PDA

View Full Version : guide for power planer

davebrown
07-02-2014, 09:42 AM
Is there a way to set up an angle guide for a power planer? I have a Bosch 3" planer. The below photo shows the analogue to a hand plane. I thought maybe a bar clamp with the extended foot but the housing appears to be plastic so I don't think it would take a clamp. This is for an 18 ft. skiff that has plumb edges as of this moment so I will have to really remove some meat if I have to use a hand plane.

http://www.francois.vivier.info/albumsfr/Voile-Aviron/aber/lillistone/ABER%20(44).jpg

Chip Chester
07-02-2014, 10:27 AM
Can you use the mount for the angle guide fence to attach a bracket for your own guide? Something like a healthy L-bracket to which you would attach a guide rod.
Or, free-hand the rough shape with the power plane, and ease it in using your manual set-up...
Lots of other options, from coping saws to routers to lots and lots and lots of sandpaper...

Chip

davebrown
07-02-2014, 10:50 AM
NOt bad suggestions, thank you. FYI the guide needs to be about 28". This will be a four hour job with an electric planer and two days manually. Just saying.

J.Madison
07-02-2014, 01:07 PM
Use a chisel, slick, drawknife, or adze to remove most of the material. The handplane follows.

It will be much faster, quieter, and more satisfying than a jig and power plane.

willin woodworks
07-02-2014, 02:29 PM
For wasting a lot of material in a hurry an oft overlooked but extremely useful tool is a real sharp hatchet. I have two in the shop. One with a curved face like an axe and one with a flat face; an old time shingling hatchet with a hammer poll on the butt end. Grind the edges back into the cheeks and polish the cheeks. You'd be surprised how close to a line you can hew with a little practice especially on a long curve with a bevel like on a transom. The end grain on floors that are beveled and curved can be roughed in real fast with a curved hatchet.

wizbang 13
07-02-2014, 02:32 PM
24 grit disc@ 3000 rpm on a spiral cool 7inch pad.
One minute.