PDA

View Full Version : Disappointment

CapnJ2ds
08-06-2014, 11:10 PM
Naturally, I don't expect every single issue of WB to be as good as every other one. Of course some issues contain articles that are of more interest to me than some other issues. The July issue, when it finally reached these shores however, was a great disappointment.

I had been eagerly awaiting the article on Johan Anker, whose beautiful designs are legendary, but where were those designs? The only slight nod in that direction was tne photo of a part of a design, and a secondary article showing the lines of the 8m Varg. There was no hint either that this was just the first of two (or a series of) articles.

This is WoodenBoat, not Womens' Weekly, for goodness sake! :arg While the upbringing, personal life, financial adventures, sexual preferences, foibles and strengths of yacht designers may have their bearing on the work of yacht designers, the reason said designers are featured in this
magazine is because of the designs they produced.

So, where were those legendary designs?

Gray-Sea
08-08-2014, 11:19 AM
July was the second issue I ever purchased. If that's a disappointment, I'm in for a real treat in the future! Every page turn was filled with awe and excitement for me, but I'm new to this whole obsession.

sailnstink
08-08-2014, 12:55 PM
Haven't seen the July issue but you have to cut them some slack, their readers go from PDR builders to whoever those people are that are able to run those 100' 100 year old racing yachts. And pretty pictures, lots of pretty pictures. They do a good job serving everybody.

CapnJ2ds
08-10-2014, 07:37 AM
Welcome aboard Grey-Sea |:).
Just to clear things up, it wasn't the whole issue I was grizzling about, just the article on Johan Anker, which I had really been looking forward to. I agree that WB does a pretty good job by and large. In the case of the Anker piece, however, not so. Anker designs are renowned for their beauty, indeed one of our fellow forumites describes himself as "a disciple of Johan Anker, the Norse god of beautiful yachts". "Pretty pictures", however profuse, are no substitute for lines plans in this case.

rbgarr
08-17-2014, 04:46 PM
Lines plans aren't always available for reproduction, or the reprint permit cost may be too high.