PDA

View Full Version : DUCT TAPE GOO

davebrown63
04-02-2001, 03:29 PM
Salty Dogs: My good brother loaned me his runabout, which has a german made convertible top (i.e., ungodly expensive)similar to a convertible auto top. While puttering about, it began to rain, and noticing two small holes in the top, NOT WILLING TO LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE, I put two pieces of duct tape on the canvas.

My brother has agreed that he will not kill me if I can just get the duct tape goo off the canvas top. Can anyone recommend a product that will take the goo off without damaging the canvas waterproofing? THANKS

davebrown63
Salty Dogs: My good brother loaned me his runabout, which has a german made convertible top (i.e., ungodly expensive)similar to a convertible auto top. While puttering about, it began to rain, and noticing two small holes in the top, NOT WILLING TO LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE, I put two pieces of duct tape on the canvas.

My brother has agreed that he will not kill me if I can just get the duct tape goo off the canvas top. Can anyone recommend a product that will take the goo off without damaging the canvas waterproofing? THANKS

davebrown63

Frank Wentzel
04-02-2001, 03:53 PM
Try "Goo-Gone". It should be available in the adhesives department in a hardware store. Or you might try "Goof-Off", a product for removing dryed latex paint. Should be available from the paint section of a hardware store or paint shop.

[This message has been edited by Frank Wentzel (edited 04-02-2001).]

Frank Wentzel
Try "Goo-Gone". It should be available in the adhesives department in a hardware store. Or you might try "Goof-Off", a product for removing dryed latex paint. Should be available from the paint section of a hardware store or paint shop.

Frank Wentzel

Ian McColgin
04-02-2001, 03:58 PM
Some things are eternal. Remind your brother that he'll burn in eternity if he removes duct tape from anything, ever. And he'll be bound, in his torment, by duct tape.

Ian McColgin
Some things are eternal. Remind your brother that he'll burn in eternity if he removes duct tape from anything, ever. And he'll be bound, in his torment, by duct tape.

Ian McColgin

Don Maurer
04-02-2001, 06:18 PM
How about putting a bag of ice cubes on it until it solidifies and then picking it off?

Don Maurer
How about putting a bag of ice cubes on it until it solidifies and then picking it off?

Don Maurer

TomRobb
04-03-2001, 12:25 PM
Kerosene?

TomRobb
Kerosene?

TomRobb
Kerosene?

Ed Harrow
04-03-2001, 12:43 PM
Mayo?

Ed Harrow
Mayo?

Ed Harrow
Mayo?

htom
04-03-2001, 03:55 PM
Goo Gone or De-Solv-It will take it off, but they'll probably also take off the waterproofing. If you use them, do so by dipping a q-tip in the cleaner and dabbing it on the duct tape goo. Don't rub it onto the fabric itself.

htom
Goo Gone or De-Solv-It will take it off, but they'll probably also take off the waterproofing. If you use them, do so by dipping a q-tip in the cleaner and dabbing it on the duct tape goo. Don't rub it onto the fabric itself.

htom

bob goeckel
04-03-2001, 04:26 PM
if you've ever read the book"one hundred uses for duct tape" use #37 states the best solution for duct tape goo is to ducttape over it. http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/wink.gif

bob goeckel
if you've ever read the book"one hundred uses for duct tape" use #37 states the best solution for duct tape goo is to ducttape over it. http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/wink.gif

bob goeckel

Ed Harrow
04-03-2001, 04:41 PM
See if you can get a copy of Eloise's (sp?) Helpful hints. All kinds of stuff in there about getting rid of all kinds of stuff. It might have been there I read about using Mayo.

There were some stains on the bandsaw I was given that resisted everything I tried on them. For reasons I will never know, I tried a bit of Never-dull on them and they came right off. No rubbing, no scratches.

Here's an idea: http://www.pandorum.com/archive/0005.shtml

[This message has been edited by Ed Harrow (edited 04-03-2001).]

Ed Harrow
See if you can get a copy of Eloise's (sp?) Helpful hints. All kinds of stuff in there about getting rid of all kinds of stuff. It might have been there I read about using Mayo.

There were some stains on the bandsaw I was given that resisted everything I tried on them. For reasons I will never know, I tried a bit of Never-dull on them and they came right off. No rubbing, no scratches.

Ed Harrow

htom
04-04-2001, 12:57 AM
Parents say to use mineral oil. ?!?

htom

htom

Dave Carnell
04-04-2001, 07:20 AM
Mineral spirits will take it off without much effect on material.

Lighter fluid will do as well and dry much quicker.

Dave Carnell

Dave Carnell

Norm Harris
04-04-2001, 06:43 PM
Best part about Dave's answer is that not only does lighter fluid work, but lighter fluid and a match works really fast, dries super fast, and you'll never have to worry about whether the goo came off or not

Norm Harris
Best part about Dave's answer is that not only does lighter fluid work, but lighter fluid and a match works really fast, dries super fast, and you'll never have to worry about whether the goo came off or not

Norm Harris

Dave R
04-05-2001, 10:54 AM
Actually if you use the match the canvas will go away and you'll be left with the goo. We use Deatchol from Ferndale Laboratories here at the hospital for removing goo. It's not even harmful to the patients.

Dave R
Actually if you use the match the canvas will go away and you'll be left with the goo. We use Deatchol from Ferndale Laboratories here at the hospital for removing goo. It's not even harmful to the patients.

Dave R