PDA

View Full Version : Varg

RFNK
06-08-2014, 08:08 AM
I see Varg is featured on the cover of the new WB. Readers will be interested to know that Varg came awfully close to disaster earlier this year. http://www.australianwoodenboatfestival.com.au/websites/awbf/userdocuments/Newsletter%20April%202014.pdf

Rick

PeterSibley
06-08-2014, 07:39 PM
Thanks Rick, things can go wrong extremely quickly on the the Channel, blue sky one minute and all hell 10 minutes later.

That was a very skilful rescue !

RFNK
06-08-2014, 08:51 PM
Thanks Rick, things can go wrong extremely quickly on the the Channel, blue sky one minute and all hell 10 minutes later.

That was a very skilful rescue !

I first heard about it in Afloat but I can't find an online version of that report. I did read a letter in Afloat that followed though, from a witness who was full of praise for the crew of Solquest. There seems little doubt that the Solquest skipper and crew saved Varg from an awful lot of damage, and possibly worse.

Rick

John B
06-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Wow.

Paul Fitzgerald
06-08-2014, 09:31 PM
We were waiting for the ferry on Bruny Island at the time, had planned to take the boat but the forecast was not good.

Saw the whole thing, Solquest made about six passes to finally get a line to Varg.

Once they started the tow they couldn't make headway back to Kettering, so they went into Barnes Bay to hide behind a headland till it blew over.

Excellent seamanship and perseverance, Varg was headed for the rocks on Roberts Point if they missed the line.

It was an amazing blow, our power was out for 24 hours and mobile coverage was out for days.

There is still the wreck of a boat on Quarantine Point, a big catamaran flipped and became a write off, lots of damage on the Kettering Moorings.

Interestingly Solquest is a wooden boat designed by Bob Perry, has starred on a couple of Matthew Evan's Gourmet Farmer shows on SBS.

RFNK
06-09-2014, 01:26 AM
The name Solquest seems familiar. Have we seen her at Wooden Boat Festivals Paul?

Rick

Paul Fitzgerald
06-09-2014, 02:25 AM
Quite possibly.

She is also on the marina at Kettering, a permanent Wooden Boat Show there.

RFNK
06-09-2014, 04:13 AM
AWBF 2013. https://www.flickr.com/photos/james975/8456931681/

Rick

bamamick
06-11-2014, 07:49 PM
I remember reading how she sailed through that storm. Very cool.

Mickey Lake