PDA

View Full Version : Bilge history made

Boater14
06-03-2014, 06:48 AM
At about 8:24 last night a guy from clarksville PA, K. Potter, admitted he listened to Rush Limbaugh. He is the first person to admit what we know about many of you. He's a new guy and didn't know you doggedly stick to the story that you never listen to Rush even though you sound exactly like him. Some have Grant, FDR and General James Gavin for role models, some have a fat, pill popping, comedian. But today, hats off to Potter.

changeng
06-03-2014, 07:00 AM
:confused:.

Phillip Allen
06-03-2014, 07:04 AM
:confused:.

I understand even if you don't :)

Keith Wilson
06-03-2014, 07:08 AM
Sure, there's something to be said for candor.

Phillip Allen
06-03-2014, 07:13 AM
Sure, there's something to be said for candor.

ain't that some kind of vulture?

TomF
06-03-2014, 07:28 AM
ain't that some kind of vulture?That's not a very nice way to speak of Limbaugh, however accurate.

Well done, Mr. Potter.

Paul Pless
06-03-2014, 07:35 AM
i predict mr potter will not be here long
he's woefully antsy to go on a racist rant

hanleyclifford
06-03-2014, 07:42 AM
I don't mind admitting to listening to Rush, for maybe 10 or 15 minutes at a stretch. But it can get tedious.

skuthorp
06-03-2014, 07:45 AM
There's posters I read here just to keep an eye on them, but I'd never admit it.:arg

Draketail
06-03-2014, 07:57 AM
I listened to Rush once, 25 years ago, by accident, for about 10 min, on somebody else's radio, in their office. That was enough for me.

Paul Pless
06-03-2014, 08:02 AM
I listened to Rush once, 25 years ago, by accident, for about 10 min, on somebody else's radio, in their office. That was enough for me.aint that the truth!

last time i listened to him was on martin luther king jr day; i stepped out of my truck at a gas station in rural tennessee; redneck next to me had it blasting from his radio - it was inescapable

and the content was disgusting

Boater14
06-03-2014, 08:12 AM
I had a no talk radio rule in the office. Turned into a no radio rule when I got complaints over dueling Toby kieth, JS Bach and nirvana. I guess I'm just a prideful NE liberal but when you read Rush's bio, how could you let him tell you anything? Today....POTTER RULES.

Paul Pless
06-03-2014, 08:18 AM
I had a no talk radio rule in the office. Turned into a no radio rule when I got complaints over dueling Toby kieth, JS Bach and nirvana.

i listen to npr at home from 5:00 am till 7:00 pm; then usually albums or concerts or sometimes audio books in the shop at night

i have npr on in my office and let the guys that work for me decide what they listen to in each of their buildings of which there are four - fortunately my manager and myself have similar taste in music and we usually work together in the same building; when the guys are working outside i have no problem with them listening to their ipods with head phones on

oznabrag
06-03-2014, 09:44 AM
i predict mr potter will not be here long he's woefully antsy to go on a racist rant You mean he's gonna give us a dose of the old 'No Mixin', or a round of 'Natural Law Rights'? Apparently, neither of those are bannable.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
06-03-2014, 09:46 AM
Some years ago, I remarked here that I had heard Mr Limbaugh interviewed on BBC radio and that he had described himself, not as a political commentator, but as an entertainer.

That was the only time that I have listened to him.

Boater14
06-03-2014, 10:13 AM
I'll give him that. I heard him say it's all about ratings. Like The Brady Bunch or Eastenders. And these idiots think it's about politics. We liberals know Matthews and Madow are entertainers, that's why we don't quote them. Besides, my copy of The Guns Of August is older than Madow.

bobbys
06-03-2014, 11:14 AM
I'll give him that. I heard him say it's all about ratings. Like The Brady Bunch or Eastenders. And these idiots think it's about politics. We liberals know Matthews and Madow are entertainers, that's why we don't quote them. Besides, my copy of The Guns Of August is older than Madow..

We get almost daily(pun) updates from Jon steward from the comedy channel here.

htom
06-03-2014, 11:16 AM
I've said I listen to him. He's an entertainer, an old-fashioned circus barker. I used to be one, too, on radio. He is -so- good at what he does. The job is to draw a crowd and sell the sponsors' products. He invented his own schtick, does it very well, and keeps his audience laughing and coming back for more. That's why liberal talk radio doesn't work: they try to sell with outraged woe rather than with laughter.

