PDA

View Full Version : Black locust I no longer want

Ross Faneuf
11-29-2000, 05:11 PM
I know we're not supposed to post buy/sell/swap info, so this topic may be improper/removed by the moderator.

I have some West Virginia black locust I no longer want because, frankly, I found the wood to difficult to work with for the application I wanted to make. I would be pleased to donate/give it to anyone who really wants it. Is it fair to mention it here? If so, I'll add more detail when/if I get an OK.

Ross Faneuf
I know we're not supposed to post buy/sell/swap info, so this topic may be improper/removed by the moderator.

I have some West Virginia black locust I no longer want because, frankly, I found the wood to difficult to work with for the application I wanted to make. I would be pleased to donate/give it to anyone who really wants it. Is it fair to mention it here? If so, I'll add more detail when/if I get an OK.

Ross Faneuf

Mike Field
11-30-2000, 05:41 AM
I hope the moderator stays his hand, Ross, because I'd love to be able to try some out here in Oz for some of the fittings we make. It's not a timber we're familiar with here except by reputation, and I'd happily defray the costs of getting some out here for a trial. (Some possibles can be viewed at www.woodenboatfittings.com, (http://www.woodenboatfittings.com,) and any suggestions would be most welcome) -- Mike

Mike Field
I hope the moderator stays his hand, Ross, because I'd love to be able to try some out here in Oz for some of the fittings we make. It's not a timber we're familiar with here except by reputation, and I'd happily defray the costs of getting some out here for a trial. (Some possibles can be viewed at www.woodenboatfittings.com, (http://www.woodenboatfittings.com,) and any suggestions would be most welcome) -- Mike

Mike Field

htom
11-30-2000, 10:06 AM
Typo in address, mike? It says "not found".

htom

htom

thechemist
11-30-2000, 10:12 AM
Ross,

It would appear that Buy/Sell/Swap is not the same as Donate, and there is no prohibition on Donate postings.

If you want a legal opinion on this point, I think I know where you can find a lawyer or two......

thechemist
Ross,

It would appear that Buy/Sell/Swap is not the same as Donate, and there is no prohibition on Donate postings.

If you want a legal opinion on this point, I think I know where you can find a lawyer or two......

thechemist
Ross,

Dave R
11-30-2000, 10:14 AM
Ross, I'd be interested in a piece just to see what it's like.

Dave R

Dave R

Ross Faneuf
11-30-2000, 10:48 AM
OK, here's the deal. I have around 15 pieces of West Virginia black locust, a mix of 6/4 and 8/4, 6-9 feet long, live edge (that is with the bark still on), various widths, air dried. Anyone who wants some is welcome to come to my place in Lincolnville Maine and help themselves; that's the catch. Shipping stuff like this is a real pain, so I have to offer it to you on a come-and-get-it basis.

I was originally going to use it for sheer strake and toe rail, but I quickly found that, with the tools and skills I possess, that it was much too ornery to turn into long pieces of finish work, for all that Swifty swore by the stuff. I have a few pieces I got down to square edge that I'll probably hang on to, as I've found it useful for specialty stuff and small work.

I used some to laminate up my tiller, which is alternating layers of locust and mahogany, and that came out very nice.

It's brutally hard; I ate up a carbide circular saw blade cleaning up the edges of about 10 pieces, and ate up a ripping blade ripping it down. Possibly I would have gotten farther if I could have had some advice from someone familiar, but didn't know anyone.

Anyway, there's the offer. Sorry about the distance to Oz..

p.s. I'd be willing to throw some in my old pickup and deliver it if it's reasonably near home, or somewhere between my place and Hamilton Marine in Searsport http://media4.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif And I suppose I could always UPS small chunks to the curious. But what I really want is get that stack of live edge out of the boat shed.

[This message has been edited by Ross Faneuf (edited 11-30-2000).]

Ross Faneuf
OK, here's the deal. I have around 15 pieces of West Virginia black locust, a mix of 6/4 and 8/4, 6-9 feet long, live edge (that is with the bark still on), various widths, air dried. Anyone who wants some is welcome to come to my place in Lincolnville Maine and help themselves; that's the catch. Shipping stuff like this is a real pain, so I have to offer it to you on a come-and-get-it basis.

I was originally going to use it for sheer strake and toe rail, but I quickly found that, with the tools and skills I possess, that it was much too ornery to turn into long pieces of finish work, for all that Swifty swore by the stuff. I have a few pieces I got down to square edge that I'll probably hang on to, as I've found it useful for specialty stuff and small work.

I used some to laminate up my tiller, which is alternating layers of locust and mahogany, and that came out very nice.

