PDA

View Full Version : Lectra/san MSD

Nathan
04-25-2000, 08:15 PM
Does anyone have experience w/ the Raritan Lecta/san waste treatment system. On paper, aside from the price it seems to be a good solution to the head problem, ie. it avoids "pumping at night" per our departed hero, and most importantly, you're not stuck w/ a XX gal tank full of the stuff we can't say on this forum. It's also very compact relative to a holding tank. I'm on the Chesapeake which isn't a no discharge zone yet so that's not an issue.

Thanks,

Nathan

Nathan
Does anyone have experience w/ the Raritan Lecta/san waste treatment system. On paper, aside from the price it seems to be a good solution to the head problem, ie. it avoids "pumping at night" per our departed hero, and most importantly, you're not stuck w/ a XX gal tank full of the stuff we can't say on this forum. It's also very compact relative to a holding tank. I'm on the Chesapeake which isn't a no discharge zone yet so that's not an issue.

Thanks,

Nathan

Nathan

Thanks,

Nathan

Gresham CA
04-26-2000, 06:51 AM
Nathan, ZERO discharge is coming! I am faced now with putting in a standard holding tank. I'm gonna plumb it so that if I have to , I can dump it. The rest of the time the tru-hull will be locked. Save your money for paying the lobbyist when the government goes after the real pollutors, stockyards, faulty septic systems and MUNICIPALITIES!!

[This message has been edited by Gresham CA (edited 04-26-2000).]

Gresham CA
Nathan, ZERO discharge is coming! I am faced now with putting in a standard holding tank. I'm gonna plumb it so that if I have to , I can dump it. The rest of the time the tru-hull will be locked. Save your money for paying the lobbyist when the government goes after the real pollutors, stockyards, faulty septic systems and MUNICIPALITIES!!

Gresham CA

Ian McColgin
04-26-2000, 09:24 AM
My experience with LectaSan's has been entirely negative as I've only been shipmates with broken ones. One we did get working briefly ate the batteries. I'd rather deal with a large holding tank - Nantucket SOund is graced with lots of pumpout facilities - or a composting unit than zapping the . . .

I think in the long run, the on-board waste treatment by chemical or elecircal means is a loosing technology compared with bio-electric (composting) or simple storage. The shore still out-pollutes us all and in some places going from holding tank to pumpout is only a delayed way to pump overboard, but what ever.

Ian McColgin
My experience with LectaSan's has been entirely negative as I've only been shipmates with broken ones. One we did get working briefly ate the batteries. I'd rather deal with a large holding tank - Nantucket SOund is graced with lots of pumpout facilities - or a composting unit than zapping the . . .

I think in the long run, the on-board waste treatment by chemical or elecircal means is a loosing technology compared with bio-electric (composting) or simple storage. The shore still out-pollutes us all and in some places going from holding tank to pumpout is only a delayed way to pump overboard, but what ever.

Ian McColgin

Art Read
04-26-2000, 01:48 PM
My dad had a pair on a boat he bought in the Chesapeake years ago. They worked. About all I can say for em. God awfull "chemical" smell, (worse than a holding tank) Loud. Tempermental. This was fifteen years ago. Maybe they've improved since then? They lasted one season and were pulled out by the roots and replaced with Wilcox Crittendens. I'm going with a cedar bucket myself! ;-}

Art Read
My dad had a pair on a boat he bought in the Chesapeake years ago. They worked. About all I can say for em. God awfull "chemical" smell, (worse than a holding tank) Loud. Tempermental. This was fifteen years ago. Maybe they've improved since then? They lasted one season and were pulled out by the roots and replaced with Wilcox Crittendens. I'm going with a cedar bucket myself! ;-}

Art Read

Nathan
04-28-2000, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the feed back. I'm going back to plan "A" a holding tank w/ a down stream Y-valve and waste pump.

Nathan
Thanks for the feed back. I'm going back to plan "A" a holding tank w/ a down stream Y-valve and waste pump.

Nathan

Jack Logan
04-28-2000, 06:03 PM
Put Lectro-San in my GB36 back in '79. Quite happy with it. Draws 50 amps for 20 seconds, then back to moderate drain for one minute. Had no problem with odor, although effluent goes thru three stages and waits in , I think, the second compartment for next flush. Lived aboard that summer between San Diego and San Juans so got lots of use.

