PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the GOP can climb back out of the looney pit?

TomF
07-03-2014, 03:09 PM
I do.

But it may take another generation, and somebody else might show up first.

Glen Longino
07-03-2014, 03:13 PM
No, they're still digging!

TomF
07-03-2014, 03:20 PM
Increasingly, I think Oz is right on this. The Dems have shifted far enough that they make a fairly reasonable center-right party - much like what the Reps used to be. The new party will emerge from the Left, and the present-day Dems will absorb the not-crazy conservatives who want to actually contribute to the country. And the Republican rump will ... be a rump.

S.V. Airlie
07-03-2014, 04:04 PM
I guess the Dems can give them a "knee up"!

ahp
07-03-2014, 07:13 PM
Not anytime soon. The GOP needs to lose BIG, and I don't think they will very soon. If the GOP take both houses of Congress and the White House, it could happen sooner. After they screw up, political opinion very well could do a 180, and people like me will look like conservatives.

Hang onto your hat.

elf
07-03-2014, 07:33 PM
No. Old people nearly always become more fearful of change.

Chip-skiff
07-03-2014, 07:40 PM
The pertinent question: how low can they go?

Keith Wilson
07-03-2014, 10:12 PM
I don't think there will be a new party on the left; it's much too hard for a third party to get any power the way US politics is structured. The recovery of Republican sanity will take several electoral defeats and 10-15 years, maybe longer. Demographic changes will be the main driver; old people dying off, fewer angry old white southern evangelical men. I just hope the extreme right doesn't resort to violence in the meantime.

bobbys
07-03-2014, 10:19 PM
I do.

But it may take another generation, and somebody else might show up first..

odd a smart guy like you pandering to the libs here and making yourself irrelevant with threads like this.

Glen Longino
07-03-2014, 10:43 PM

odd a smart guy like you pandering to the libs here and making yourself irrelevant with threads like this.

Typical, a foolish guy like you telling a smart guy like Tom what pandering and irrelevance is all about.
Go pander to your fellow Troglodytes!

Canoeyawl
07-04-2014, 08:58 AM
It will take another's situation like Nixon lying and saying "I will stop this war" and then another thirty years to reelect his junior staff.

People are generally complacent and refuse to learn from mistakes, unless maybe they burn themselves on a hot stove. Telling them "HOT" doesn't work. Shouting it doesn't work. They still reach out and touch it.
Then they get it... sometimes.

TomF
07-04-2014, 09:23 AM

odd a smart guy like you pandering to the libs here and making yourself irrelevant with threads like this.Bobbys, it's called "irony."

The thread's not to be taken desperately seriously for its putative content, but "read" as a subtle poke at another poster for launching very similarly "naively" titled threads from the other side of the political fence ... while claiming no agenda. If you were in any doubt, the thread I launched a minute or so later about fluoride making Tea Party tea taste bad was supposed to remove it.

Of course, there is content though ... and sometimes even "ironic" threads launch genuine discussion.

You knew all that though, eh?

Gerarddm
07-04-2014, 09:48 AM
Not until the Tea Baggers stop drinking their swill.

LeeG
07-04-2014, 09:52 AM
Nope, it'll just get bigger for loonies of all stripes. Best not to get too close.

Tom Montgomery
07-04-2014, 09:54 AM
I don't.

bobbys
07-04-2014, 10:02 AM
Bobbys, it's called "irony."

The thread's not to be taken desperately seriously for its putative content, but "read" as a subtle poke at another poster for launching very similarly "naively" titled threads from the other side of the political fence ... while claiming no agenda. If you were in any doubt, the thread I launched a minute or so later about fluoride making Tea Party tea taste bad was supposed to remove it.

Of course, there is content though ... and sometimes even "ironic" threads launch genuine discussion.

You knew all that though, eh?.

I do not read every thread so missed your irony, however you still roused the troops as in post 14,7,8,and 9. Intresting you did not explain your "irony"to them..

PLaying it both ways I see........

S.V. Airlie
07-04-2014, 11:21 AM
No. Old people nearly always become more fearful of change.At what age are you referring to elf? You're 71!:)

elf
07-04-2014, 11:35 AM
"nearly always"

Arizona Bay
07-04-2014, 11:39 AM

I do not read every thread so missed your irony, however you still roused the troops as in post 14,7,8,and 9. Intresting you did not explain your "irony"to them..

PLaying it both ways I see........

We don't need 'irony' explained to us, it's self evident.

S.V. Airlie
07-04-2014, 11:39 AM
"nearly always"So, I put you in the "Old People Category"!

bobbys
07-04-2014, 11:47 AM
We don't need 'irony' explained to us, it's self evident..

The OP only responded to me about the irony, H e let all his buddies go on and on, thus he played it both ways, he enjoyed the slams against the GOP with a inane loony remark then expressed "outrage" when I responded..

Really....

Arizona Bay
07-04-2014, 11:52 AM
Really?

Peerie Maa
07-04-2014, 11:52 AM
It will take another's situation like Nixon lying and saying "I will stop this war" and then another thirty years to reelect his junior staff.

People are generally complacent and refuse to learn from mistakes, unless maybe they burn themselves on a hot stove. Telling them "HOT" doesn't work. Shouting it doesn't work. They still reach out and touch it.
Then they get it... sometimes.

That takes about forty years. The ones that get burned ensure the system works. But as soon as they retire from the fray the next lot who did not live through the cock up think that they can do it better and screw up all over gain. I predict a forty year cycle.

elf
07-04-2014, 11:53 AM
The earth hasn't got 40 more years, you know.