It's brutally hard; I ate up a carbide circular saw blade cleaning up the edges of about 10 pieces, and ate up a ripping blade ripping it down. Possibly I would have gotten farther if I could have had some advice from someone familiar, but didn't know anyone.

p.s. I'd be willing to throw some in my old pickup and deliver it if it's reasonably near home, or somewhere between my place and Hamilton Marine in Searsport http://media4.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif And I suppose I could always UPS small chunks to the curious. But what I really want is get that stack of live edge out of the boat shed.

Ross Faneuf

Dave R
11-30-2000, 11:37 AM
SWMBO and I are planning a trip to your neck of the woods in the summer. If you got any left then maybe I'll try to get some. It would be a long weekend drive from MN for a few pieces though.

Thanks.

Dave R
SWMBO and I are planning a trip to your neck of the woods in the summer. If you got any left then maybe I'll try to get some. It would be a long weekend drive from MN for a few pieces though.

Thanks.

Dave R

Thanks.

Eb
11-30-2000, 08:16 PM
Mike,

Keep a space before and after your URL, then it will work.

http://www.woodenboatfittings.com/

Nice site.

Eb

Eb
Mike,

Nice site.

Eb

Eb
Mike,

Nice site.

Eb

Mike Field
12-01-2000, 06:05 AM
Thanks, Eb -- much appreciated. The pop-up window seems to want to add its own ./ at the end, and if they're removed it works OK.

Pity about the timber, though. Guess we'll just have to stick with jarrah....

Mike Field
Thanks, Eb -- much appreciated. The pop-up window seems to want to add its own ./ at the end, and if they're removed it works OK.

Mike Field

Ross Faneuf
12-01-2000, 09:10 AM
Mike - if what you are looking for is small stuff you could use to experiment, I would be glad to pack and a box and send it to you. What lengths would be useful? I could probably get some pieces up to 18-20" long out of the more gnarly pieces, take off the live edge, and send it. Your stuff looks so nice, I'd like to be helpful. Have you any idea what a limiting weight for UPS or similar shipment would be? I think that would be the limiting factor.

I guess I'd be willing to do this for other people as well. I don't mind spending a bit of time cutting up some of this stuff; it's more that I hate to see it sitting there using up space when I don't intend to use it myself.

Ross Faneuf
Mike - if what you are looking for is small stuff you could use to experiment, I would be glad to pack and a box and send it to you. What lengths would be useful? I could probably get some pieces up to 18-20" long out of the more gnarly pieces, take off the live edge, and send it. Your stuff looks so nice, I'd like to be helpful. Have you any idea what a limiting weight for UPS or similar shipment would be? I think that would be the limiting factor.

I guess I'd be willing to do this for other people as well. I don't mind spending a bit of time cutting up some of this stuff; it's more that I hate to see it sitting there using up space when I don't intend to use it myself.

Ross Faneuf

thechemist
12-01-2000, 01:20 PM
UPS has a limit of 88 inches for length and girth combined, although they will ship larger with an "oversize" surcharge. They have a weight limit of about 66 pounds, but will ship heavier with a surcharge. Small shipments will likely not hit those limits.

thechemist
UPS has a limit of 88 inches for length and girth combined, although they will ship larger with an "oversize" surcharge. They have a weight limit of about 66 pounds, but will ship heavier with a surcharge. Small shipments will likely not hit those limits.

thechemist

Mike Field
12-01-2000, 05:34 PM
Thank you, Ross, that's a very welcome reply and a very generous thought. There's an email on its way.

And thank you, Chemist, for the UPS information, which I'm afraid I wouldn't have a clue about. (What does UPS stand for, anyway -- United (States) Postal Service?)

Mike Field
Thank you, Ross, that's a very welcome reply and a very generous thought. There's an email on its way.

And thank you, Chemist, for the UPS information, which I'm afraid I wouldn't have a clue about. (What does UPS stand for, anyway -- United (States) Postal Service?)

Mike Field

PilotArt
12-02-2000, 06:21 AM
Mike,

Not many questions here that I feel comfortable answering.

UPS is United Parcel Service and they have a web site:
http://www.ups.com

They are worldwide (based in Louisville KY US) and are major competition of US Postal Service.

I have not seen the web site but copied the www from a UPS envelope.

Art

PilotArt
Mike,

They are worldwide (based in Louisville KY US) and are major competition of US Postal Service.

Art

PilotArt
Mike,

Art

Mike Field
12-02-2000, 05:23 PM
Thanks, Art. It seems a pretty comprehensive site, and service, although I'm not quite clear how it compares with the USPS. (Their site, by the way, is at http://www.uspsglobal.com.) But it looks rather as though an M-Bag from the latter might be a bit cheaper.)

Mike Field
Thanks, Art. It seems a pretty comprehensive site, and service, although I'm not quite clear how it compares with the USPS. (Their site, by the way, is at http://www.uspsglobal.com.) But it looks rather as though an M-Bag from the latter might be a bit cheaper.)

