PDA

View Full Version : I pad storage

Paul Girouard
08-13-2014, 10:38 PM
Mines telling me I've used all my storage space that I need to delete some data.

I assume data is photo's ?

It says I have

2.7 GB in Photo's

1.0 GB in email

104 MB in Face book

So is a GB is larger than a MB right ?

For "free" I get 5.0 GB , I can buy more storage for $20.00 a year I can get 15 GB, but I'd rather not buy more storage if I can get rid of things like photo's , IF they are what's taking up my storage space.

Is there a way to down load directly , not email to my mail top five at a time, I've deleted over 1000 photo's in the past few days , and have taken the photo storage down from 3.4 , at least when I noted how much storage the photo's used to , 2.7GB that I'm at now.

So what's the best way to cut "storage , or Data" down?

The Bigfella
08-13-2014, 10:41 PM
Have you emptied the rubbish bin?

Breakaway
08-13-2014, 10:49 PM
Paul

use a file sharing service like Hightail, Dropbox or YouSendit. These offer free trials. These allow you to transfer large files/ lots of data all at once.

Kevin

purri
08-13-2014, 10:51 PM
disc de-frag?

Paul Girouard
08-13-2014, 10:57 PM
Have you emptied the rubbish bin?

Is there a rubbish bin on /in a I pad?

Paul Girouard
08-13-2014, 10:58 PM
Paul

use a file sharing service like Hightail, Dropbox or YouSendit. These offer free trials. These allow you to transfer large files/ lots of data all at once.

Kevin

So is it the pictures that are eating the space?

Breakaway
08-13-2014, 11:07 PM
Well, yeah. They take up space. As you wrote. 2.7 gigabytes worth.

Kevin

Paul Girouard
08-13-2014, 11:23 PM
Well, yeah. They take up space. As you wrote. 2.7 gigabytes worth.

Kevin

It's down to 1.7 now , email @ 1.0 Face book at 111MB. It still says I need space, is GB bigger than MB? Maybe I should dump the FB app?

The Bigfella
08-13-2014, 11:25 PM
Heh heh, you have to love internet advice eh?

Disk defrag? Um, no. No disk.

Rubbish bin on an iPad.... hell, I dunno, but it would be worth looking to see.

I take it from the OP, that the space in question isn't actually on the iPad.... its some sort of Cloud storage. You have several main options:

- buy more cloud storage - which you don't want to do

- sign up for another (or more) other cloud storage options (as mentioned, including dropbox)

- free up some space

- buy some internal storage (depending on your iPad.... may not be possible, but on my Tab, I have a mini storage card in there which can take a lot of data)

The Bigfella
08-13-2014, 11:27 PM
Yes a GB is a LOT bigger than a MB.

kB
kilobyte (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilobyte)

MB
megabyte (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megabyte)

GB
gigabyte

TB
terabyte (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terabyte)

The Bigfella
08-13-2014, 11:28 PM
Your best option, Paul, is to hand it to the nearest 15-35 year old and say "fix this please"

bobbys
08-13-2014, 11:36 PM
Your best option, Paul, is to hand it to the nearest 15-35 year old and say "fix this please"

that's what I do.

Paul Girouard
08-14-2014, 12:15 AM
Thanks.

I cleared the cookies , deleted down to 1.7 GB photos, 999 MB email , all other 5 things are in MB stage , one item is KB stage.

It still says I need more storage , maybe it will update tonight and every thing will be good for awhile.

I attempted to look into storage sites , but the drop box one wouldn't load , I waited maybe 3 to 5 minutes and it was still attempting to load , so I bailed out.

willmarsh3
08-14-2014, 04:16 AM
No rubbish bin on the ipad.

I'm a little leery of cloud storage. I haven't quite decided how I want to use it. I back the ipad to the computer. Then I back that up to two external hard drives. I keep only the pictures I want to show on the ipad.