TomF
07-04-2014, 11:57 AM

The OP only responded to me about the irony, H e let all his buddies go on and on, thus he played it both ways, he enjoyed the slams against the GOP with a inane loony remark then expressed "outrage" when I responded..

Really....The other dudes didn't ask. And not long after I launched the thread, to be fair, I stepped away from the computer for a rather long while. Stuff happens to a thread when you're not there to watch. I'm not outraged either, b, by what they wrote or what you did. You're reading in an emotion that I didn't (and don't) feel.

BTW, stuff happens on genglandoh's unintentionally ironic threads which differ from his original intent too - sometimes a decent discussion breaks out, even.

bobbys
07-04-2014, 11:58 AM
Really?

I ponder if the OP would have climbed up on his soap box and gave a little speech about "irony" if no one responded calling him out on it.

I hate to think he would have just let the hate go on and on but he sure was fast to tell me about it but not correct his friends..

LOL

TomF
07-04-2014, 12:00 PM
...I hate to think he would have just let the hate go on and on but he sure was fast to tell me about it but not correct his friends..

LOLI didn't look at the thread between about 6 yesterday evening and 11:30 this morning. Lots can happen in that time.

Keith Wilson
07-04-2014, 12:37 PM
The earth hasn't got 40 more years, you know.That's silly. The earth has several billion more years, however careless we are. We may not be here, but something new will evolve.

__________________________________________________ ______________________

All rise. Please hold your applause until the end.

bobbys, you hereby awarded the Order of the Royal Whine, First Class, with double oak leaf clusters and a jelly donut.

Clapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapcl apclapclapclap.

bobbys
07-04-2014, 12:42 PM
I didn't look at the thread between about 6 yesterday evening and 11:30 this morning. Lots can happen in that time..

Nows your chance to tell your buddies it was "ironic" and not serious....

Or is it just another.... your looney,... prove your not thread..

By the way I'm not a mind reader and do not follow every gengs threads, you can read I do not have many posts on those so it's easy to miss the revenge angle you got going on here.

bobbys
07-04-2014, 12:44 PM
That's silly. The earth has several billion more years, however careless we are. We may not be here, but something new will evolve.

__________________________________________________ ______________________

All rise. Please hold your applause until the end.

bobbys, you hereby awarded the Order of the Royal Whine, First Class, with double oak leaf clusters and a jelly donut.

Clapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapcl apclapclapclap..

LOL .

On behalf of the forum I'm happy to accept, first I would like to thank mom, apple pie, Texas, ozanbrag, Glenn, Obama the Village people, the 69mets, Elvis,.!

TomF
07-04-2014, 12:46 PM
"Gents on My Side of the Fence? The thread was intended to be ironic - and as Arizona Bay said, you knew that already, eh? Feel free to play here as you might see fit on any similar ironic thread - intentional or not."

"As you were."

Done, Bobbys. Now relax, and enjoy Donn's Proclamation Day.

Keith Wilson
07-04-2014, 12:51 PM
The Village People! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAAzxdBkAdM

TomF
07-04-2014, 12:56 PM
Who's gonna grind the pink fairies into dust first?

Sky Blue
07-04-2014, 12:57 PM
Unmarked black helicopters? Hmm...

TomF
07-04-2014, 12:59 PM
I don't know who does the grinding. We import the dust from Canada.Tar sands byproduct.

wardd
07-04-2014, 01:27 PM
I guess the Dems can give them a "knee up"!

the dems are too busy giving away free stuff to help the reps

bobbys
07-04-2014, 02:31 PM
"Gents on My Side of the Fence? The thread was intended to be ironic - and as Arizona Bay said, you knew that already, eh? Feel free to play here as you might see fit on any similar ironic thread - intentional or not."

"As you were."

Done, Bobbys. Now relax, and enjoy Donn's Proclamation Day..

I will stop as long as you don't try and take away my royal order of the wine,I worked hard for that!

David G
07-04-2014, 02:35 PM
Judging by the intransigent loopiness exhibited by the Teabaggers here... no.

Tom Montgomery
07-04-2014, 02:43 PM
I will stop as long as you don't try and take away my royal order of the wine,I worked hard for that!
That was The Royal Order of the Whine.

bobbys
07-04-2014, 02:47 PM
That was The Royal Order of the Whine..
I was being ironic how come you did not get it?.

Why does this only work for tomF?..

Still if there's a award....

bobbys
07-04-2014, 02:47 PM
Judging by the intransigent loopiness exhibited by the Teabaggers here... no..

You cannot fool me, your bean ironic!

David G
07-04-2014, 02:49 PM
Judging by the intransigent loopiness exhibited by the Teabaggers here... no.

You cannot fool me, your bean ironic!

Spelling. Spelling! SPELLING!!!

I've been ironic!!!!

John Smith
07-04-2014, 03:34 PM
The pertinent question: how low can they go?

I think it depends entirely on the voters. I'm among those who believe the best way to kill the Tea Party and its influence on the GOP is to simply vote for Democrats in EVERY race. If Republicans win any elections they will see it as approval for the direction they are heading.

If people keep voting for Republicans it will not kill the Tea Party. It will kill any hope for any moderates in the GOP.

Flying Orca
07-04-2014, 03:42 PM
and gave a little speech about "irony"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awD1gtpdWIA