PDA

View Full Version : Dungeness crab bait question

ron ll
08-11-2014, 01:35 PM
When we are cruising for a couple of weeks, refrigerator and cooler space is at a premium. And when really short, my fresh crab bait (chicken parts, fish parts, horse clams) is the first to go. So has anyone in the PNW had any luck with any kind of non-perishable bait for Dungies? Canned cat food, canned tuna, I dunno, dried meat, anything?

hokiefan
08-11-2014, 01:43 PM
Catch a fish. Fillet it and eat the good stuff. The rest is crab bait.

Cheers,

Bobby

Sky Blue
08-11-2014, 01:44 PM
Canned cat food is effective; take an opener and punch two sides, lash the can to the trap, and have at it.

David G
08-11-2014, 01:52 PM
I have, in a pinch, used canned cat food for both crawdads and crab. Seemed to work ok. I remember that the friends who showed me that trick said they preferred the cheap junk - and not just for the savings.

Hugh Conway
08-11-2014, 02:34 PM
perished and rotting worked better. they especially liked foul chicken remains.

ron ll
08-11-2014, 03:01 PM
Dan, are they molting already? Where were you?

bummer about losing a pot. The only pot I have room for is the circular folding pot and it's so damn expensive I don't want to let it out of my sight(s).

ron ll
08-11-2014, 03:04 PM
perished and rotting worked better. they especially liked foul chicken remains.

Yes I agree. But no place to keep it for two weeks that doesn't stink up the boat. :) I've even tried double freezer bags but it still gets pretty ugly.

woodpile
08-11-2014, 03:31 PM
Catch a fish. Fillet it and eat the good stuff. The rest is crab bait.

Cheers,

Bobby

Absolutely, there is no reason to buy canned crab bait, if there's no dead fish, chicken wings, necks or whatever parts are cheapest. This post is above the "bilge" level.

Saxe Point
08-11-2014, 03:37 PM
I've never used anything except fish parts, usually salmon heads which work great, are easy to handle, and last a long time.

ron ll
08-11-2014, 04:00 PM
As I tried to imply in my original post, if I can I use chicken, salmon, or horse clams. The question is what to use when those aren't available, for whatever reason.

i should add that the "Whatever reason" is usually when we are cruising all available refrig and cooler space seems to be spoken for. I'm lucky to find space for my martini olives. Crab bait is out of the question. :)

BrianW
08-11-2014, 05:26 PM
I'm lucky to find space for my martini olives. Crab bait is out of the question. :)

Naturally. ;)

We use a commercial shrimp/crab bait which is more like dried dog food.

http://www.aceofbaits.com/

TomF
08-11-2014, 05:29 PM
We used to use fish heads, or smashed mussels. Figured that if there wasn't "bait" around, there might not be crabs either.

best location for crabs I found was the outfall from a salmon cannery.

paulf
08-11-2014, 05:53 PM
Fish and crab gills is the best bait I've found, and using rings instead of traps works well. You have to tend them tho.