PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Office

Rum_Pirate
07-30-2014, 09:40 PM
Microsoft has switched to a subscription basis in order to gouge you more.

Also you used to be able to put the programs on several computers. Not now.

Will this make them even more unpopular?

KMacDonald
07-30-2014, 09:42 PM

Yes

Keith Wilson
07-30-2014, 10:02 PM
Open Office. (https://www.openoffice.org/) It works.

The Bigfella
07-30-2014, 10:45 PM
Its a tool. If it works and its worth it to you, pay for it.

You could always go back to writing a memo out longhand and giving it to the stenographer to type out for you.... then make corrections, have it typed again.... and spend a day doing it.

Keith Wilson
07-31-2014, 09:18 AM
Oh, I don't use Open Office at work. For better or worse, it's Microsoft all the way; one has to work with everybody else. For home use, it's fine.

John Smith
07-31-2014, 09:24 AM
Microsoft has switched to a subscription basis in order to gouge you more.

Also you used to be able to put the programs on several computers. Not now.

Capitalism at work. You should be applauding.

hokiefan
07-31-2014, 09:45 AM
OK, on that basis, I agree... although if you buy the $99 license for work, it permits up to five computers, so unless your company is so cheap that it insists on using all five, you could still install it at home.

I would agree that, if you're exclusive and NOT working on stuff that has be shared with co-workers, clients, customers, or vendors, Open Office is perfectly fine... and free.

I use Microsoft Office at work because that is what the company put on the PC they provide me. I use OpenOffice at home and it plays quite nicely with some of those very same files. There are very minor differences in terms of how you get to certain features, but I've never had any issue with documents that I have worked on with both systems. OpenOffice will make perfectly compatible MSOffice files.

Cheers,

Bobby

KMacDonald
07-31-2014, 10:07 AM
Yeah, but....

Isn't it true that when you go to 'save' a document that you created in Open Office, it defaults to file type '.ods', unless you say 'save as...', and specify one of multiple Microsoft file versions? That is a ripping pain in the ass.

I bet you could set that as your preference. Or maybe a registry edit.

peb
07-31-2014, 10:08 AM
I agree with Norman. For my family, the subscription service is great. less than 10 bucks a month for the kids at home, myself, and my wife. On top of that, it comes with 25G of cloud storage, which I have used half of it putting up 13 years worth of family photos, and all of my grown kids have access to them at anytime.

Yea, it used to be I could buy the home and school version for 175 and use it on 3 computers (maybe it was 4), but it was always one too few. But it was good for a few years.

I will take the trade off. Office is the single most important software one uses on a computer. I spend so much for internet/TV service, cell phone service. I am not going to complain about 10/month for Office.

Rum_Pirate
07-31-2014, 10:10 AM
OK, on that basis, I agree... although if you buy the $99 license for work, it permits up to five computers, so unless your company is so cheap that it insists on using all five, you could still install it at home.

I would agree that, if you're exclusive and NOT working on stuff that has be shared with co-workers, clients, customers, or vendors, Open Office is perfectly fine... and free.

Considering that the family (4) each have their own laptop and I also have a desktop at home (plus there is an iPad and an iPod) it would seem that I have to go the $99.00 way.

There is the option to buy a single computer usage at $139.00 or family 9.99/month (119.88/year) or $99.00 per year.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/buy

Anyone wanna bet that the annual fee goes up in 2105?

Mind you I have no need for

Outlook emails, calendars
and tasks

and note that mac users (me) don't get

Access and Publisher for PCs
only

Canoez
07-31-2014, 10:17 AM
I use Solidworks both at work and at home. Unfortunately, Microsoft Office (at least Word and Excel) are integral parts of running Solidworks. It's a must-have.

Vince Brennan
07-31-2014, 10:34 AM
O.O. is (IMO) a true PITA as it takes a loooog time to open in WIN7, WIN8 or XP. I don't muh mind the reset to .XLS or .DOC(X) with each save of an O>O> document, it's the time it takes to open the program that bugs me.

