PDA

View Full Version : No, You Are Not Entitled To Your Opinion.

seanz
08-07-2014, 07:43 PM
Well, that settles that then.

http://theconversation.com/no-youre-not-entitled-to-your-opinion-9978

CWSmith
08-07-2014, 07:53 PM
I've worked in mathematics and physics my entire adult life and studied them in my youth. No one ever said that to me. We knew it from the beginning. That's why I go ape-shot every time I see that attitude in the bilge.

Glen Longino
08-07-2014, 07:58 PM
I have no opinion on the subject, but I can tell you positively that.....;)

CWSmith
08-07-2014, 08:19 PM
Silliest thing I've ever seen. You are only obligated to support your opinion if you wish to convince someone else to consider or adopt it.

That's not the way you solve problems. You owe it to yourself to test you opinions with logic and evidence.

jack grebe
08-07-2014, 08:26 PM
Well that certainly kicked a few a$$es down hear

Glen Longino
08-07-2014, 08:35 PM
Well that certainly kicked a few a$$es down hear

Down were?

David G
08-07-2014, 09:03 PM
If you have, and they passed muster, that debt has been paid.

If you haven't, but are not attempting to convince someone else of their veracity, there's no need.

Technically true, if - as the man says - trivial. But it begs the question of what you owe to yourself by way of maintaining your self esteem thru being well informed and clear headed.

CWSmith
08-07-2014, 10:26 PM
Wow! A Republican writes a book called "Living a Purposeful Life" and the minions give it to all their Democratic friends.

Someone suggests opinions should be based on fact and consideration and the conservatives rebel.

You know, this is what the Democrats have been saying about Republicans for a very long time - they are just tools.

Captain Intrepid
08-07-2014, 11:25 PM
I've worked in mathematics and physics my entire adult life and studied them in my youth. No one ever said that to me. We knew it from the beginning. That's why I go ape-shot every time I see that attitude in the bilge.

My favourite is when I'm told that I should keep my mouth shut cause I'm not an American. HA!

Peerie Maa
08-08-2014, 02:34 AM
If you have, and they passed muster, that debt has been paid.If you haven't, but are not attempting to convince someone else of their veracity, there's no need.So. Why are you here?

PeterSibley
08-08-2014, 04:02 AM
More David G babble. It seems to be endless, and endlessly meaningless.

As respectful as ever. ;)

skuthorp
08-08-2014, 04:28 AM
Way back when I was at school they taught a subject called Clear Thinking. A junior form of Philosophy if you will. These days a proper philosophy course is being taught to some 14 year olds in Victoria and the aim is to start at year 6.
I like the idea of having to argue your point of view using facts, not opinion.
Of course there are facts, and then there are facts, which compounds the problem.