Some apps are real memory hogs. They take a ridiculous amount of memory just for the app. Facebook is one of them. You could just open the facebook website in Safari and dump that app.

epoxyboy
08-14-2014, 05:23 AM
There is no option to plug in an SD card to get more space, at least not on my old iPad (2?). Coz Apple knows best - why would you want to keep your data to yourself??? Just put it on the cloud, where we promise to take very good care of it
By the way, does anyone know how to get rid of the incessant nag screen to log into iCloud, every time I turn this damn thing on? It went away for a while for no apparent reason, but after several months has made an unwelcome reappearance.

Pete

The Bigfella
08-14-2014, 05:37 AM
There is no option to plug in an SD card to get more space, at least not on my old iPad (2?). Coz Apple knows best - why would you want to keep your data to yourself??? Just put it on the cloud, where we promise to take very good care of it
By the way, does anyone know how to get rid of the incessant nag screen to log into iCloud, every time I turn this damn thing on? It went away for a while for no apparent reason, but after several months has made an unwelcome reappearance.

Pete

Sheesh. I like my Samsung even more now.

I recently dumped the iPhone and went to the Samsung S5 phone too. I like it... and I like its water resistance attributes (having lost a $1k phone that way once)

purri
08-14-2014, 06:13 AM
Yes. Cloud storage is fraught. External HD plus alternative TB devices and smaller recording units minimise loss of data, Mind you all storage units have a finite life.

No rubbish bin on the ipad.

I'm a little leery of cloud storage. I haven't quite decided how I want to use it. I back the ipad to the computer. Then I back that up to two external hard drives. I keep only the pictures I want to show on the ipad.

Some apps are real memory hogs. They take a ridiculous amount of memory just for the app. Facebook is one of them. You could just open the facebook website in Safari and dump that app.

Tom Montgomery
08-14-2014, 07:55 AM
1 Gigabyte of stored emails?

REALLY???

Paul Girouard
08-14-2014, 08:32 AM

REALLY???

I have 110 in my work email , they have info that I need to keep until the jobs are closed out.So of those have PDF file in them with window list and job spread sheets, etc.

I didn't think that was that many , but maybe because they have the stored files in them they are space grabbers?

Canoeyawl
08-14-2014, 09:29 AM

REALLY???

I have that problem with a couple of employees at work, training them to store mail locally in folders was interesting, plus they use Gmail, which is awkward to delete mail. (I think they like to keep it so,they can sell more storage)

willmarsh3
08-14-2014, 09:32 AM

REALLY???

He's only getting started. I have 8 Gb of gmail (9 years) and 12 GB of work email (13 years). I just never delete emails. The search feature in Google is pretty good and Outlook 2010's is not bad either. Why I do this is a whole different story.

Paul Girouard
08-14-2014, 09:40 AM
I have that problem with a couple of employees at work, training them to store mail locally in folders was interesting, plus they use Gmail, which is awkward to delete mail. (I think they like to keep it so,they can sell more storage)

I don't use G mail , and "training them to store mail locally in folders" WTF does that mean , or how do you do it? I may well be doing it , but if I am , I'm not connecting the dots to your sentence.

One thing about computers I've learned is that what some people think is "intuitive" / common knowledge / every body does it, really isn't any of those things.

The I Pad does "group" emails that it deems are common , and it's pretty good at that , keeping a group of responses / back and forth , but once i awhile it will store one in the most off the path way , you need to search high and low , into your sent items , who knows where to find the one email you KNOW the info you seeking is in.

I hoped with all the photo's I delete it would have "back up" last night and told me it was happy , but it still says I need more storage.

Bubba L.
08-14-2014, 09:50 AM
Put it in a cool, dry, place.

Gene

JBreeze
08-14-2014, 10:31 AM
Here's some info. from the internet:

http://www.imore.com/how-free-icloud-storage-space-cleaning-unused-documents-and-data

Sorry I can't help more as I don't have any apple products at home.

PS read the comments at the very end of the article - one has something about turning the device off and on to clear the memory......