PDA

View Full Version : refinishing teak-need help

clobdellak
12-25-2000, 09:43 PM
Got a lot of teak on my boat-varnishing it for 3rd year now. Everywhere there is a plug or slight crack, that is where moisture gets in and ruins varnish. Tired of patching all the time. Looking for some way technique or products to seal those small cracks.(PERMANTENTLY) Alot of rain up here in Sitka Alaska. Also looking for a good teak wood fill and/or coloring agent for epoxy. Thank you

clobdellak
Got a lot of teak on my boat-varnishing it for 3rd year now. Everywhere there is a plug or slight crack, that is where moisture gets in and ruins varnish. Tired of patching all the time. Looking for some way technique or products to seal those small cracks.(PERMANTENTLY) Alot of rain up here in Sitka Alaska. Also looking for a good teak wood fill and/or coloring agent for epoxy. Thank you

clobdellak

Ed Nye
12-27-2000, 12:54 PM
Do a search on "teak" or "teak maintenance" or something like that on this forum. There is some really good discussions (hundreds maybe) on that subject. Also may want to do a search on "Smith’s CPES." A lot of people here think it is for exactly what you want to do.
Ed

[This message has been edited by Ed Nye (edited 12-27-2000).]

Ed Nye
Do a search on "teak" or "teak maintenance" or something like that on this forum. There is some really good discussions (hundreds maybe) on that subject. Also may want to do a search on "Smith’s CPES." A lot of people here think it is for exactly what you want to do.
Ed

Ed Nye
Ed

Bob Cleek
12-27-2000, 02:09 PM
Yep, if there is any single reason to use CPES, this is it. I've got lots of varnished teak. The cabin joiner work never lasted because moisture would find its way under the varnish in a season and lift it right off. CPES cured about 90 percent of the problem. Sure, there's still the odd crack that develops, but you can keep on top of those easily enough. Take it down to bare wood. Prime with CPES (Sealer) and then varnish over that as usual. Follow Smith's directions. It's idiot proof.

Bob Cleek
Yep, if there is any single reason to use CPES, this is it. I've got lots of varnished teak. The cabin joiner work never lasted because moisture would find its way under the varnish in a season and lift it right off. CPES cured about 90 percent of the problem. Sure, there's still the odd crack that develops, but you can keep on top of those easily enough. Take it down to bare wood. Prime with CPES (Sealer) and then varnish over that as usual. Follow Smith's directions. It's idiot proof.

Bob Cleek