PDA

View Full Version : Volvo MD-1 Hand Crank

gjr3
11-02-2000, 06:55 PM
Any sources (besides Volvo) for a hand crank for the MD-1?

Thanks in advance...

Gregg

gjr3

Thanks in advance...

Gregg

gjr3

Thanks in advance...

Gregg

ACB
11-02-2000, 11:53 PM
Happy to help, but I'm on the wrong side of the pond! Crank from later Volvos fits.

They're easy to fabricate, actually - a short length of pipe slides over the axle, with a crank on the outboard end, and V shaped slanted slots with the side in contact with the lugs in line with the pipe's axis and the other side slanted at 45deg (for safety!) on the business end.

Be warned that it is NOT easy to hand start an MD1. Best technique is for one person (usually male) to crank furiously while a second person (often female!) knocks the decompressor off at the psychological moment!

ACB
Happy to help, but I'm on the wrong side of the pond! Crank from later Volvos fits.

They're easy to fabricate, actually - a short length of pipe slides over the axle, with a crank on the outboard end, and V shaped slanted slots with the side in contact with the lugs in line with the pipe's axis and the other side slanted at 45deg (for safety!) on the business end.

Be warned that it is NOT easy to hand start an MD1. Best technique is for one person (usually male) to crank furiously while a second person (often female!) knocks the decompressor off at the psychological moment!

ACB

Chuck St John
11-07-2000, 06:20 PM
Handstarting is possible. I had an 2 cyl Volvo in my Falmoth 22 for some years, and hand cranked it a number of times. I little squirt of engine start fluid, (ether I think) helps a lot, as well starting to crank with the deompressor off, as was mentioned the previous responce, but it doesn't take two people if yourig a spring and a little line, the line goes somewhere you can hold it with your body while you crank and the spring tugs it to the run position.
But my engine was relitivly new, and was not too hard to start in any event./
Chuck

Chuck St John
Handstarting is possible. I had an 2 cyl Volvo in my Falmoth 22 for some years, and hand cranked it a number of times. I little squirt of engine start fluid, (ether I think) helps a lot, as well starting to crank with the deompressor off, as was mentioned the previous responce, but it doesn't take two people if yourig a spring and a little line, the line goes somewhere you can hold it with your body while you crank and the spring tugs it to the run position.
Chuck

Chuck St John
Chuck

Ian McColgin
11-08-2000, 03:55 PM
I've not managed to hand crank start the 20hp (when new) 1943 2 lung air cooled Deutz that graces Grana's bowels. Maybe one could if a good angle were available but lieing on the sole and reaching down to about full arm length at the bottom of the cycle does not give much leverage.

I use the crank to move the engin making depressing the spring loaded decompression valves easier than smacking them with a mallet, & I sometimes winde it a bit by hand to get some oil moving before I light her up, but the times I've tried a pure hand start ended with the crank lifting me up with a back turn shen I hit compression.

Ian McColgin
I've not managed to hand crank start the 20hp (when new) 1943 2 lung air cooled Deutz that graces Grana's bowels. Maybe one could if a good angle were available but lieing on the sole and reaching down to about full arm length at the bottom of the cycle does not give much leverage.

I use the crank to move the engin making depressing the spring loaded decompression valves easier than smacking them with a mallet, & I sometimes winde it a bit by hand to get some oil moving before I light her up, but the times I've tried a pure hand start ended with the crank lifting me up with a back turn shen I hit compression.

Ian McColgin