"Tragedy tomorrow, comedy tonight!" has worked for at least 2600 years, and probably longer.

bobbys
06-03-2014, 11:21 AM
Popular radio shows in the United States[edit]
The total listenership for terrestrial radio as of March 2014 was 244 million,[2] up from 230 million in 2005.[3] Sirius XM Radio has a base of 25.6 million subscribers as of 2014.[4] American Top 40 attracts over 20 million listeners per week.[5] Rush Limbaugh's show has been the number one commercial talk show since at least 1991 when record keeping began.[1][6] NPR's Morning Edition and All Things Considered are the two most popular news programs.[7]

Until the development of portable people meters, Arbitron did not have the capability to measure individual airings of a program the way Nielsen Ratings can for television, and as such, it only measures in three-month moving averages each month. Portable people meters are currently only available in the largest markets Arbitron serves. Thus, it is impossible under current survey techniques to determine the listenership of an individual event such as the Super Bowl.

Talkers Magazine compiles Arbitron's data, along with other sources, to estimate the minimum weekly audiences of various commercial long-form talk radio shows; its list is updated monthly.[8] NPR and APM compile Arbitron's data for its public radio shows and releases analysis through press releases.[7][9][10][11]

Included is a list of the most-listened-to radio shows in the United States according to weekly cumulative listenership, followed by a selection of shows of various formats that are most-listened-to within their category. (Unless otherwise noted, the Talkers estimate is the source.)

Program Format Daypart Weekly Listeners
in Millions
The Rush Limbaugh Show Conservative talk Midday 14+
The Sean Hannity Show Conservative talk East Coast PM Drive 13.25+
Morning Edition Public news AM Drive 12.3[12]
All Things Considered Public news/talk PM Drive 11.8[12]
Delilah Adult contemporary Evenings 8.8[13]
Marketplace Public news PM Drive 8.7[14][15]
The Dave Ramsey Show Financial talk Midday 7.75+
The Glenn Beck Program Conservative talk West Coast AM Drive 7.5+
The Mark Levin Show Conservative talk West Coast PM Drive 7.5+
The Savage Nation Conservative talk East Coast PM Drive 5+
Fresh Air Public news/talk Midday 4.5[16]
A Prairie Home Companion Public old-time radio Weekends 4.3[14]
Coast to Coast AM Paranormal talk Overnights 3.25+
Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me! Public panel game show Weekends 3.2[17]
The Lia Show Country music Evenings 2+[18]

Boater14
06-03-2014, 11:32 AM
Bobby....he's a comedian. On the left we know our comedians. We get bill o up the kazoo here. How many liberals are cutting and pasting Chris Matthews? NPR shows on your list surprise me. That's why right targets funding. Can't allow any smidgen of the facts on the air. Glenn beck sold doomsday to the toothless while he sold gold.

Paul Pless
06-03-2014, 11:34 AM
He's an entertainer, an old-fashioned circus barker. I used to be one, too, on radio. He is -so- good at what he does. The job is to draw a crowd and sell the sponsors' products. He invented his own schtick, does it very well, and keeps his audience laughing and coming back for more. That's why liberal talk radio doesn't work: they try to sell with outraged woe rather than with laughter. regardless of his politics, he's boring as ****, says the same exact **** over and over again for days at a time, claims he's the smartest man in the room but never ever says anything brilliant; all that plus he laughs at his own jokes. . .

Phillip Allen
06-03-2014, 11:38 AM
regardless of his politics, he's boring as ****, says the same exact **** over and over again for days at a time, claims he's the smartest man in the room but never ever says anything brilliant; all that plus he laughs at his own jokes. . .

"says the same exact **** over and over again for days at a time"

kinds sounds like the anti-gun crowd down here, don't it?
or the anti-Bush crowd
or the global-warming crowd and
on and on and on...

Paul Pless
06-03-2014, 11:39 AM
"says the same exact **** over and over again for days at a time"

kinds sounds like the anti-gun crowd down here, don't it?
or the anti-Bush crowd
or the global-warming crwod and
on and on and on...

or the anti cop crowd

BETTY-B
06-03-2014, 11:42 AM
Rush Limbaugh's show has been the number one commercial talk show since at least 1991 when record keeping began.[1]

This number is terribly inaccurate as to what people would listen to if they had a choice. His show is given away for free in exchange for a percentage of the hourly advertizing time. Rush gets a little cash for a national advertising spot rather than the rural radio station paying for it strait up with syndication fees. And he puts the local radio personalities out of a job. Sorta like a radio version of Walmart... only fatter.

