PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on "Board Buddies"?

BrianR
09-04-2003, 12:39 AM
I was hunting around for a good featherboard, and I came across "board buddies". It is intended to prevent kickback, but I'm wondering if they have the effect of "pushing" the board against the fence, much like a featherboard would. Any thoughts? TIA

BrianR
I was hunting around for a good featherboard, and I came across "board buddies". It is intended to prevent kickback, but I'm wondering if they have the effect of "pushing" the board against the fence, much like a featherboard would. Any thoughts? TIA

BrianR

Dave Fleming
09-04-2003, 01:06 AM
Got a URL for this?

Dave Fleming
Got a URL for this?

Dave Fleming
Got a URL for this?

BrianR
09-04-2003, 10:25 AM
Hi Dave! Yeah, sure, you can see more here:

http://www.tools-plus.com/woow1104.html

Thanks.

BrianR

Thanks.

BrianR

Thanks.

whb
09-04-2003, 11:05 AM
Looks like a good idea. Sort of. I wonder if it might screw up keeping a board tight to the fence.

Howard

whb
Looks like a good idea. Sort of. I wonder if it might screw up keeping a board tight to the fence.

Howard

whb

Howard

Dave Fleming
09-04-2003, 12:22 PM
IMOOP, $40 bucks is a lot of money for something that any half way competent woodworker should be able to make for themselves.

I am quite sure Woodsmith as well as FWW have a million plans/sketches for build it your own devices from crude to elegant which that gizmo ain't.

But suit yerself, or so says I.

BIG PS: I dunno about folks being dazzled by gizmos shown in some catalog. So much of this type of stuff never existed before the boom in home woodworking blossomed in the 1960's. Oh sure, there has always been a home woodworker element out there but, it was more of the do it your self variety with NO slick catalogs from the boutique outfits that abound today.
I reckon if a person is impatient enough to go out and spend good hard earned money on many of these things rather than sitting down with their thinking caps on then, ayup, the stuff is for them. Seems to me that being able to do stuff on ones own or with some minimal help aka 'local neightborhood machine shop', there is precious little that cannot be done with readily availabe materials.
Items like router tables, shaper jigs and fixtures, drill press aux. tables and to me the worst of all, ***organizers for router bits and woodworking drill bits***!
If ya gotta BUY such stuff, what the hell are you doing woodwork for????

Apologies for hijacking your thread Brian and the comments are NOT directed to you personally.
Folla?

[ 09-04-2003, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: Dave Fleming ]

Dave Fleming
IMOOP, $40 bucks is a lot of money for something that any half way competent woodworker should be able to make for themselves.

I am quite sure Woodsmith as well as FWW have a million plans/sketches for build it your own devices from crude to elegant which that gizmo ain't.

BIG PS: I dunno about folks being dazzled by gizmos shown in some catalog. So much of this type of stuff never existed before the boom in home woodworking blossomed in the 1960's. Oh sure, there has always been a home woodworker element out there but, it was more of the do it your self variety with NO slick catalogs from the boutique outfits that abound today.
I reckon if a person is impatient enough to go out and spend good hard earned money on many of these things rather than sitting down with their thinking caps on then, ayup, the stuff is for them. Seems to me that being able to do stuff on ones own or with some minimal help aka 'local neightborhood machine shop', there is precious little that cannot be done with readily availabe materials.
Items like router tables, shaper jigs and fixtures, drill press aux. tables and to me the worst of all, ***organizers for router bits and woodworking drill bits***!

Apologies for hijacking your thread Brian and the comments are NOT directed to you personally.
Folla?

Dave Fleming

Folla?

bud
09-04-2003, 12:30 PM
As far as keeping the board against the fence - that type of thing needs to be adjusted carefully so that they are angled slightly - tracking the piece toward the fence and not straight ahead.
But they won't push like a feather-board, but a feather-board won't hold down! Also they don't need to be adjusted every time you cut a different width.

bud
As far as keeping the board against the fence - that type of thing needs to be adjusted carefully so that they are angled slightly - tracking the piece toward the fence and not straight ahead.
But they won't push like a feather-board, but a feather-board won't hold down! Also they don't need to be adjusted every time you cut a different width.

bud

Dave Fleming
09-04-2003, 12:40 PM
Ya never made a set of vertical feather boards for your rip fence?
Aux.fence screwed or bolted to rip fence but taller, vertical feather boards attach to it with clamping knobs or DeStaCo clamps.

Dave Fleming
Aux.fence screwed or bolted to rip fence but taller, vertical feather boards attach to it with clamping knobs or DeStaCo clamps.

Dave Fleming

Dave R
09-04-2003, 01:40 PM
I've used Board Buddies for ripping with a radial arm saw and didn't like them. (I also don't like ripping with a RAS) They are kind of a pain to adjust. I like featherboards better on the tablesaw. I frequently clamp one to the fence vertically and one horizontally, just ahead of the blade. Sometimes I'll put two on the fence.