A yearly fee? I pay more than that for a monthly parking area.

Hey, Rummy? No guitar.

peb
07-31-2014, 10:35 AM
Considering that the family (4) each have their own laptop and I also have a desktop at home (plus there is an iPad and an iPod) it would seem that I have to go the $99.00 way.

There is the option to buy a single computer usage at $139.00 or family 9.99/month (119.88/year) or $99.00 per year.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/buy

Anyone wanna bet that the annual fee goes up in 2105?

Mind you I have no need for

Outlook emails, calendars
and tasks

and note that mac users (me) don't get

Access and Publisher for PCs
only

I believe my subscription just renewed for the second time, it is still the same 10/month

hokiefan
07-31-2014, 12:13 PM
Yeah, but....

Isn't it true that when you go to 'save' a document that you created in Open Office, it defaults to file type '.ods', unless you say 'save as...', and specify one of multiple Microsoft file versions? That is a ripping pain in the ass.

You have to pick a file type when you create a file. If you work on an existing file it asks you if you want to keep the existing format or change to the OpenOffice format. Its built into the "do you want to save your changes" dialogue box, no extra work, no PITA.

Cheers,

Bobby

hokiefan
07-31-2014, 12:23 PM
THAT is the PITA... two steps I DON'T have to do, with Microsoft Office.

Its one extra step, because the second is answered instead of "do you want to save your changes?" which you have to answer anyway. And since I'm almost always working on something I started at work I seldom have to do the first step either. So I have to choose a file type for 1-2 files a month... You are easily annoyed if that really qualifies as a PITA. :d

Cheers,

Bobby

Osborne Russell
07-31-2014, 01:39 PM
Down with Microsoft.

Rum_Pirate
07-31-2014, 01:49 PM
Down with Microsoft.

Shall we grab the pitchforks now, or wait until the tar is boiling and the feathers are plucked? :ycool:

epoxyboy
07-31-2014, 01:55 PM
Open Office. (https://www.openoffice.org/) It works.
As long as you aren't trying to open anything done in Word 2007. In which case, all the formatting and tables you slaved over will be blown to smithereens all over the page. Which is why we tried it, and then gave up. That was a few years ago, maybe it is better now.

Pete

Keith Wilson
07-31-2014, 02:11 PM
Eeeew! I haven't tried that.

willmarsh3
07-31-2014, 02:45 PM
If you don't like Open Office and don't like paying the subscription then an another alternative may be to run a remote desktop console to your computer at work.

John Meachen
07-31-2014, 02:49 PM
I have an old copy of Microsoft Office on the one elderly laptop that I still have Windows on.For other use I have Libre Office,which is a fork of Open Office and which copes with any files I have received from associates in almost any Microsoft format.Being a touch cynical I have to wonder whether the Microsoft deal is likely to ever reduce in price or.....

It seems to be an increasingly common business model as Adobe and Autocad have moved in the same direction.If you buy in to a proprietary file format system you may find yourself locked in with no way out.I know that a few years ago the European commission looked at using Open Document Format standards to avoid this situation as any company is free to develop software that conforms.Maybe as taxpayers we should be asking our elected representatives and their unelected colleagues how much governments are spending on software licences and why they feel it is necessary.

KMacDonald
07-31-2014, 02:59 PM
A lot of companies keep computers 6 or more years and don't upgrade Office. An OEM version was $199.00 So $199/72months=$2.76 a month. Looks like the price more than tripled for a lot of businesses.

Hwyl
07-31-2014, 03:06 PM
You can change the Save Default in Open Office.

Here's the screen in Writer:

http://l.yimg.com/ck/image/A2263/2263928/470_2263928.jpg

A comparable option exists in Spreadsheet and Presentation.

Saving to Microsoft format is therefore a 1-click option, exactly the same as Office.

Thanks