Phillip Allen
06-03-2014, 11:43 AM
or the anti cop crowd

heck no... there is a new incident of criminal cop every day... so not the same old stuff over and over

John of Phoenix
06-03-2014, 12:13 PM
"I'm an entertainer." Just another of his lies. The CPAC/RWW crowd kisses his feet and he eats it up. He's their Messiah it there ever was one.

John of Phoenix
06-03-2014, 12:14 PM
or the anti cop crowdCrowd? It just seems like it cuz of the quantity.

David G
06-03-2014, 01:26 PM
I'm a liberal... and a redneck... and I've listened to Rush a lot. Well... not THAT much, but it sure SEEMED like a lot. You see, I have a good buddy who is a huge dittohead. He and I used to commute to work together. On my driving days - music. On his - Rush. So we'd listen... and argue. I couldn't believe someone as smart, kind, Christain, family-oriented, and well-read as he could swallow that blather. But he did - each and every time. Even when I could demonstrate that Rush was inarguably wrong as to his assertions... my friend would simply pivot to some new balloon of bombast to ride on high. <sigh>

Boater14
06-03-2014, 01:31 PM
Did he sing along when Rush played BARACK THE MAGIC NEGRO or did he switch the station in outrage?

David G
06-03-2014, 01:35 PM
This was years ago - pre-Obama.

Sky Blue
06-03-2014, 01:43 PM
Drift... David G's anecdote reminds me of an interesting theory that I heard described drawing a parallel between the suburbanization of America and the rise of right wing radio with the co-incidental rightward drift in American political life.

The essence of it was all of these middle and working-class individuals stuck in traffic every morning and every afternoon and accordingly psychologically disposed to aggression, anger, boredom and stress. Right wing radio feeds right into these psychological conditions and these people get their daily dose, twice a day, just like taking medicine, and something about this feels "good" and appeals to them. The more they hear it, the better they like it, and the better they like it, the more comforted they are by it. Interesting idea, at least to me.

Drift over, carry on...

Boater14
06-03-2014, 02:31 PM
No, makes sense to me. I'm retired but going fishing early I'm amazed at what bozos the early AM talkers are and wonder who'd want to be associated with them. Thank god for NPR although you can only hear so many stories about alcoholism on Indian reservations or autism spectrum.

bobbys
06-03-2014, 02:34 PM
This number is terribly inaccurate as to what people would listen to if they had a choice. His show is given away for free in exchange for a percentage of the hourly advertizing time. Rush gets a little cash for a national advertising spot rather than the rural radio station paying for it strait up with syndication fees. And he puts the local radio personalities out of a job. Sorta like a radio version of Walmart... only fatter.

There have been many copycats from the left to do what he does.

They all failed..

look at the list again, people chose conservatives in the free market.

bobbys
06-03-2014, 02:37 PM
I'm a liberal... and a redneck... and I've listened to Rush a lot. Well... not THAT much, but it sure SEEMED like a lot. You see, I have a good buddy who is a huge dittohead. He and I used to commute to work together. On my driving days - music. On his - Rush. So we'd listen... and argue. I couldn't believe someone as smart, kind, Christain, family-oriented, and well-read as he could swallow that blather. But he did - each and every time. Even when I could demonstrate that Rush was inarguably wrong as to his assertions... my friend would simply pivot to some new balloon of bombast to ride on high. <sigh>

Rush has been no. 1 since 1991, maybe it's you..........

oznabrag
06-03-2014, 02:38 PM

No. There have not.

.They all failed..

They did not exist, therefore they could not have failed.

.look at the list again, people chose conservatives in the free market.

No. The people who choose to listen to hate radio are 'conservatives'.

ccmanuals
06-03-2014, 02:39 PM
McDonalds sells more burgers than anyone else but I think I'll pass on them as well.

htom
06-03-2014, 02:41 PM

They all failed..

look at the list again, people chose conservatives in the free market.

They failed because they tried to imitate Rush and they were not funny. In this case, funny means "keeps the audience entertained, helps the audience laugh". You can make your audience cry, that's actually a good thing to do in some ways, but you can't serve up a steady diet of only grief and woe. That turns people off, and they turn you off. If they were to poke fun at the conservatives, hoist some of the liberal extremists, ... but no, woe, woe, woe.

bobbys
06-03-2014, 02:42 PM
"I'm an entertainer." Just another of his lies. The CPAC/RWW crowd kisses his feet and he eats it up. He's their Messiah it there ever was one.

