PDA

View Full Version : brazing silicon bronze - for Norm and others

Ron Linton
07-03-2003, 07:17 PM
Norm,

In the archives I found a couple of places where you mentioned that you had fabricated some of your fittings by brazing silicon bronze rod. Can you tell me something about the filler and flux that you used? (Are these the sort of supplies that I can get at the local hardware or building supply store?) What kind/size of torch did you use. I've also read here or there about "pickling" to remove the flux (?) - is that something you did?

I plan to fabricate as many of my fittings as possible for my work-in-progress boat, so any suggestions anyone has about the process of brazing silicon bronze plates, or silicon bronze metalworking in general, would be appreciated.

Ron Linton

Ron Linton
Norm,

In the archives I found a couple of places where you mentioned that you had fabricated some of your fittings by brazing silicon bronze rod. Can you tell me something about the filler and flux that you used? (Are these the sort of supplies that I can get at the local hardware or building supply store?) What kind/size of torch did you use. I've also read here or there about "pickling" to remove the flux (?) - is that something you did?

I plan to fabricate as many of my fittings as possible for my work-in-progress boat, so any suggestions anyone has about the process of brazing silicon bronze plates, or silicon bronze metalworking in general, would be appreciated.

Ron Linton

Ron Linton
Norm,

Ron Linton

NormMessinger
07-03-2003, 07:47 PM
The flux was No 1 blue and the fill metal rod alloy was 15 bare not because I knew what I was doing. It's just the normal stuff one gets when one walks into the welding supply store and announces one needs to braze weld some bronze.

The fill metal is a bit lighter in color than the bronze.

One problem with copper alloys is they loose temper when heated. Quenching will not restore it. Hammering or shot peening will but that would take a lot of whacking if done by hand so I live with it.

Why, with enough fill metal and a grinder one can almost make something that looks cast.

Real weldors will advise that you have a plasma cutter and a TIG welder or maybe MIG. I have an oxy/acetylene set up which welds, cuts and forges. It wont do most things as well as a dedicated machine but it will do most things satisfactorily.

Tip size varied with the thickness of the base metal as does the diameter of the fill metal rod.

I've seen both flux and brazing rods in our local Ace hardware store.

And, remember, to a weldor penetration is everything.

NormMessinger
The flux was No 1 blue and the fill metal rod alloy was 15 bare not because I knew what I was doing. It's just the normal stuff one gets when one walks into the welding supply store and announces one needs to braze weld some bronze.

One problem with copper alloys is they loose temper when heated. Quenching will not restore it. Hammering or shot peening will but that would take a lot of whacking if done by hand so I live with it.

Why, with enough fill metal and a grinder one can almost make something that looks cast.

Real weldors will advise that you have a plasma cutter and a TIG welder or maybe MIG. I have an oxy/acetylene set up which welds, cuts and forges. It wont do most things as well as a dedicated machine but it will do most things satisfactorily.

Tip size varied with the thickness of the base metal as does the diameter of the fill metal rod.

NormMessinger

Ron Linton
07-07-2003, 11:17 AM
Ah, Norm, thanks for the info... very helpful, especially your pointed comment about that penetration thing.

Just curious: anyone had experience welding silicon bronze plate??

Ron Linton

Ron Linton
Ah, Norm, thanks for the info... very helpful, especially your pointed comment about that penetration thing.

Ron Linton

Ron Linton

Ron Linton

Brook Hamilton
07-10-2003, 04:33 PM
I have a TIG welder but am very much an amature in the welding department. (I like to think my carpentry / boatbuilding skills are better than average but that is another story). Anyway, I have had good success welding bronze fittings, using bronze rod from Atlas Metals as filler. I have not tried sheet yet, but I expect it to react the same. I believe the base metal and the rod were very similar as I do not see any colour differences in the finished product. Since I am a bit of a butcher at welding it takes a lot of filing, grinding, polishing after the welder is turned off, but the finished product is OK. I don't know how much the temper has been affected.

Brook Hamilton
I have a TIG welder but am very much an amature in the welding department. (I like to think my carpentry / boatbuilding skills are better than average but that is another story). Anyway, I have had good success welding bronze fittings, using bronze rod from Atlas Metals as filler. I have not tried sheet yet, but I expect it to react the same. I believe the base metal and the rod were very similar as I do not see any colour differences in the finished product. Since I am a bit of a butcher at welding it takes a lot of filing, grinding, polishing after the welder is turned off, but the finished product is OK. I don't know how much the temper has been affected.

Brook Hamilton

imported_Conrad
07-10-2003, 06:34 PM
I've run bronze wire through the mig welder in the shop with mixed gas- liked the way it worked. Although I was only doing small pieces, it would be easy to do plate or anything else, much like welding steel, easier than aluminum. Don't know what its done for the strength, but looks OK (the welder's downfall!!! :D ).

imported_Conrad
I've run bronze wire through the mig welder in the shop with mixed gas- liked the way it worked. Although I was only doing small pieces, it would be easy to do plate or anything else, much like welding steel, easier than aluminum. Don't know what its done for the strength, but looks OK (the welder's downfall!!! :D ).

imported_Conrad