Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Smith
    • Mar 2009

Immigration reform; a sane approach

First I don't think congress is capable of doing anything in a comprehensive way, and Henry Ford made sense when he said that big jobs need to be broken down into small parts. I'd like to see immigration reform broken down into small parts.

I'd like to see the first issue debated as the singular issue of children who came here with their parents. If a child is riding in the back seat of his parents car and his parents get pulled over and arrested for having robbed a bank or killed someone, we don't arrest the child. That's because we don't hold the child responsible for the crimes of the parent.

Why is this different if the parents' crime was illegally crossing a border. I'd like my friends on the right to consider what they would do with one who came here as a young child with his parents and has lived here all his life, knowing only this country.

We have technologies today we didn't used to have. It is possible, if we want to spend the money, to make our southern border cross proof. We can debate how we want to secure the border, if we will do so in a serious manner and are willing to adequately fund whatever method is decided upon.

Back to my analogy. If we put mom and dad in prison for their crime, they will be separated from their child. If we put them in prison or deport them for illegally coming across the border, but allow the child to stay, they will be separated from the child.

Families with members who are caught committing crimes get separated from one another.

All of this is supposed to be stuff congress works on. My view is the first bill they need to pass is one that makes the small children who came here with their parents and have been here for some time instant citizens. How much time can be discussed as part of the bill. My view is a 10 year old who came here at age 5 and has gone to school here should be able to feel this is his home.

So, question number one: What do we do with those who came here as young children and only know this as home? Let's address, for now, that singular issue.

Once we get the border as secure as technology allows, there ought not be any more kids in this category.
    "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book
Working...