There's more evidence liberals here have a cult of personality for O bama.

bobbys
06-03-2014, 02:44 PM
McDonalds sells more burgers than anyone else but I think I'll pass on them as well..

You can pass but in a free market if a inferior burger place opens it will not succeed.

ccmanuals
06-03-2014, 02:47 PM

You can pass but in a free market if a inferior burger place opens it will not succeed.

Unless it's cheaper. :)

bobbys
06-03-2014, 02:51 PM
No. There have not.

They did not exist, therefore they could not have failed.

No. The people who choose to listen to hate radio are 'conservatives'..

Air America, Mario Cuomo, Jim Hightower..

Phillip Allen
06-03-2014, 02:52 PM
They failed because they tried to imitate Rush and they were not funny. In this case, funny means "keeps the audience entertained, helps the audience laugh". You can make your audience cry, that's actually a good thing to do in some ways, but you can't serve up a steady diet of only grief and woe. That turns people off, and they turn you off. If they were to poke fun at the conservatives, hoist some of the liberal extremists, ... but no, woe, woe, woe.

the reason I think that our lefties here listen to fox and Limbaugh so religiously is that they love to feel righteously outraged... it's an exchange... Rush and fox gives them something to gnash their teeth at and they, in exchange, shout and rend their clothes... one side entertains the other in a symbiotic relationship :)

David G
06-03-2014, 03:32 PM

More cowflop.

Sorry... you've now fully extinguished the honeymoon period of your re-emergence. And, sadly, you've squandered itl

If you won't avail yourself of the offerings of CCC... how about if you read one book. Just one to maybe jump-start your brain. The True Believer, by Eric Hoffer. It was written long before Obama, or Rush, or Ronald Reagan. And yet it still applies to much of what is written in the Bilge. I believe you're smart enough to grasp the contents. I hope so, anyway.

htom
06-03-2014, 03:40 PM
the reason I think that our lefties here listen to fox and Limbaugh so religiously is that they love to feel righteously outraged... it's an exchange... Rush and fox gives them something to gnash their teeth at and they, in exchange, shout and rend their clothes... one side entertains the other in a symbiotic relationship :)

I don't know about here, but I was introduced to Rush by a pair of far-left wingers, who were so livid about what he dared to say that I listened. And laughed. I tried to explain to them what was happening, and they just got angry at me. Refused to see how he was living rent-free in their minds.

Phillip Allen
06-03-2014, 03:44 PM
I don't know about here, but I was introduced to Rush by a pair of far-left wingers, who were so livid about what he dared to say that I listened. And laughed. I tried to explain to them what was happening, and they just got angry at me. Refused to see how he was living rent-free in their minds.

that's about it :):):)

David G
06-03-2014, 03:44 PM
htom - it sounds like you recognized him for a clown from the first. Good for you. But you, then, would not be his typical audience. Having known several regular Rush listeners... they actually DO take him seriously. Therein lies his danger. And those who see danger, I believe, are morally obligated to shout out a warning.

Phillip Allen
06-03-2014, 04:08 PM
htom - it sounds like you recognized him for a clown from the first. Good for you. But you, then, would not be his typical audience. Having known several regular Rush listeners... they actually DO take him seriously. Therein lies his danger. And those who see danger, I believe, are morally obligated to shout out a warning.

WATCH OUT FOR COP CRIMINALS... how's that? :)

bobbys
06-03-2014, 04:29 PM
BS...evidence McDonalds!
If I could not make a better burger than McDonalds on my backyard grill I'd cut my throat!
There is a huge difference between marketing savvy and a good burger...evidence McDonalds.
Same way with Limbaugh...he appeals to a few million people with no taste or brains who call him "entertaining", like you!

If you have to dialogue with insults such as no taste or no brains your comments are immaterial.

bobbys
06-03-2014, 04:31 PM
More cowflop.

Sorry... you've now fully extinguished the honeymoon period of your re-emergence. And, sadly, you've squandered itl

If you won't avail yourself of the offerings of CCC... how about if you read one book. Just one to maybe jump-start your brain. The True Believer, by Eric Hoffer. It was written long before Obama, or Rush, or Ronald Reagan. And yet it still applies to much of what is written in the Bilge. I believe you're smart enough to grasp the contents. I hope so, anyway.

I was not aware we entered in a marriage contract nor was I aware I was in your book of the month club.

Phillip Allen
06-03-2014, 04:37 PM
Glen... this is the most intelect you ever seem to display... it is very rude and certainly shows a limit to your contributions here... I hope you get well soon

bobbys
06-03-2014, 04:39 PM
..."I was not aware"...

