PDA

View Full Version : Victoria Yacht Club

Paul Pless
08-04-2014, 08:20 AM
One of the boats in this pic, Dorothy, is Canada's oldest sailboat still sailing. . .

http://dorothysails.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/victoria-yacht-club-dorothy-moored-in-front-a-century-of-sailing.jpg?w=1000&h=

skuthorp
08-04-2014, 08:24 AM
That boat left foreground. There's one almost exactly like that just along the coast from us.

TR
08-04-2014, 10:59 AM
Dorothy is the 30' sloop, middle right, with two portlights in her cabin side. To correct Paul, she is not now sailing, and hasn't for a number of years. She is in Tony Grove's shop about a mile up the road, undergoing a very slow rebuild funded by the Maritime Museum of BC in Victoria. Dorothy is considered by some to be B.C.'s, and perhaps Canada's, oldest existent yacht. She was built in Victoria by JJ Robinson, launched in 1892, and reportedly to a Linton Hope design.

http://www.tonygrove.com/boatbuilding/dorothy.php

pcford
08-04-2014, 12:26 PM
Wonderful shot. I think I see the Customs House in the background....still exists...In the foreground are apparently houseboats...likely liveries.

Nanoose
08-04-2014, 01:48 PM
Fantastic. Love the community's ability to bring the info up to date.
The Customs House, empty and for sale for ages, has recently been purchased and is being redone. One of my favourite buildings in town.

pcford
08-05-2014, 02:29 AM
Fantastic. Love the community's ability to bring the info up to date.
The Customs House, empty and for sale for ages, has recently been purchased and is being redone. One of my favourite buildings in town.
Thanks...I do like your town...The site of the best boat show on the West coast. The other interesting building is the one with two turrets just to the right...since it has a ramp into the water, I presume it is a livery boathouse. At the turn of the last century rowing was enjoyed by the public and this type of boathouse was built for boat liveries. Typically they were designed with a bit of imagination...there was one on Portage Bay until recent years...the Lawrence Boathouse. The original building at the Center for Wooden Boats was supposed to mimic this kind of meringuey flight of fancy, but unfortunately the design was earth-bound and ponderous.

I have some connections with the maritime museum in Victoria...and I have been invited to go with a friend to visit it in the near future. I will take this image along and see if they can identify it further.

Nanoose
08-05-2014, 12:38 PM
...The site of the best boat show on the West coast.

Wow. High praise indeed, considering those I have heard of.

pcford
08-05-2014, 01:37 PM
Wow. High praise indeed, considering those I have heard of.

I am hardly unique...the Victoria show is for boat owners and those that appreciate traditional boats. Other boat shows are a "festival" and as I like to say great if you need to see loads of tourists and prancing hippies. Just ask DavidG.

You know, it occurs to me that the boathouse I was admiring above is the Victoria Yacht Club. Do you know?

Osborne Russell
08-05-2014, 02:27 PM
The Victorian Age, its mores and aesthetics . . . bustles for women, overhangs for boats. Coincidence?

Lew Barrett
08-06-2014, 12:02 AM
Thanks...I do like your town...The site of the best boat show on the West coast.

Hear, hear! That show is/was by far the best of the west coast events for participants, and draws more interested and interesting people to the docks of this great destination (For the 'nooses; to you it is the city you live in. To us it is the most fun destination of any event in the region). I love the sea stories, the gatherings, the camaraderie and the international flavor of Victoria and that show. Really fun to attend, and what a bargain. It's also really a gift to the visitors to and residents of the city. It's amazing how many people get to see, touch and board boats they never dreamed existed and to hear the excitement in twenty different languages. Always a warm and delightful event.

Just for some balance, getting out of Victoria on a snotty Tuesday morning when all the flags and pennants have been taken down, the party's over and it's blowing 35 knots in the Strait just plain sucks!

Lew Barrett
08-06-2014, 12:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ylBcoAD1oI#t=47

Tony Grove is a sweetheart of a guy. He also paints boats, usually small boats, and by paints I mean makes pictures of. Tony has been a judge at the show over the years. A lot of people, competent, talented or just famous in our little world have been. Over the years your boat might have been judged by Ted Brewer, Bent Jespersen, or maybe one of the Gardner's sons, looking over your engine room. Maybe you'd even see TR there, though I never have!

I met the Nooses there though!

This photo is not of them, it's Don Kurylko and his wife, 2006 or '07, I think.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff76/LewBarrett/friends.jpg

pcford
08-06-2014, 12:59 AM
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff76/LewBarrett/friends.jpg

Capt'n Lew holding court.
Boat shows aren't the same without you!

wizbang 13
08-06-2014, 08:42 AM
....and all those other easy to repair carvel boats are long gone.

Lew Barrett
08-06-2014, 12:20 PM
Capt'n Lew holding court.
Boat shows aren't the same without you!

Life is different without the boat shows as well. The nice thing about Victoria is that you can always find a berth there, but it's not the same as going in your own boat. It's OK. Change is good.