PDA

View Full Version : It is just as well my wife is 8000 miles away!

epoxyboy
07-29-2014, 01:11 PM
I went for a walk from my hotel to the Galleria mall in Houston. Talk about a monument to female consumer spending! I managed to find a small oasis of man clothes, and bought two clean shirts - yes, i am at that point in my trip where it is easier to buy new stuff than bother with laundry.
My taxi driver from the airport yesterday was a real hoot, and very enthusiastic about the prospects for Houston. Its a little hot for my tastes, but all the trees take the edge off the big city thing, until you have to use a pedestrian crossing over an eight lane road for the umpteenth time. The drivers in NewOrleans were very respectful toward pedestrians, but here you have to watch your back, even crossing with the signal. I guess with the heat, the only dumba$$es walking are poor people and tourists.
Time to hit the gym, and make at least a token attempt at working off some of the food I've eaten over the last week or so. If I can raise the energy :cool:.

Pete

Phillip Allen
07-29-2014, 01:13 PM
do you like the smell of oil yet?

epoxyboy
07-29-2014, 01:22 PM
do you like the smell of oil yet?
No, all I can smell is the money. I feel distinctly underdressed every time i walk through the hotel lobby, but I've got too old for fleapits, so they'll just have to get over it.

Phillip Allen
07-29-2014, 01:24 PM
actually I like the smell... I spent a very happy summer in Casper, Wyoming when I was 13... I learned to associate the smell with that happy summer

epoxyboy
07-29-2014, 01:34 PM
Its like the tang of diesel exhaust on a really cold day reminds me of all the good times we had on small ski fields when i was a kid. Some of the places were so small, the rope tow (no ski lifts!!) were powered by an old tractor mounted up on blocks.

Phillip Allen
07-29-2014, 01:35 PM
ah... the good ole days :) (diesel kinda makes me sea sick... thanks to the USN)

Bobby of Tulsa
07-29-2014, 02:09 PM
Any chance you might get down to Galveston Island?

John of Phoenix
07-29-2014, 02:14 PM
I use to land on top of the Galleria to pick up oil execs and fly them offshore for show & tell trips.

How's your trip been so far? Best food, best bar, best hotel, etc. Anything exciting?

epoxyboy
07-29-2014, 02:24 PM
Any chance you might get down to Galveston Island?
No, I am having Franklins BBQ brisket with MoMan tonight, do a six hour tour out to the Johnson Space Centre tomorrow, then start the ass numbingly long journey home on Thursday.
The flight into Houston flew over the eastern end of the peninsula the lines up with Galveston, but the island was lost in the haze. It looked like there might have been some good sailing to be had in there, unless its all tidal. There is a huge amount of housing development going on out that way too, visible from the air

Gerarddm
07-29-2014, 02:35 PM
First time I was in Houston I was boggled to find that the incorporated city is as large as the state of Rhode Island.

( fun factoid: Rhode Island, the smallest state, has the longest official name, The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations ).

epoxyboy
07-29-2014, 02:50 PM
I use to land on top of the Galleria to pick up oil execs and fly them offshore for show & tell trips.

How's your trip been so far? Best food, best bar, best hotel, etc. Anything exciting?

It has been an interesting trip - the whole oil thing has been an entirely new experience for me, and solving the problem for the customer out in the field like that is always a good buzz.
I am really looking forward to the JSC tour tomorrow. For me, the whole Apollo program stands out as the most inspirational things the US has ever done (in my lifetime anyway) on so many levels. I know the Saturn rocket is just a big tin can with overgrown bunsen burners at one end and a sharp point at the other, but I dont care. It is amazing because of what it represents.
I've read all sorts of good things about this Franklins brisket that I'm going to have tonight!
Best bar has to be the Spotted Cat Music Club in New Orleans. It is small, shabby, run down but very laid back and has awesome live music and atmosphere in spades.
From an engineering perspective, the Floatel Victory was the best hotel (as one grizzled old oil dude said, "i aint never been on no rig like this before"), but my current abode, the Hotel Derek, isnt too bad for a tryhard four star place.
The Derek doesn't have six shiny new Wartsilla diesels, but it does have beer. Tough call|;).

These work trips never leave much time for sightseeing, but I do make an effort to get out of the hotel in spite of the jet lag, lack of sleep and so on, but I've found a bit of downtime is important too. The lightning storm rolling in this way is the best show out the hotel window so far.

Pete

CWSmith
07-29-2014, 03:20 PM
I went for a walk from my hotel...

First, I hope your wife does not read the title of this thread.

Second, if you have reached the point of buying clothes rather than doing laundry, the next step is easy. Put your dirty laundry into a plastic trash bag, take it to the nearest mail store, box it and ship it home. It's cheaper than you might think and makes the bag light until you buy more clothes.

epoxyboy
07-29-2014, 03:38 PM
My wife will never look in here, and even if she does, she is well aware of my loathing for clothes shopping:d. The suitcase is already looking under fed. They have a very strict weight limit for flying out to the rigs, quite a bit less than the airlines. And its a small suitcase at that, just one size up from carry on.

David W Pratt
07-31-2014, 11:23 AM
I've had excellent menudo in Houston. Prolly hard to find in NZ

Paul Pless
07-31-2014, 11:28 AM
there are some things that you shouldn't admit to on an open internet forum. . .

http://images4.mtv.com/uri/mgid:file:docroot:vh1.com:/sitewide/flipbooks/img/movies/news_features/boy_bands/menudo201981.jpg?width=284&height=210&enlarge=true&matte=true&matteColor=black&quality=0.85