PDA

View Full Version : New small boat monthly digital magazine?

low277
08-22-2014, 10:05 AM
Anyone know any more information on this? Is there a link?

StevenBauer
08-22-2014, 11:42 AM
http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?181321-SmallBoatsMonthly

dredbob
08-22-2014, 09:22 PM
Here is the site for the new online publication:

http://www.smallboatsmonthly.com/new/

AJZimm
08-24-2014, 01:58 PM
Is anyone else having trouble trying to subscribe to the new publication? I am willing to give it a go but the sign-up screen gets stuck at the new subscriber information page - won't get past the name, email and password page to create a new account. I tried 2 different browsers. I've filled in the online help form but haven't got a reply yet

makenmend
08-24-2014, 02:55 PM
I was able to sign up and get confirmation no problem, using pc and firefox.

MM

andrewpatrol
08-24-2014, 10:51 PM
Has anyone seen an issue yet? Is it like SMall Craft Advisor? Or more like WB? Wouldn't mind seeing one before signing

Oldad
08-25-2014, 08:55 AM
I signed up using my mac, no probs, looking fwd to seeing what its all about

callsign222
08-25-2014, 12:02 PM
Andrew, comes out in early Sept.

Does this mean no more Small Boats annual issue?

WI-Tom
08-25-2014, 01:23 PM
I think the plan is for the annual Small Boats print issue to be a collection of reviews/articles published throughout the year in the digital version--not sure, though.

Tom

MPM
08-25-2014, 03:06 PM
Hi All--
Tom is correct: We'll continue to publish the annual print edition, and it will contain a selection of articles from the new digital monthly magazine.

Alex: I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble signing up. We've had many flawless signups so far, but a few reports of the problem you describe. I would have guessed it to be a browser issue, but you seem to have already covered that base. I'll work to get more information for you. Please stand by--
Matt Murphy

Oldad
08-25-2014, 03:18 PM
Some times you get held up when you fail to answer one of the questions and don't see what you missed, happens to me once in a while

Lewisboater
08-25-2014, 03:30 PM
my thought is... why is the very little type that says your card will be charged monthly... so little! are you ashamed to show it loud and proud? Do you really have to resort to small print to "catch" the unwary?

David Cockey
09-02-2014, 11:34 PM
First issue available today. Interesting but not fantastic. Less content than I was hoping for. I'll keep subscribing though.

asloth
09-02-2014, 11:53 PM
First issue available today. Interesting but not fantastic. Less content than I was hoping for. I'll keep subscribing though.

David, How did you access the first issue today? I've signed up, signed in today and got the sign up window, no digital mag. Birth pains?

Steve C.

MPM
09-03-2014, 11:23 AM
Steve--
Are you signing in via this page: smallboatsmonthly.com? If you are, and have a valid username and password, then there should be no problem. But if there is a problem, please contact the customer care team at Press+. (http://www.mypressplus.com/help). They manage the subscriptions to SBM, and should easily figure out the problem. If the problem persists, please email or PM me.
Best--
Matt

bnaboatbuilder
09-03-2014, 11:26 AM
Are you able to download a PDF of the new digital magazine in similar fashion as WB mag? I read PDFs on my ipad and have no interest in web magazine readers.

MPM
09-03-2014, 11:34 AM
John: Not yet. But we're looking into PDF delivery of single articles and/or entire issues.

Steve: Try this: Once you are signed into Press+, manually enter smallboatsmonthly.com in your browser window. (As you imply, it should automatically redirect, and we're working on making it do so.)
Matt

Yeadon
09-03-2014, 11:49 AM
Chris Cunningham edited Sea Kayaker magazine for a long time. That was an extremely readable and interesting magazine. I was sorry to see that publication cease printing. I'm excited about his latest effort. I have high hopes for this publication.

bnaboatbuilder
09-03-2014, 11:49 AM
---

Yeadon
09-03-2014, 11:57 AM
my thought is... why is the very little type that says your card will be charged monthly... so little! are you ashamed to show it loud and proud? Do you really have to resort to small print to "catch" the unwary?

There is an occasional disconnect between WoodenBoat and a few of its marketing efforts. My best guess is that they've hired an outside agency that is perhaps a little too well-versed in direct marketing, and less versed in WoodenBoat's voice and general demeanor. (See the "Save Time and Money" banner above.) I laughed when I spotted that small print on the landing page. It would be better to place that fine print directly under the CTA, versus hiding it off to the right in really little print. No one likes a surprise.

Also, when I opened the email the main CTA says "Read the Charter Issue," which made me think that the first issue was free. Surprise, not free.

Separately, I'm looking forward to seeing what WB comes up with for Small Boats.

jpatrick
09-03-2014, 03:35 PM
Matt,

Here is an email that I sent as a response to the one from WoodenBoat that announced the new arrival. Probably no one will ever see the email I sent since it probably went to a robot thing. But I didn't know where else I might address my issue. Now, I have your ear.....

I'd like to read the new Small boats monthly and was signing up for it. Then I got to the part where I had to agree to a long page of "conditions" imposed by Press+. Most of these conditions are totally extraneous to the purchase of a simple magazine, online or not. Furthermore the conditions are complex enough that I cannot determine what effect they may have on my privacy and my use of the material (all I want to do is read the bloody thing). So, unless you amend the subscription process I won't be joining you.

-Jeff

MPM
09-03-2014, 04:11 PM
Thank you, Jeff. We checked out a number of vendors before choosing Press+ to handle SBM subscriptions. They were the best fit for this endeavor. I don't know how their terms and conditions compare with others, but subscribers certainly should be aware of these conditions. So, here is a link (http://www.mypressplus.com/readers/terms) to the terms and conditions to which you refer. They (Press+) have a clear commitment to protecting privacy, and there's nothing here that would keep me from subscribing--but we certainly respect your decision not to. Please know that we're currently discussing PDF delivery of the SBM content, and will keep you apprised here should we go forward with that. Thanks again--
Matt

asloth
09-04-2014, 01:11 PM
Steve--
Are you signing in via this page: smallboatsmonthly.com? If you are, and have a valid username and password, then there should be no problem. But if there is a problem, please contact the customer care team at Press+. (http://www.mypressplus.com/help). They manage the subscriptions to SBM, and should easily figure out the problem. If the problem persists, please email or PM me.
Best--
Matt

Thanks for the suggestion above, it worked and I've quickly read most/all of the contents. Looking forward to expanded/more articles in future issues.
Steve C.

mcdenny
09-16-2014, 08:36 AM
You got me with the little 20' cabin cruiser. Sign up was straightforward with iPad.

Another vote for the PDF download. We travel a lot and sometimes only get wifi now and then.

kwsherwood
10-19-2014, 08:06 PM
Great concept Wooden Boat. Now for execution, I'd encourage a bit more of the magazine experience and a bit more of the digital. Monthly is great but a magazine needs somewhat more extensive clement. ..even at this bargain price. Then. ..what can you do online? One reader above mentions a more liberal use of illustrations. I'd include the opportunity to include maps.

kwsherwood
10-19-2014, 08:49 PM
Another idea ... selected small boat reprints from the WB archives.

Old Dryfoot
10-21-2014, 03:11 PM
One more vote for PDF editions please.