PDA

View Full Version : Carpel tunnel

Ted Hoppe
06-18-2014, 08:40 AM
I have been dealing with sever carpel tunnel ever since the haul out last month. It is in both hands and runs up my arms. I seen the doctor and have prescriptions, take vitamin b complexes, sleep with splints, and do stretches/excersises. It has cut my mobility, grip and feeling.

I am getting worried about returning to normal and even better. Has anyone gone through this and what did you do?

Paul Pless
06-18-2014, 08:47 AM
I had carpal tunnel release surgery on my right hand two years ago and on my left hand this last winter. Best thing I ever did, no complications, easy surgery and recovery, the nerve pain was gone completely within 24 hours of the surgery. I have no sleep related issues or repetitive use issues at all now. Wish I had had it done years ago. No brainer - get it done now, before you continue to cause permanent grip strength loss.

Saxe Point
06-18-2014, 09:24 AM
I had carpal tunnel release surgery on my right hand two years ago and on my left hand this last winter. Best thing I ever did, no complications, easy surgery and recovery, the nerve pain was gone completely within 24 hours of the surgery. I have no sleep related issues or repetitive use issues at all now. Wish I had had it done years ago. No brainer - get it done now, before you continue to cause permanent grip strength loss.

I agree. I had both hands done, 6 months apart. Easy surgery and great recovery. Instant relief. If you wait too long, there is risk of permanent nerve damage, my doctor told me.

Jim Mahan
06-18-2014, 09:31 AM
When I ran a big CNC router in an oak furniture rough mill, in the late '80s, I often had to pound the rough panel with the palms of my hands or my fists to get the vacuum table to make a seal with the panel before milling it. I had gone to a chiropractor for a neck thing (different story) and incidentally mentioned my chronic wrist pain. He grabbed my hand and told me to relax. Then he gently shook my hand for a moment before snapping it and making my joint pop. Then he did the other hand and asked me if that was any better. And damned if it wasn't. Changing how I worked after that basically kept it from coming back.

Besides an experience of repetitive strain, which causes inflammation and swelling in addition to pain, you may also have other causes of inflammation, which you might not be aware of, such as from gluten sensitivity, contributing. Going paleo in your diet, maybe just a couple of weeks while you heal, may actually improve the potential systemic inflammation that may be also affecting other systems like your nervous system to include your brain, as well as all your digestive organs, etc.

And make sure you aren't habitually sleeping with your hands tucked such that it affects your circulation. Maybe use a palm sander or the equivalent, for a little therapy, to vibrate and stimulate local blood flow without increasing swelling and inflammation.

Gerarddm
06-18-2014, 10:15 AM
Age may have something to do with it. Last time I tweaked the ligaments and tendons in my right knee, it took 8 months to return to normal.

John Smith
06-18-2014, 11:38 AM
I've had this in both wrists.

Surgery each time. Quite quick.

2nd time, knowing that NO anesthesiologist working in Mountainside Hospital participated in any insurance plan, I had it done under a local. The entire operation took 12 minutes. I got to listen to the chatter about my doctor's dating life.

Strange thing that followed was a bill from the anesthesiologist for services that weren't actually rendered. The surgeon gave me the local. It took a few letters back and forth before I convinced the hospital's administrator that this bill was not one that should have been sent.

David W Pratt
06-18-2014, 01:41 PM
My $0.02 is, call the local Philharmonic orchestra and find out who they use for carpel tunnel. Musicians get it and stopping is not an option. They would use the best. Ditto with professional sports teams and big time college athletic programs.
Good luck

Ted Hoppe
06-18-2014, 04:02 PM
Thanks for helping begin to sort out this mess. It has made me quite unsocialble. Lack of sleep and goofiness with drugs has hurt my sunny disposition. I am going to a physical therapist on Friday then decide my next option. I can't afford to stop working - it is my hands and eyes that pay the bills. I will give it another 2 weeks then ask for more aggressive treatment.

Paul Pless
06-18-2014, 04:08 PM
Thanks for helping begin to sort out this mess. It has made me quite unsocialble. Lack of sleep and goofiness with drugs has hurt my sunny disposition. I couldn't find a drug, narcotic nor over the counter, that gave relief from carpal tunnel pain - most especially the night time pain.

Its worth mentioning that there was no formal physical therapy prescribed post op for me. I was in a cast for a week and then in a brace for a week. It took about four weeks total time to return to full strength, but after two weeks there were no restrictions on physical activity.

Dave Gray
06-18-2014, 04:15 PM
I pretty much stopped bicycling because of carpal tunnel. It got so I would take a short ride and both hands would be numb. I've always been leery of surgery. Perhaps it is is warranted as this also affects playing guitar.

Phil Y
06-18-2014, 09:55 PM
Ted I have no experience or advice, but sorry to hear it. get well soon!

bobbys
06-19-2014, 12:26 PM
Hope you get better, I'm sitting here with a ice pack on my back for sins in past life's.

Ted Hoppe
06-19-2014, 12:58 PM
Hope you get better, I'm sitting here with a ice pack on my back for sins in past life's.

you too. This physical life is not for the timid. I have begun eat a more paleo diet which has helped with inflammation. I am gearing toward a more alkaline balance but there is very little joy in those meals but it does make a difference with body healing itself. I threw out my poor orbital sander and other budget power tools which may have added to this as well as evaluating my other tools and toys that make me wince. I hope to get back good enough to be on the bicycles and ride a bit with my wife.

Funny how we can scale down to recognize what is most important pretty quick.

George Jung
06-19-2014, 01:01 PM
PT can be pretty effective - along with braces, worn at night. Don't let it go on too long; if it's severe, you'll take longer to recover (or won't recover). Avoid 'making things move' by smacking them with your palm.

Paul Pless
06-19-2014, 01:37 PM
I threw out my poor orbital sander and other budget power tools which may have added to this as well as evaluating my other tools and toys that make me wince.
Let me know when you decide to give up riding your old boxer. ;)

Ted Hoppe
06-19-2014, 01:48 PM
Let me know when you decide to give up riding your old boxer. ;)

Now I am turning around, heading home and you can forget getting my bone marrow or the other kidney. :rolleyes:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8461/8027678558_ea1b91938c_z.jpg

bobbys
06-19-2014, 02:12 PM
you too. This physical life is not for the timid. I have begun eat a more paleo diet which has helped with inflammation. I am gearing toward a more alkaline balance but there is very little joy in those meals but it does make a difference with body healing itself. I threw out my poor orbital sander and other budget power tools which may have added to this as well as evaluating my other tools and toys that make me wince. I hope to get back good enough to be on the bicycles and ride a bit with my wife.

Funny how we can scale down to recognize what is most important pretty quick.

my son is only 33but has"crab hands" I suppose it's carpel tunnel for commercial crabbers..

I had bursitis in my shoulder for years a dull always there pain.

I'm very lucky to have gone through my career with no major pains..

I tell my kids that's so long shot to be in construction and make it to a older age all in one piece..

I am amazed at some of my friends having knee and hip replacements already and they never did anything like roofing..

Some were banged up bad from football and sports injuries.

One thing I did was not go skiing or dirt bike race ing or do anything risky or harmful as I needed my body to make a living..

My chiro gave me some natural pills I read magnesium, valerian root, passiflora, is in them

Canoeyawl
06-19-2014, 02:18 PM
Some of the best advice I ever had was "Don't use your hand as a hoof"

(this is self explanatory if you note the evolution of the bones in a horse's hoof)