X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jim Bow
    Normcore
    • Jul 2008

Did you ever notice ...

I live near the hospital district in Tacoma, WA. Did you ever notice, near hospitals, how many employees you see outside wearing their scrubs and smoking cigarettes? Dont health workers pay attention to health warnings?
    “Come, come, my conservative friend, wipe the dew off your spectacles and see the world is moving" - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
  • Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
    treetop flyer
    • Sep 2003

Re: Did you ever notice ...

Everybody knows it's bad for you, they just don't give a......well you know what I mean.
    I've been in two hospitals that don't allow smoking, anywhere on their property, inside or out.
    Some hospitals won't hire you, if you admit to being a smoker.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Comment

• BrianW
      not your average member
      • Nov 2002

It's a tough critter to throw.

I've managed to quit for over two years now, and still love the smell. I like to joke that when I'm 70, I'll start again, and who would care.

(By then though, it will be marijuana, not tobacco)

So, while I could be an arse, I actually feel bad for my fellow humans still working on their addiction. There is no need to make smoking a fag harder than need be, in order to not interfere with nonsmokers. A whole campus is a bit of a crazy limit. Just get them away from common traffic areas, and then let them light up.
      “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”― Mark Twain,

Comment

• Curtism
        Treadin' Trodden Trails
        • Jul 2010

The two main hospitals here have smoking bans on their campus' and I saw a lot of staffers sneaking off to quiet corners for a smoke. The one that surprised me the most was they day I saw half of the chemo nursing staff huddled on a corner behind the hospital puffing away.

Life is short, play with your cougar.

Comment

• LeeG
          • May 2002

People aren't perfect. My parents both smoked. Smart people but they smoked. I never understood the reward. I remember when my daughter was born the anesthesiologist came into the room to administer and monitor and it was obvious she had just finished a cigarette.

Comment

• hokiefan
            • Feb 2002

Originally posted by BrianW
            It's a tough critter to throw.

I've managed to quit for over two years now, and still love the smell. I like to joke that when I'm 70, I'll start again, and who would care.

(By then though, it will be marijuana, not tobacco)

So, while I could be an arse, I actually feel bad for my fellow humans still working on their addiction. There is no need to make smoking a fag harder than need be, in order to not interfere with nonsmokers. A whole campus is a bit of a crazy limit. Just get them away from common traffic areas, and then let them light up.
            I know a small handful of people who have been motivated to quit when their workplace was made smoke-free. I'll take that as a net positive.

Cheers,

Bobby

Comment

• cs
              Elite Invisible Member
              • Feb 2001

I battled the nicotine addiction for many years. At one point I smoked 3 packs a day, so I understand the addiction and it is indeed a tough beast to kick.

But yeah I've noticed that here also.

Chad
              There are three ways to do things: The right way, the wrong way and my way.

Three Little Birds
              Love is My Religion

Comment

• Too Little Time
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Jim Bow
                I live near the hospital district in Tacoma, WA. Did you ever notice, near hospitals, how many employees you see outside wearing their scrubs and smoking cigarettes? Dont health workers pay attention to health warnings?
                Hospitals have staff that is unrelated to providing health care. They may dress the same.
                Life is complex.

Comment

• George Jung
                  • Jan 2004

Not necessarily. I know several HC workers - including respiratory, pulmonary medicine, surgery, and even oncology - who smoke. The decision is divorced from the avocation. And yeah - it's a tough nut to crack. You don't think Phillip Morris knows that?
                  There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Comment

• John Smith
                    • Mar 2009

I see kids coming out of school and lighting up. Back in the day, it seemed common sense that smoking was not a good idea, healthwise, but the facts weren't in yet. Facts have been in for a long time. I suspect some of this is the concept that bad things happen to the 'other guy'.

When my post office decided to go smoke free, I argued against it. We had a HUGE building with a very high ceiling. Banning smoking I argued, correctly as it turned out, would drive all the smoking into the rest rooms and we'd get more second hand smoke than we got with them smoking on the floor.

I tried to get them, instead, to put a program in place to help people quit, which everyone who smoked seemed to want to do. I thought we could start off with a single smoke free hour each day for a month. Then add another hour and so on.

I got shot down.
                    "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Comment

Working...