PDA

View Full Version : A further observation about Cataract Surgery

Shang
08-14-2014, 05:54 PM
I'm about 24 hours out from cataract surgery on eye number one, things are looking bright since my eyes are still somewhat dilated, but I could probably cross the street without getting run over. Also the halos around lights have pretty much gone away.

An interesting observation: One eye has the new lens, the other has the care-worn natural lens that has served me for three-quarters of a century. When I cover one eye, and then the other, the scene presents acceptable color through the artificial lens. However, the meat lens provides an image with an obvious yellow cast, and it has more halo around lights.

I think we have an explanation for the artwork of Van Gogh:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6bD2s_ymkVu0Jf-EQ-ZwOfD8sT08gcYZBObe2fsclPmYg-vgZ

Osborne Russell
08-14-2014, 06:07 PM
Give it careful thought before you start in on the ears.;)

George Jung
08-14-2014, 06:37 PM
Haha!

While unsure about the 'van Gogh' observation, I can tell you that cataracts is the explanation for the color changes, and 'sharpness', of Monets later paintings.

http://archopht.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=418859

http://www.cmonetgallery.com/cataracts.aspx

Shang
08-14-2014, 06:40 PM
Give it careful thought before you start in on the ears.;)

"The leg, Vincent, she really liked the leg!"

Dannybb55
08-14-2014, 06:58 PM
When I had mine done, the doc wanted to know if I wanted to be conscious ?!?!#=???

Dannybb55
08-14-2014, 06:59 PM
When I had mine done, the doc wanted to know if I wanted to be conscious ?!?!#=??? During the surgery.

Shang
08-14-2014, 08:16 PM
Yes, the guys are right, the Happy Juice is so good that you don't have to be up and about while you're in the mill. And the light show is worth the money.
We're all saying for the new guys, "Piece of cake! and worth the dough!"

Oh wow! I just noticed that at computer-range the new eye is better than the old one was.
I had no such option. I was told I had to be conscious...but the drugs were so good, I didn't mind.

George Jung
08-14-2014, 08:40 PM
Easiest medical procedure I've ever had - 'easier' than having a dental cleaning. The clarity - and vision correction - is amazing. FWIW - about 50% of folks need a yag laser, to 'clean up' the new lense, post recovery. A film can form, mess up that nice, sharp vision. And they charge a lot for that! As I recall, around $700/eye. It's a 30 second, non-invasive 'procedure', too. There oughta be a law!

CWSmith
08-14-2014, 08:46 PM
As I recall, around $700/eye. It's a 30 second, non-invasive 'procedure', too. There oughta be a law!

Could part of that reflect the skill and talent of the surgeon, the prep, the insurance, cleaning the room for the next patient, maintaining the high-tech equipment, etc.?

30 sec with a good surgeon is worth more than an hour with the Roto-Rooter man.

Shang
08-15-2014, 02:40 PM
I'm coming to realize that those clouds of gnats I've been seeing, aren't real. They don't show up when I'm using the bionic eye.

George Jung
08-15-2014, 09:56 PM
Could part of that reflect the skill and talent of the surgeon, the prep, the insurance, cleaning the room for the next patient, maintaining the high-tech equipment, etc.?

30 sec with a good surgeon is worth more than an hour with the Roto-Rooter man.

No. It's not necessarily done by a surgeon; it's not done in an operating suite; there is no prep; insurance doesn't cover it; it's an office procedure; and they charge that..... because they can.