PDA

View Full Version : wooden boat in So Fla

RussellBourne
04-06-2005, 08:42 PM
I will be purchasing a wooden skiff (my first wooden boat) built by Lowell in MA and bringing it to Jupiter,Fl. The hull is cold molded below waterline, cedar on oak above. Should I be concerned about water bugs/borers, termites, or other infestation? If so, how do I protect this beauty of a boat?

qm
04-06-2005, 08:49 PM
Will it be sitting for any time in poluted water or in any water, or will you take it in and out every few days? What will be you habit on this? QMBob

RussellBourne
04-07-2005, 07:39 AM
Bob, I am undecided about trailer, wet slip or hi and dry storage, all are possibilities. If it is kept in the water, it will be in a canal off the intracoastal, approx. 2 miles from the Jupiter inlet so there will be daily tidal flow from the ocean with relatively clean and warm saltwater. The boat was built in the mid-90's with original cold molding, not an afterthought alteration. Thanks for your interest and thoughts.

ahp
04-07-2005, 10:28 AM
I will be interested in the replies to this thread. My understanding is that terado worms don't like poluted water.

Captain Pre-Capsize
04-07-2005, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by RussellBourne:
Should I be concerned about water bugs/borers, termites, or other infestation? If so, how do I protect this beauty of a boat?Actually you should - they are a very real and on-going problem down there. You will be faced with maintenance that most folks down there do hourly. If you skip a day you will return to the dock and have only an anchor left. Not a pretty sight.

There is a solution though and I am willing to help out a stranger. Bring the skiff here to Illinois for spring, summer and fall. I'll return it to you for winter storage and not even charge you for it's safe keeping. It is not everyone that I extend this offer to and it will expire at midnight tonight so don't dilly dally around - bring it on over! ;)

RussellBourne
04-08-2005, 06:52 AM
Capt. PC, now I know that it is true, boaters go to nearly any length to help a kindred spirit! If only I had seen your offer before deadline...like they say, timing is everthing. Well, at least your heart was in the right place!