You can sneer at the WT all you like, this is old news to the firearms community. Places that have been in business for decades with no problems are having bank accounts closed because the banks are afraid they might have to deal with the feds.

S.V. Airlie
08-27-2014, 03:58 PM
Next! Book burning. Concept is close to the same!

htom
08-27-2014, 04:37 PM
Next! Book burning. Concept is close to the same!

Shh. We don't talk about the Truthy database on-line.

Phillip Allen
08-27-2014, 04:47 PM
This is what you'd expect from trash outfits like Washington Times.... not journalism, by ANY stretch of the meaning of the word.

For example, how about payday lenders? Predators charging up to 1500% interest (on an APR basis) to people too unsophisticated that they are willing to be fleeced like that? Does anyone think that these paydat lenders don't deserve some tight scrutiny?

do we have it on your authority that the article is a lie, then? Ya know, that could be dangerous if it is determined to be wrong to persecute some business based on such 'misinformation‘... you could be held criminally liable for 'assisting' in the spread of the ... ah... untruth.

skuthorp
08-27-2014, 04:58 PM
I await with interest the future of what seems a promising initiative……………...

S.V. Airlie
08-27-2014, 05:09 PM

For example, how about payday lenders? Predators charging up to 1500% interest (on an APR basis) to people too unsophisticated that they are willing to be fleeced like that? Does anyone think that these paydat lenders don't deserve some tight scrutiny?Just think if it was a Huffypoop article

Jim Bow
08-27-2014, 05:14 PM
I hope they are also choking those fly-by-night "military lenders" outside most large forts and bases. Lots of enlisted people are ending up with their paychecks garnished. Taking advantage of desperate or naive people is immoral.

Phillip Allen
08-27-2014, 05:24 PM
google 'operation choke point' and you'll find these and many others

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Choke_Point

http://dailycaller.com/2014/07/18/operation-choke-point-hearing-reveals-doj-threats-and-strong-arming/

Phillip Allen
08-27-2014, 05:33 PM
isn't this something Nixon wanted to do?

stevebaby
08-27-2014, 05:36 PM
do we have it on your authority that the article is a lie, then? Ya know, that could be dangerous if it is determined to be wrong to persecute some business based on such 'misinformation‘... you could be held criminally liable for 'assisting' in the spread of the ... ah... untruth.That was interesting...I never knew that The Land of the Free had criminal laws against "spreading untruths".

htom
08-27-2014, 07:26 PM
That was interesting...I never knew that The Land of the Free had criminal laws against "spreading untruths".

Then why is there going to be a government database filled with untruths? http://truthy.indiana.edu/

Mike Erkkinen
08-27-2014, 09:11 PM
Obviously most of the outfits that are effected are pretty undesirable, but I think it's a very dangerous precedent to start. Whether or not the Washington times is a crappy paper or not is besides the point, since this program seems to exist in exactly the way WT reports it from the handful of sources that I checked. Do some really believe that it's ok for the justice dept to strong arm banks to get rid of legal businesses that they don't like?