PDA

View Full Version : New "Launchings" format

Arko
08-16-2014, 12:45 PM
I like it. It shows more boats and breaks them down into construction types. Also, how is this new small boats monthly going to work? How many boats will be featured? One per month? More? Sounds like a good plan but for some reason I still like a magazine I can hold and read and flip back and forth through. We will see how it goes I guess.

upchurchmr
08-16-2014, 03:26 PM
What in the world are you talking about?

rbgarr
08-16-2014, 07:05 PM
Robin Jettinghoff at WB is in charge of the 'Launchings' section of the magazine. I guess you're referring to a new format in the new issue?

almeyer
08-21-2014, 09:39 PM
I like the Launchings new format also. Well done, Robin.
Al

rbgarr
08-22-2014, 10:25 AM
+1!

Bob Cleek
08-22-2014, 03:52 PM
+2! Although my sense of it was that it was only a 40th anniversary thing. Frankly, one might expect that it might be difficult at times to find enough new traditionally built boats each month to fill that section. Sort of sad, too. I know. I know. They're boats, too and they gotta sell magazines, but I swear, one of these days, the Gougeons are going to start a magazine called EpoxyBoat and put WoodenBoat out of business.

Arko
08-22-2014, 06:41 PM
I thought it was going to be the standard format for that section from now on, maybe Im wrong. If I am well then it is too bad.
upchurchmr, in the new issue of WB you will see what Im talking about. Read it, its a good magazine.

upchurchmr
08-22-2014, 07:05 PM
I will probably look at it in the Book store.
I quit buying the magazine when they wanted to charge for an index after I had supported them by buying the mag for 10's of years.

Bob Cleek
08-25-2014, 09:15 PM
I will probably look at it in the Book store.
I quit buying the magazine when they wanted to charge for an index after I had supported them by buying the mag for 10's of years.

Quit'cher bitchin', ya cheapskate! WB has had their entire index, up to date, on line for years... and for free!

http://www.woodenboat.com/index

Save it to your favorites and renew your subscription!

upchurchmr
08-25-2014, 09:48 PM
Well it has been years since I got irritated. I probably didn't pay attention when they changed their mind.
I guess I'll have to find something else.:D

Cheapskate is my middle name.

jpatrick
08-29-2014, 12:41 AM
I don't care for this new format they used in Launchings/Re-launchings. It's the categorizing that bothers me. Like somehow one's new boat has to fit into some sort of pre-ordained format. I think it deprives the builders all being part of a cohesive group by creating a bunch of small groups.

I've always enjoyed the section and often turn to it first when I get the new issue. Like I can't wait to join their launch parties. But with the new arrangement, the build-it-this-way guys all hang together and don't have to invite the other guys over to join them. I don't know. It somehow smacks of a sort of discrimination.

I'm probably not being very clear but that's most likely because I'm not sure of my feeling either. But that's how the new section's look affected me. I still like the boats though. And my admiration and thrill for each of the builders hasn't diminished at all.

Jeff

Tom Lathrop
09-03-2014, 06:52 PM
Not everything is going to appeal to everyone. I know that "Launchings" is usually the first thing I turn to when I get WB. I very much like the added number of boats and am not as sure about the categories but they don't bother me at first glance. What is lacking is the same thing that I have wanted in WB in all areas for decades and that is more detail if it is available.

Dannybb55
11-19-2014, 05:54 AM
It would be nice if the magazine would do more carvel articles. We have an old girl coming in next month at Moores Marine in Beaufort, NC. In 18 big boat jobs we have only seen Woodenboat TWICE. I think that w e are too traditional for the readers.

rbgarr
11-19-2014, 08:40 AM
Too high-end/expensive for the reader demographic, I'd suspect.

Dannybb55
11-19-2014, 04:58 PM
Material wise carvel is cheaper, longer lived, and easier to repair.

BrianM
11-19-2014, 07:42 PM
I don't care for this new format they used in Launchings/Re-launchings. It's the categorizing that bothers me. Like somehow one's new boat has to fit into some sort of pre-ordained format. I think it deprives the builders all being part of a cohesive group by creating a bunch of small groups.

I've always enjoyed the section and often turn to it first when I get the new issue. Like I can't wait to join their launch parties. But with the new arrangement, the build-it-this-way guys all hang together and don't have to invite the other guys over to join them. I don't know. It somehow smacks of a sort of discrimination.

I'm probably not being very clear but that's most likely because I'm not sure of my feeling either. But that's how the new section's look affected me. I still like the boats though. And my admiration and thrill for each of the builders hasn't diminished at all.

Jeff

I just found it very distracting and "busy". I didn't think so far as to feel it separated people.

i usually scan the section. If a boat is attractive, generally I'm already "on-board" and the building method is not so important, otherwise I found myself not enjoying the launchings and relaunching a section because it had me in a "type" mode rather than an "aesthetics" mode if that makes any sense.

J.Madison
11-20-2014, 07:58 AM
Material wise carvel is cheaper, longer lived, and easier to repair.

Thank you! The idea that carvel is "high end" is misplaced. Carvel is a very simple, affordable, and reasonable way to build your own boat.

It requires a few hand tools instead of just a jigsaw and sander that's true, but there is nothing difficult or special about the tools either.

Dannybb55
11-24-2014, 05:33 PM
Plus you get to keep the hand tools. A plank just needs a Skil saw, a try square, a paint stick, a jack and a low angle block plane to get the fit. Clamps, screws, a drill, bits, and bedding to install. A scrub plane and a 12 inch speed square are nice for difficult planks. With those few tools I can hang a hundred feet of planks a day, fifty feet of garboards, and 30+/- of shaft log planks in a twin screwed hull. Double planked is just as fast, but uses a couple of tubes of 5200 and a can of Dolfinite per 20 feet. We have a 1913 yacht coming in next month. She needs lots of work and she has a COI. you guys want pictures cause the owners want publicity? This Launch makes good money for the owner.