PDA

View Full Version : Boat lumber thread?

Bradley Stemen
01-16-2006, 06:49 PM
I am just beginning to look for a local source for green/air dried white oak and am wondering if there has been a thread established for wood sources? I don't even know if this can be done, being the low-tech, stone age (or is it wood age?) cave man that I am. A truly handy thing it would be for new builders and those who have moved to a new local.

Thanks, Brad

Bradley Stemen
I am just beginning to look for a local source for green/air dried white oak and am wondering if there has been a thread established for wood sources? I don't even know if this can be done, being the low-tech, stone age (or is it wood age?) cave man that I am. A truly handy thing it would be for new builders and those who have moved to a new local.

Thanks, Brad

Bradley Stemen

Thanks, Brad

Alan D. Hyde
01-16-2006, 07:16 PM
Talk to a local guy with a WoodMizer or similar portable rig...

Some are listed here---

www.woodmizer.com (http://www.woodmizer.com)

Alan

Alan D. Hyde

Some are listed here---

Alan

Alan D. Hyde

Some are listed here---

Alan

Bruce Hooke
01-16-2006, 07:18 PM
Brad,

The key is that to get green or air-dried wood you generally need to go to local sawmills and the like, which means one general thread is not much good. I could tell you about a good sawmill in Rhode Island but it wouldn't do you any good unless you plan to drive out here to get your wood.

For kiln dried wood, the Wood Finder website (http://www.wdfinder.com) can be helpful.

In addition to local fixed-location sawmills, the guys with the mobile rigs (e.g., Woodmizer) are another good source. These people can often be found by contacting the dealers who sell the sawmills.

Edited to add -- Alan posted while I was writing, but I will leave my comments about Woodmizer as a second to what he said.

[ 01-16-2006, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: Bruce Hooke ]

Bruce Hooke
Brad,

The key is that to get green or air-dried wood you generally need to go to local sawmills and the like, which means one general thread is not much good. I could tell you about a good sawmill in Rhode Island but it wouldn't do you any good unless you plan to drive out here to get your wood.

For kiln dried wood, the Wood Finder website (http://www.wdfinder.com) can be helpful.

In addition to local fixed-location sawmills, the guys with the mobile rigs (e.g., Woodmizer) are another good source. These people can often be found by contacting the dealers who sell the sawmills.

Edited to add -- Alan posted while I was writing, but I will leave my comments about Woodmizer as a second to what he said.

Bruce Hooke
Brad,

Bradley Stemen
01-17-2006, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the replies, I do plan to hit the local mills, living in the heart of Amish country I know I'll come across what I need. Bruce, while your posting of a good source or two wouldn't be of any help to me, it would be of interest to someone in your area. That is why I wondered about a thread, maybe with sources listed by state or region? This posting could be a start.
Brad

Bradley Stemen
Thanks for the replies, I do plan to hit the local mills, living in the heart of Amish country I know I'll come across what I need. Bruce, while your posting of a good source or two wouldn't be of any help to me, it would be of interest to someone in your area. That is why I wondered about a thread, maybe with sources listed by state or region? This posting could be a start.
Brad

Bradley Stemen
Brad

gary porter
01-17-2006, 05:54 PM
Brad, if you don't find it closer to you, theres a sawyer in Seymour Indiana named Gary Darlage who can get you what you want. You can probably just drive there to get it as well.
Gary

gary porter
Brad, if you don't find it closer to you, theres a sawyer in Seymour Indiana named Gary Darlage who can get you what you want. You can probably just drive there to get it as well.
Gary

gary porter
Gary

Cuyahoga Chuck
01-17-2006, 07:33 PM
When you live in Buckeyeland you don't need to go far for hardwood.
How about:
http://www.yoderlumber.com/
It's in another Amish area near Berlin, Ohio.

Charlie

Cuyahoga Chuck
How about:

Charlie

Cuyahoga Chuck
How about:

Charlie

kc8pql
01-17-2006, 07:44 PM
Chuck's right. Holmes County Ohio is full of Amish sawmills that will cut anything you want.

kc8pql
Chuck's right. Holmes County Ohio is full of Amish sawmills that will cut anything you want.

kc8pql

Bradley Stemen
01-18-2006, 06:09 PM
Again, thanks for the replies. I am familiar with the whole process of finding boat wood, been building boats on and off since 1984. I guess I'm not being clear on what I am asking, but I seem to have gotten the answer all the same. I was asking if there exists a thread for boat lumber as I am just begining (again, moved a few times) to look, and I know the phone calls, chasing around, frustration at with driving 70 odd miles one way in a rented truck to find out the sawyer didn't understand you per your phone conversation and doesn't have anything close to what you can use. What I am getting at is just what Chuck and Gary did, posting sources they have used or know of.
As I mentioned in an earlier reply, a listed source in Conneticut would be of no real use to me, but a newbie builder in the state or one who is new to Conneticut would definitely benefit. Those posted sawyers and yards that serve an occassional builder, handle some boat lumber or do custom milling would potentially recieve more business for boat lumber and maybe pull good building stock aside for their "new" market, or call a boat customer or two when a fine log shows up, one that would go to pallets otherwise (as so much good White Oak in NE Ohio does).
I am a low-tech, computor unfriendly user, but I'd be willing to pull posts together to list sources by state, region and country. Websites, names, addresses, phone numbers, and basic info of the sources would be needed (as much as is available) and posted here or sent to my e-mail. I believe there is a need for a local source list for us. Give us more time to be building or out on the water.
Brad

Bradley Stemen
Again, thanks for the replies. I am familiar with the whole process of finding boat wood, been building boats on and off since 1984. I guess I'm not being clear on what I am asking, but I seem to have gotten the answer all the same. I was asking if there exists a thread for boat lumber as I am just begining (again, moved a few times) to look, and I know the phone calls, chasing around, frustration at with driving 70 odd miles one way in a rented truck to find out the sawyer didn't understand you per your phone conversation and doesn't have anything close to what you can use. What I am getting at is just what Chuck and Gary did, posting sources they have used or know of.
As I mentioned in an earlier reply, a listed source in Conneticut would be of no real use to me, but a newbie builder in the state or one who is new to Conneticut would definitely benefit. Those posted sawyers and yards that serve an occassional builder, handle some boat lumber or do custom milling would potentially recieve more business for boat lumber and maybe pull good building stock aside for their "new" market, or call a boat customer or two when a fine log shows up, one that would go to pallets otherwise (as so much good White Oak in NE Ohio does).
I am a low-tech, computor unfriendly user, but I'd be willing to pull posts together to list sources by state, region and country. Websites, names, addresses, phone numbers, and basic info of the sources would be needed (as much as is available) and posted here or sent to my e-mail. I believe there is a need for a local source list for us. Give us more time to be building or out on the water.
Brad

Bradley Stemen
Brad