PDA

View Full Version : Are all bike shops this anal?

jack grebe
07-24-2014, 08:33 PM
My 07 Yamaha Roadliner shut down last weekend in the middle of "ALLIGATOR ALLEY"
If you're not familiar with this place, it is where I75, normally a N/S interstate, runs E/W
for 75 or so miles across south Florida's Everglades...........miles from nowhere.

Bike was towed, at ins. company's expense, to nearest "authorized" repair facility.....

What a F$#kin joke this place/ mechanic/ service writer is.
Took 4 days for a "diag"
writer cannot accurately relay mechanics findings.
mechanic (if that's want you want to call him) can't
tell me how the part he, wants to change, is "bad"
and doesn't even know how to clear the codes!......yup, Bike has
self diagnostics!

I downloaded service manual myself, found out how to clear codes and
accurately diag. in less than 30 min......and verified mechanic as being
a moron/liar.....take your pick,at the same time.

I am waay too old, and the belly waay to big to be grabbing my ankles
for a parts changer. Did I mention,.......bike is about 100 miles from home
and I have NO way of picking it up.

Pisst does not do justice to the way I feel right now.

BTW, I have a friend, a "master Yamaha cert. mechanic" for over 40 yrs. ,
tell me there is "NO WAY" the $675 computer dipshyt wants to replace is the
issue................

right now, I am not "Happy"...........or any of the other dwarfs ........

Paul Pless
07-24-2014, 08:41 PM
so what's broke on it?

The Bigfella
07-24-2014, 08:48 PM
I think I know the type.... he's about as good as me at diagnosing things :cool:

I have watched over the shoulder of a master at it and been nothing short of amazed. I sheared a woodruff key on the ignition and it took about 10 - 15 minutes for this Thai guy to have the broken part in his hand. He started with the obvious and worked his way through. He checked the computer module and a few other things with his multimeter (you wouldn't believe how rare they are in Asia... I carry my own) and then went straight to it. I shouted him a few beers.

Good luck with these clutzes. Any chance of getting the insurance company to agreeing to move it to someone competent?

jack grebe
07-24-2014, 09:00 PM
so what's broke on it?
Code is for a crank position sensor, sensor ohms out good, so he
condemned ecu, never checked wiring, pick up on crank, or even checked
for good connections.
Told me there is no way to clear codes.......BS.

I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I aintthatdamndumb .

The Bigfella
07-24-2014, 09:04 PM
.... and with perfectly serendipitous timing, my KTM engine just arrived at the front door from Nevada.

If you think you are having a bad day with that repair, Jack.... this one is a saga. The bike seized solid 4 kms from the southern China border, in Laos. Three days later, I got the bike to a shop... after two days waiting for a lift and then 28 hours in a truck.... we dismantled it, then I got the key parts to Thailand and mailed them to Nevada.

Someone lost or stole the crankshaft in transit, so I sent another one from Australia to Nevada. The crankcases, crankshaft, barrel and piston just arrived back from Nevada to Australia.... although the one piece they forgot to pack is still winging its way here from the US.

Now I have to get them back to Laos.... and see if we can reassemble the jigsaw.... although I probably need to spend several hundred more on parts first. The bike is, ahem, illegally in Laos, of course... but that's a minor issue.

The Bigfella
07-24-2014, 09:08 PM
Code is for a crank position sensor, sensor ohms out good, so he
condemned ecu, never checked wiring, pick up on crank, or even checked
for good connections.
Told me there is no way to clear codes.......BS.

I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I aintthatdamndumb .

I don't know that bike, Jack.... but an issue I googled up while we were diagnosing :d my "new" 1998 Husqvarna was that the sensor magnets on the ignition stator sometimes come loose.... which is the other side of the crank position sensor. Funnily enough, your Yamaha ignition may even be the same as the Husky one. I'd be pulling the bike back to a better base and start exploring that.

The part I'm waiting on from the US is.... the crank position sensor, which was apparently damaged on my KTM engine.

The Bigfella
07-24-2014, 09:12 PM
Incidentally, if it is the magnets... they can be reglued, with some fiddling around. Check the part price to see if its worth it. The sensor for my KTM was only $69.

jack grebe
07-24-2014, 09:24 PM
I don't know that bike, Jack.... but an issue I googled up while we were diagnosing :d my "new" 1998 Husqvarna was that the sensor magnets on the ignition stator sometimes come loose.... which is the other side of the crank position sensor. Funnily enough, your Yamaha ignition may even be the same as the Husky one.

BINGO..........I have a friend that is a "master certified Yamaha tech" for 40+ yrs...........

Basically said the same thing, Although not "unglued", trigger on the crank is bolted and known to
come loose........Dipshyt didn't even know how to look for it. And I have to "pay" these morons to
to retrieve my ride????????????????

jack grebe
07-24-2014, 09:25 PM
Did I mention............I AM NOT HAPPY

jack grebe
07-24-2014, 09:35 PM
Are all bike shops this anal? (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?180246-Are-all-bike-shops-this-anal)
but probably more than you would think.

I probably think I have undies older than this "A" hole...........

Garret
07-24-2014, 09:42 PM
There are plenty of idjuts out there. Have you told the insurance company about this? Or are you paying?

