PDA

View Full Version : shark tourism

Phillip Allen
07-16-2014, 04:27 PM
http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/outposts/post/search-continues-missing-shark-diver/

Ian McColgin
07-16-2014, 06:42 PM
They searched 4600 square miles ?? Like almost 70 miles by 70 miles if a square. I'm not quite one with the reliability of that part. Stranger yet is a night dive to see sharks.

With all the sharks coming to the Chatham area, attracted by the burgeoning seal population, we have some shark tour idiots - folk who want to make a business of diving with death, chumming them up, and generally endangering other swimmers by getting sharks used to the idea that people mean easy food.

Phillip Allen
07-16-2014, 08:12 PM
agreed

Breakaway
07-16-2014, 08:53 PM
Ijits.

Sharks don't fool around.

Getting away with it doesn't prove anything.

I predict this event will only add to the cachet of their trade.

Kevin

Phillip Allen
07-16-2014, 09:01 PM
think of all those bodies on Everest... danger tourism at it's best

bahma
07-17-2014, 09:53 AM
There is much in this story that has been omitted.
The dive operation concerned operates illegally in the Bahamas out of Florida. They have no Bahamian work permits, pay no business license fees. I doubt they operate under the safety guide lines of PADI, they certainly do not operate under any Bahamian law.
No one knows what happened to the diver, it is only an assumption that he was the victim of a shark attack. He more than likely, simply got separated from his dive buddy, became disoriented and lost......

You can imagine what would happen to me if I daily entered Floridian waters, without formally clearing customs or immigration, and start diving commercially off Dinner Cay. I doubt the first dive would be completed before Coast Guard rightfully arrived to arrest individuals and confiscate boat and equipment.

My son was amongst the first to start diving with and feeding sharks.
He has been doing so for over 40 years.....he is internationally renowned in this field, indeed, last year, he was awarded DEMA's highest award, which is awarded annually to those whom excel in diving, such as Jaques Cousteau and others of his ilk.

There is no denying that through the years, feeders have been bitten, this is to be expected, much as would one may be bitten by a hungry dog should you be feeding a group by hand. To my knowledge not one of the spectator divers have been bitten.

It is a common argument, as mentioned by Ian, that such activities may encourage sharks to attack humans, however, sharks are essentially predators, as such only attack those who they believe are easy prey.

My son is happy to dive with many different species of shark, including ocean white tips and hammer heads......these dives are usually confined to experienced divers who are essentially using them as photo ops......

They do not do it for a vicarious thrill, dicing with danger as it were.

I confess to have never dived with sharks, as a practicibg Dentist, the loss of even a thumb would put me out of business....that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.