PDA

View Full Version : Flood CWF 5 For Bilge?

Pungo Lee
07-07-2014, 10:32 AM
I am currently wooding the bilge on a 1955 Barbour, I have had this boat for a long time and usually paint the bilge with an enamel or Brightsides. It never stays pretty for long and frankly I'm getting too old and tired to strip this thing. I though perhaps a good cleaning and coating with Flood CWF5 would do, that way I could just spray a coat on every year and be done with it. This stuff has Penetrol in it and I like what it does to exterior woodwork, plus the 5 is a premium UV version from the cheaper stuff from the big box stores. Its made by the same folks who make the expensive Marine stuff so could it be that different?
I may use inside as well on the lapstrake planking/frame instead of gloss varnish, which I'm also tired of stripping, I can deal with a matte finish.
Any input appreciated!

paulf
07-07-2014, 11:53 AM
I have it as a finish on my log house. It's been 23 years. I don't think I would use it on a boat tho.

slug
07-07-2014, 12:06 PM
I am currently wooding the bilge on a 1955 Barbour, I have had this boat for a long time and usually paint the bilge with an enamel or Brightsides. It never stays pretty for long and frankly I'm getting too old and tired to strip this thing. I though perhaps a good cleaning and coating with Flood CWF5 would do, that way I could just spray a coat on every year and be done with it. This stuff has Penetrol in it and I like what it does to exterior woodwork, plus the 5 is a premium UV version from the cheaper stuff from the big box stores. Its made by the same folks who make the expensive Marine stuff so could it be that different?
I may use inside as well on the lapstrake planking/frame instead of gloss varnish, which I'm also tired of stripping, I can deal with a matte finish.
Any input appreciated!

Dont know what Floods is. Locally small fishing boats haul in the spring, give the bilge a good scubbing with soap and water , then use sealer stain like you would use on exterior wood decks and house siding.

This product is thin like water with a redish pigment

i have no experience with it.

Ian McColgin
07-07-2014, 12:12 PM
Is there a reason you don't want to use a paint formulated for use in a bilge, like BilgeKote?

Bob Cleek
07-07-2014, 03:04 PM
I've used Flood's CWF on bare teak decks for decades. It's great stuff. Water just beads up on it, for as long as it lasts. It wears off eventually and all that's needed is a wash and a bleach and another coat of CWF. (Thompson's WaterSeal is the same stuff, essentially.) I don't know if their UV resistant stuff is any better. It probably is. Would it work on a bilge? Why not? If you have fuel and oil sloshing around in there, it might not repel solvents. It should work for water, though.

Pungo Lee
07-07-2014, 08:53 PM
I've used Flood's CWF on bare teak decks for decades. It's great stuff. Water just beads up on it, for as long as it lasts. It wears off eventually and all that's needed is a wash and a bleach and another coat of CWF. (Thompson's WaterSeal is the same stuff, essentially.) I don't know if their UV resistant stuff is any better. It probably is. Would it work on a bilge? Why not? If you have fuel and oil sloshing around in there, it might not repel solvents. It should work for water, though.

Thanks Bob, though Thompsons is primarily a silicone emulsion, the Flood 5 is I feel is closer to a Sikkens Cetol in formulation. The application (applies thick and orange) but dries semi-hard and beautiful with a matte-oil finish seems to be similar to the more expensive marine product.

Thanks everyone for their input.

Pungo Lee
07-07-2014, 09:00 PM
Is there a reason you don't want to use a paint formulated for use in a bilge, like BilgeKote?

I have in the past went to Herculean efforts to clean this bilge where paint would stick. Bilgekote couldn't be that much better than Z-Spar or Brightside applied over Interprime or Primekoat after meticulous cleaning with TSP. Fact is bilge paint always flakes off at the joints, exactly where it don't need to. Then, when you have to clean up, you are back to stripping and sanding.
I would rather spray something easily applied every year and get on the water.

slug
07-08-2014, 12:28 AM
Yah...difficult to produce good bilge in a wooden boat. Very thin coats of paint and yearly mainenance

Pungo Lee
07-11-2014, 07:12 PM
Today I "Flooded" the bilge and inner lapstrake sides after stripping and scraping all week. I think I'm going to like this stuff, took 3/4 of a gallon to put 2-3 coats on everything, the plywood really sucked the stuff up. I will still varnish the gunwales and hood but the interior looks great, very Traditional!

Ted Chism
07-11-2014, 07:22 PM
I am using this product on the duckboards in the cockpit. I have had it on my house deck for several years and it seems to be holding up very well.

Pungo Lee
07-12-2014, 09:17 PM
As far as after 28 hours the inner lapstrake planking looks great, hardening nicely with a workboat satin finish I like. The areas where the Flood has been applied and dried provided a great base coat for the Cabot Gloss varnish I purchased from the Habitat for Humanity Outlet store in Greensboro.
So far I like this finish for the bilge and upper inner plank walls, I still think its a great product for the budget wood boater!