The rear end of the fence needs to be clamped down for vertical featherboards to be effective. I have the Incra TSIIIa on my saw so the back end is clamped as a matter of course.

Dave R
I've used Board Buddies for ripping with a radial arm saw and didn't like them. (I also don't like ripping with a RAS) They are kind of a pain to adjust. I like featherboards better on the tablesaw. I frequently clamp one to the fence vertically and one horizontally, just ahead of the blade. Sometimes I'll put two on the fence.

The rear end of the fence needs to be clamped down for vertical featherboards to be effective. I have the Incra TSIIIa on my saw so the back end is clamped as a matter of course.

Dave R

BrianR
09-04-2003, 04:09 PM
Dave - I understand your point completely, no insult taken.

Of course, I've made feather boards before, but the hastle is when you have to constantly adjust the darn thing every time you take a eighth off a board for example. Then, I have to undo some clamps, make the adjustment, and re-clamp.

So - I thought I'd look for a featherboard that screwed into the table slot and made for an easier adjustment. Then - I came across these and became curiouser and curiouser.....

If I really had my druthers, I'd make my own chop saw extensions, my own tool cabinets, my own featherboards, etc., etc., .....but for a guy who gets home at 7 pm, and makes it into his garage around 8:30 pm,.....well, you gotta decide if your gonna build that boat you been dreaming of, or if you should spend time on all the "other" stuff.

Anyway - thanks for your thoughts. I always enjoy reading your comments Dave.

[ 09-04-2003, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: BrianR ]

BrianR

Of course, I've made feather boards before, but the hastle is when you have to constantly adjust the darn thing every time you take a eighth off a board for example. Then, I have to undo some clamps, make the adjustment, and re-clamp.

So - I thought I'd look for a featherboard that screwed into the table slot and made for an easier adjustment. Then - I came across these and became curiouser and curiouser.....

If I really had my druthers, I'd make my own chop saw extensions, my own tool cabinets, my own featherboards, etc., etc., .....but for a guy who gets home at 7 pm, and makes it into his garage around 8:30 pm,.....well, you gotta decide if your gonna build that boat you been dreaming of, or if you should spend time on all the "other" stuff.

BrianR

gary porter
09-04-2003, 04:55 PM
Brian, as far as what I can see by the pictures,
I don't think I would like that setup. Don't see how you can smoothly feed the stock past the wheels. Sometimes all that stuff just gets in the way and is actually less safe. A splitter with antikickback pawls works great and feeding the stock smoothly with a push board goes a long way toward safe operation.
Gary

gary porter
I don't think I would like that setup. Don't see how you can smoothly feed the stock past the wheels. Sometimes all that stuff just gets in the way and is actually less safe. A splitter with antikickback pawls works great and feeding the stock smoothly with a push board goes a long way toward safe operation.
Gary

gary porter
Gary

Alan D. Hyde
09-04-2003, 05:14 PM
You said it, Gary.

That'll work, and simpler is better.

And cheaper (agreement with Dave on "handyman" gadgets).

Alan

Alan D. Hyde
You said it, Gary.

Alan

Alan D. Hyde
You said it, Gary.

Alan

Dave Fleming
09-04-2003, 05:31 PM
Stick around folks, I just got back from the building in the center of town. The red brick one with the lions out front.
As soon as I get them organized I will post some titles to investigate.

Dave Fleming
Stick around folks, I just got back from the building in the center of town. The red brick one with the lions out front.

Dave Fleming

Dave R
09-06-2003, 12:58 PM
Brian, I have a pair of Bench Dog brand feather boards. They came with a bar that clamps into the miter gauge slot on the saw and they aren't that expensive.

Dave R
Brian, I have a pair of Bench Dog brand feather boards. They came with a bar that clamps into the miter gauge slot on the saw and they aren't that expensive.

Dave R

Barry
09-07-2003, 12:39 AM
I had looked at board buddies also,but didn't care for them much. Just featherboards, work fine
and easy enough to make from scrap. I built an auxiliary fence for my table saw. Found a piece of
ash in the dumpster at work. It was a cross member from a High end conference table they threw out(could't find the top though). 3 1/2" tall by 7'. Cut to length of my fence,chamfered the edges, routed a dado and mouted 3/4 x 3/8 t-track. Took about an hour and cost 13.00 bucks for the t-track. Good set up and I can use the aux fence for ripping narrow and thin stock.
Had enough left over to make one for my friend's saw.

[ 09-07-2003, 01:00 AM: Message edited by: Barry ]

Barry
I had looked at board buddies also,but didn't care for them much. Just featherboards, work fine
and easy enough to make from scrap. I built an auxiliary fence for my table saw. Found a piece of
ash in the dumpster at work. It was a cross member from a High end conference table they threw out(could't find the top though). 3 1/2" tall by 7'. Cut to length of my fence,chamfered the edges, routed a dado and mouted 3/4 x 3/8 t-track. Took about an hour and cost 13.00 bucks for the t-track. Good set up and I can use the aux fence for ripping narrow and thin stock.

Barry