Jack Logan
Put Lectro-San in my GB36 back in '79. Quite happy with it. Draws 50 amps for 20 seconds, then back to moderate drain for one minute. Had no problem with odor, although effluent goes thru three stages and waits in , I think, the second compartment for next flush. Lived aboard that summer between San Diego and San Juans so got lots of use.

Jack Logan

dasboat
05-10-2000, 03:28 PM
Nathan,I just found this thread or I would have tossed in my $.02 worth earlier.
I have had two of these treatment devices.For 7yrs on our old pace,and for the last 18yrs on our current boat.
They are not noisey!There is nothing to make noise since they consist of two small motors(one for mixing during treatment and one for breaking down solids before treatment).The only other moving part is the mechanical timer on the older models such as ours.I believe todays timers are electronic .
In the total 25yrs we have had a lectra san we have had to replace one motor,three top assembly gaskets(needed each time the unit was taken apart to clean out some lubbers stupidity),and 4or5 fuses.
As for odor,when the effluent is discharged,and air currents bring you the odor,it will be a chemical smell something like chlorine.
I wouldn't be without one .
If the day comes when a holding tank is mandated, it will be a simple plumbing task. You can plan for that during your installation.
Regards,Darryl

dasboat
Nathan,I just found this thread or I would have tossed in my $.02 worth earlier.
I have had two of these treatment devices.For 7yrs on our old pace,and for the last 18yrs on our current boat.
They are not noisey!There is nothing to make noise since they consist of two small motors(one for mixing during treatment and one for breaking down solids before treatment).The only other moving part is the mechanical timer on the older models such as ours.I believe todays timers are electronic .
In the total 25yrs we have had a lectra san we have had to replace one motor,three top assembly gaskets(needed each time the unit was taken apart to clean out some lubbers stupidity),and 4or5 fuses.
As for odor,when the effluent is discharged,and air currents bring you the odor,it will be a chemical smell something like chlorine.
If the day comes when a holding tank is mandated, it will be a simple plumbing task. You can plan for that during your installation.
Regards,Darryl

dasboat
Regards,Darryl

Scott Rosen
05-10-2000, 04:22 PM
This thread reminds me of the debate on capital punishment. How do we deal with the noxious waste of human society? Electrocute them. Kill them with chemicals. Or house them away from the rest of society.

Old fashioned justice at sea works just as well for criminals as for effluent. Throw 'em over the side and let the fishies eat 'em.

But, alas, with political trends being what they are, the wave of the future for the treatment of criminals as well as the treatment of effluent will be to house them where we can't see or smell them until they can be disposed of by someone else when the rest of us aren't looking.

Something to think about for your next flush.

[This message has been edited by Scott Rosen (edited 05-10-2000).]

Scott Rosen
This thread reminds me of the debate on capital punishment. How do we deal with the noxious waste of human society? Electrocute them. Kill them with chemicals. Or house them away from the rest of society.

Old fashioned justice at sea works just as well for criminals as for effluent. Throw 'em over the side and let the fishies eat 'em.

But, alas, with political trends being what they are, the wave of the future for the treatment of criminals as well as the treatment of effluent will be to house them where we can't see or smell them until they can be disposed of by someone else when the rest of us aren't looking.

Scott Rosen

SandyD
11-08-2000, 04:09 PM
We had a lectra san on our yawl, and were happy with it. The only problems were when I was bailing the bilge & poured seawater on the circuit board (cover was off), and when, attempting to install superstiff 'odorless' hose, I snapped off the male hose fitting that's part of the top cover.

SandyD
We had a lectra san on our yawl, and were happy with it. The only problems were when I was bailing the bilge & poured seawater on the circuit board (cover was off), and when, attempting to install superstiff 'odorless' hose, I snapped off the male hose fitting that's part of the top cover.

SandyD

Gary Bergman
11-08-2000, 04:53 PM
I still haven't installed the holding tanks parts I've had for the whole year. As a 'dry cabin' junkie I just can't bring myself to make another deck penetration, so the tank and diverter valves just sit taking up all the good roomy spaces onboard. I'm now mulling over an attractive wood box on deck by the mainmast to stash the tank in, and run the plumbing out the nearest port! Damn the no discharge zones, full speed ahead!

Gary Bergman
I still haven't installed the holding tanks parts I've had for the whole year. As a 'dry cabin' junkie I just can't bring myself to make another deck penetration, so the tank and diverter valves just sit taking up all the good roomy spaces onboard. I'm now mulling over an attractive wood box on deck by the mainmast to stash the tank in, and run the plumbing out the nearest port! Damn the no discharge zones, full speed ahead!

Gary Bergman