Mike Field

Greg H
12-02-2000, 05:59 PM
Not to be negative here, but something you need to consider when shipping to Australia, is the customs and agriculteral regs. If I remember right, you can't bring veggies, plants,untreated or unfinished wood into the country. You might want to check it out. Shipping anything of weight costs a lot ups, the cheapest and slowest is usps surface mail, takes anywhere from 1-3months.
Just call the wood bits, Bushmans Blow fly smashers (or something like that) and keep your fingers crossed.
peace, Greg

[This message has been edited by Greg H. (edited 12-02-2000).]

Greg H
Not to be negative here, but something you need to consider when shipping to Australia, is the customs and agriculteral regs. If I remember right, you can't bring veggies, plants,untreated or unfinished wood into the country. You might want to check it out. Shipping anything of weight costs a lot ups, the cheapest and slowest is usps surface mail, takes anywhere from 1-3months.
Just call the wood bits, Bushmans Blow fly smashers (or something like that) and keep your fingers crossed.
peace, Greg

Greg H
peace, Greg

Ross Faneuf
12-02-2000, 08:10 PM
I've now heard from a number of you - 8, I think - who would like some of the locust, and I'm having to declare it's all gone - I'll figure out how to parcel it out among you and send it along or make it available.

I'm really pleased that there are those of you who can use this material, and I'm happy to move it along.

Ross Faneuf
I've now heard from a number of you - 8, I think - who would like some of the locust, and I'm having to declare it's all gone - I'll figure out how to parcel it out among you and send it along or make it available.

I'm really pleased that there are those of you who can use this material, and I'm happy to move it along.

Ross Faneuf

Mike Field
12-05-2000, 05:52 AM
Thanks for the reminder about quarantine, Greg. I've checked with our Quarantine Service here, and there are no problems as long as they get a chance to inspect the parcel before delivery.

In case any other Aussies are interested in the procedure, a declaration needs to be fixed to the parcel (this is a little green sticker the sending Post Office provides) to say that the contents are timber samples, or whatever.

If the parcel goes by sea freight, there is an inspection charge of $A80 at the Oz end. On the other hand, if mailed, the package is intercepted by the AQIS automatically (by virtue of the green sticker,) and the contents inspected and then sent on, all without charge.

Mike Field
Thanks for the reminder about quarantine, Greg. I've checked with our Quarantine Service here, and there are no problems as long as they get a chance to inspect the parcel before delivery.

In case any other Aussies are interested in the procedure, a declaration needs to be fixed to the parcel (this is a little green sticker the sending Post Office provides) to say that the contents are timber samples, or whatever.

If the parcel goes by sea freight, there is an inspection charge of $A80 at the Oz end. On the other hand, if mailed, the package is intercepted by the AQIS automatically (by virtue of the green sticker,) and the contents inspected and then sent on, all without charge.

Mike Field

dadadata
12-07-2000, 11:10 PM
We certainly have black locust here (Eastern Shore of Maryland) where it's pretty much a weed tree though I've seen some big 'uns. I've made cleats & such from bits of it as after every hurricane there are baulks and bolts littering the roadsides or if someone builds a house and clears the weed patch they cut up the locust... and the trick seems to be doing most of the sawing &c while it's not too dry.

After that, and I'm not kidding, I use files and just pretend I'm working with aluminum.

The driftwood around here which lasts the longest is - in no order - black locust, osage orange (only a little but it shows up) and red cedar (really virginia juniper) - enormous amounts of that.

Some wood book said there's a strain of locust up long island way which was called Shipmast Locust because it grew tall without branches. I suppose on a full-rigged ship a little extra weight won't matter. <chuckle>

dadadata
We certainly have black locust here (Eastern Shore of Maryland) where it's pretty much a weed tree though I've seen some big 'uns. I've made cleats & such from bits of it as after every hurricane there are baulks and bolts littering the roadsides or if someone builds a house and clears the weed patch they cut up the locust... and the trick seems to be doing most of the sawing &c while it's not too dry.

After that, and I'm not kidding, I use files and just pretend I'm working with aluminum.

The driftwood around here which lasts the longest is - in no order - black locust, osage orange (only a little but it shows up) and red cedar (really virginia juniper) - enormous amounts of that.

Some wood book said there's a strain of locust up long island way which was called Shipmast Locust because it grew tall without branches. I suppose on a full-rigged ship a little extra weight won't matter. <chuckle>

dadadata

Eb
12-08-2000, 08:53 AM
Shipmast locust as I understand it is a phenotype of Robina pseudoacacia that is being propagated through rooted cuttings to preserve the tall "shipmast" form of growth. Don't think the name indicates a use of the tree.

Look around here;
http://www.blacklocust.org/whylocust.html

Eb

Eb
Shipmast locust as I understand it is a phenotype of Robina pseudoacacia that is being propagated through rooted cuttings to preserve the tall "shipmast" form of growth. Don't think the name indicates a use of the tree.

Look around here;

Eb

Eb

Look around here;

Eb