PDA

View Full Version : John Deere Diesels

woodbutch
03-02-2001, 11:36 AM
Has anyone here adapted a JD Diesel to marine use?

woodbutch

woodbutch

Jamie Hascall
03-02-2001, 08:25 PM
It has been done. The one I saw installed was in Glory of the Seas by Bill Prothero, son of grand old Seattle Schooner builder Frank Prothero. Glory was Frank's last boat and he knew he would never finish it. Bill is now doing a beautiful job of bringing his dad's dream to fruition. I know there is a dealer of marinized JDs in the area. Give a holler if their name and number would be useful.

Jamie

Jamie Hascall
It has been done. The one I saw installed was in Glory of the Seas by Bill Prothero, son of grand old Seattle Schooner builder Frank Prothero. Glory was Frank's last boat and he knew he would never finish it. Bill is now doing a beautiful job of bringing his dad's dream to fruition. I know there is a dealer of marinized JDs in the area. Give a holler if their name and number would be useful.

Jamie

Jamie Hascall

Jamie

Jonathan Kabak
03-03-2001, 09:34 AM
John Deere blocks are somewhat common out on the water except for the fact that they have been painted white and called Luggers. As far as everyone I have every talked to or worked with they are the same damn thing. Of coures if you want a generator then you call it a northern lights. But all three are really the same bloody thing.

Jonathan

Jonathan Kabak
John Deere blocks are somewhat common out on the water except for the fact that they have been painted white and called Luggers. As far as everyone I have every talked to or worked with they are the same damn thing. Of coures if you want a generator then you call it a northern lights. But all three are really the same bloody thing.

Jonathan

Jonathan Kabak

Jonathan

Ken Liden
03-03-2001, 10:33 AM
Depends on which John Deere you are talking about. If the engine is the old POP POP that came from your grampas tractor I would forget it because it's going to shake your boat apart.

Alaska Diesel Electric who builds the Lugger lable power plants does build on the John Deere engines in thier smaller packages. The bigger engines however are Komatsu's. The Northern Lights generators by the same company use various import engines depending on generator size. My NL 12 kw is a IMZ engine and the 20 kw is a Shibaura.

John Deere also markets their own marine engines.

[This message has been edited by Ken Liden (edited 03-03-2001).]

Ken Liden
Depends on which John Deere you are talking about. If the engine is the old POP POP that came from your grampas tractor I would forget it because it's going to shake your boat apart.

Alaska Diesel Electric who builds the Lugger lable power plants does build on the John Deere engines in thier smaller packages. The bigger engines however are Komatsu's. The Northern Lights generators by the same company use various import engines depending on generator size. My NL 12 kw is a IMZ engine and the 20 kw is a Shibaura.

Ken Liden

woodbutch
03-05-2001, 09:28 AM
Thanks,
I am starting to look at the Ford Diesels also.

woodbutch
Thanks,

woodbutch
Thanks,

Suprcargo
03-06-2001, 12:15 PM
IMHO, The ford Lehman is an excellent choice.. I have twin 120's and they run like a champ. If you are on the east coast check out these folks... http://www.eaglesnest.net/americandiesel/
Bob and his team do a great job !!!
Rgds, John

[This message has been edited by Suprcargo (edited 03-08-2001).]

Suprcargo
IMHO, The ford Lehman is an excellent choice.. I have twin 120's and they run like a champ. If you are on the east coast check out these folks... http://www.eaglesnest.net/americandiesel/
Rgds, John

Suprcargo
Rgds, John