I'd think it'd be worth grabbing a pickup & bringing it home. There have to be competent bike shops on the greater Ft. Lauderdale area!

jack grebe
07-24-2014, 09:57 PM
There are plenty of idjuts out there. Have you told the insurance company about this? Or are you paying?

I'd think it'd be worth grabbing a pickup & bringing it home. There have to be competent bike shops on the greater Ft. Lauderdale area!
NO, I have not informed INS. company......yet.

I am looking into options of retrieving bike, diag'ing myself, and repairing................

Steve McMahon
07-24-2014, 10:10 PM
I have never owned a vehicle that I didn't do the repairs to myself. That is getting more challenging as vehicles get more complex and require more specialized diagnostic equipment. I take my company owned truck to a shop that allows me to be in the shop and sometimes even assist the mechanic. The dealer calls me every 3 months or so to try to get my oil change and regular maintenance business. The conversation always goes the same: me - "Can I be in the shop when the vehicle is being serviced?" answer - "No, our insurance policy doesn't allow customers in the shop." me - "Don't bother calling me again unless that policy changes."

Peerie Maa
07-25-2014, 03:36 AM
I feel your pain.For info, over here "anal" means exactly the opposite of what you found, an "anal" mechanic would have checked EVERYTING, including the least likely possible cause, and continued checking even with the two bits of broken component already on the bench.

PeterSibley
07-25-2014, 04:01 AM
I feel your pain.For info, over here "anal" means exactly the opposite of what you found, an "anal" mechanic would have checked EVERYTING, including the least likely possible cause, and continued checking even with the two bits of broken component already on the bench.

Same here, anal = obsessive.

JayInOz
07-25-2014, 05:33 AM
I recently scored a job as a local postman- having a ball getting paid good money to hoon around on footpaths on a little motor bike. The female postie here seized the little Honda she uses to deliver mail- never checks the oil but that will change:). Bike only has ten thousand k's on it. Local Honda shop said it's totally cactus- kaput- not worth even thinking about repairing. I talked my new boss into letting me and a mate pull it down. Just ordered three hundred dollars worth of parts which will be here Tuesday. I'll get a few dollars and twenty litres of turps for my trouble, and my mate wants one of my fat lambs to eat as his payment. Saved the postmaster five grand and made a friend:) JayInOz

PeterSibley
07-25-2014, 05:40 AM
Jay, are the new postie bikes still 110s ? Are they fuel injected now ? Are they as good as the old ones ?

JayInOz
07-25-2014, 06:14 AM
Peter the newest bike is a 110 stepthrough- electric start. Absolute dream to ride compared to the little dinosaur I ride- thirty five thousand k's on it:) I love the old models though. Used to use them on the farm years ago- the ag models with the high low range gear boxes. I've carried big kangaroos and fat dead sheep up some ridiculously nasty hillsides on them. I had one on my previous farm too- some filthy sods nicked it- and the twenty litres of petrol next to it. They came back later and stole heaps of gear- broke the stuff they didn't take. Still hoping to find out who it was- they will remember our meeting. JayInOz

PeterSibley
07-25-2014, 06:20 AM
I'm thinking of buying one but decent ones aren't cheap! The new FI green ones look good but they'll be a few years coming on the market .

The best farm bike I had a was TS 185 Suzuki, the one with the little clip to hold the clutch lever in, 2 side stands and a huge carrier on the rear . A excellent bit of kit and fast enough to go to work on!

JayInOz
07-25-2014, 06:28 AM
I went from a postie bike to an XT 500 Yamie- hammered it hard for twenty six years and it was still a good strong bike when I sold it. JayInOz

PeterSibley
07-25-2014, 06:39 AM
I had one of those and it was damn good trail bike, light enough to flick around on a greasy logging track when the knobbies started spinning but with decent power . A pity about the vibration ... i should have bought an XT 550, they didn't look so cool but were a better bike.

Figment
07-25-2014, 07:15 AM
My 07 Yamaha Roadliner shut down last weekend in the middle of "ALLIGATOR ALLEY"
If you're not familiar with this place, it is where I75, normally a N/S interstate, runs E/W
for 75 or so miles across south Florida's Everglades...........miles from nowhere..

As a new englander, I kinda love alligator alley. The novelty of a road that's straight for more than 1/2 mile hasn't worn off yet.
We're in Naples for thanksgiving every year, and most years we run out to Sunrise for a Panthers game. I'm always a bit conflicted. On one hand, I could put my foot down (hey, it's a rental!) and cut a half hour off our transit time. On the other hand, if the rental objects to such a whipping we're a long-ass way from any help.

Of course we've only ever seen 3 alligators.

Ted Hoppe
07-25-2014, 08:16 AM
sounds like a 6 week repair job with no warrantee on the work.
I would go fetch the bike with a local guy near you with a truck - shell out 100 for the ride. bring the bike home to a guy you trust.

I found if you let a bumbler tech mess with your bike - other issues will pop up soon and the bike will be down within short miles of the repair.

jpb54
07-25-2014, 08:59 AM
Home Depot rents trucks fairly cheaply . May be better to go pick it up and take it to your mechanic . Just saying ...

Garret
07-25-2014, 01:23 PM
I took him to be politely saying "Are all bike shops such a$$h#(@s?"