Bingo!:)

You have to follow the posts to insert a legitimate reply, something you dispensed with out of hand..".

But thank you for your imput.

bobbys
06-03-2014, 04:40 PM
Glen... this is the most intelect you ever seem to display... it is very rude and certainly shows a limit to your contributions here... I hope you get well soon
You. Might observe the same thing they accuse RUSH of doing is the thing they love to do.

David G
06-03-2014, 04:46 PM
bbbbbys - I keep opening the door for opportunity. And you keep punching him in the nose and throwing Kook-aid on him. You DO know that he eventually runs out of patience, and quits knocking, doncha? He knows that the ignorant frequently are more comfortable reveling in their ignorance than in stretching themselves to rectify the problem... and he makes allowances. But you still only get so many chances in life.

Phillip Allen
06-03-2014, 04:47 PM
You. Might observe the same thing they accuse RUSH of doing is the thing they love to do.

yep... but they don't see it

bobbys
06-03-2014, 04:49 PM
bbbbbys - I keep opening the door for opportunity. And you keep punching him in the nose and throwing Kook-aid on him. You DO know that he eventually runs out of patience, and quits knocking, doncha? He knows that the ignorant frequently are more comfortable reveling in their ignorance than in stretching themselves to rectify the problem... and he makes allowances. But you still only get so many chances in life.

I had no idea you are the doorkeeper of opportunity..

If so I could have used you a few times in my life..

But thank you for parceling out "chances".

Chances are a funny thing, the harder I worked the more appeared.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
06-03-2014, 04:51 PM
Now Bobby, you play nice, or I'll give your father the pipewrench again when he comes home.

bobbys
06-03-2014, 04:52 PM

Smart, kind, family oriented?.

Sounds as if he is well grounded.

maybe because he listens to R ush.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
06-03-2014, 04:53 PM
Rush limbaugh is there to increase advertiser revenue. That's all.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
06-03-2014, 04:56 PM
Ban Bobbys

S.V. Airlie
06-03-2014, 04:57 PM
And I got a PM from Scot telling me to cool it! Nuff said!

Peter Malcolm Jardine
06-03-2014, 04:58 PM
Okay, I pronounce this thread officially closed to all those that I like, and you know who you are. Start another thread, this one's toast.

David G
06-03-2014, 05:00 PM

I had no idea you are the doorkeeper of opportunity..

If so I could have used you a few times in my life..

But thank you for parceling out "chances".

Chances are a funny thing, the harder I worked the more appeared.

There you've got it. Now just put it into action!!! Quit settling. Educate yourself. Take a step outside your comfort zone. You are NOT stupid... and there's no reason you have to stay ignorant, or allow yourself to be misguided, your whole life. I know you're set in your ways, but - really - it's NOT too late to wake up.

Keith Wilson
06-03-2014, 05:08 PM
Back a ways, re Mr. Limbaugh: He broadcasts political commentary which is filled with factual errors - perhaps mistakes, perhaps lies, but most certainly factually incorrect. He presents them as facts, and when called on it retreats behind "it's only entertainment" which I presume means that the truth doesn't matter. This is neither honest nor honorable. All by himself, he bears a large portion of the responsibility for the current extremism of the US right, and the bitter polarization in American politics.

S.V. Airlie
06-03-2014, 05:10 PM
Sounds like you listen to him Keith!

Keith Wilson
06-03-2014, 05:19 PM
Sounds like you listen to him Keith!I do not.

Lew Barrett
06-03-2014, 06:05 PM
Sounds like you listen to him.......!

I do not.

This is an illustrative interchange. A guy more likely to listen to Rush accuses a guy considerably and obviously less likely to partake of Rush's entertainment. Neither would admit to listening to Rush, but one guy is considerably more aligned with the "philosophy" than another. Neither will likely admit to wasting time on the sweaty yenta, but one can honestly and believably say he doesn't, whereas there will always be some doubt about the other.

And so we return to Post #1 as the Great Circle of Life continues.

At about 8:24 last night a guy from clarksville PA, K. Potter, admitted he listened to Rush Limbaugh. He is the first person to admit what we know about many of you. He's a new guy and didn't know you doggedly stick to the story that you never listen to Rush even though you sound exactly like him. Some have Grant, FDR and General James Gavin for role models, some have a fat, pill popping, comedian. But today, hats off to Potter.

John Smith
06-03-2014, 06:26 PM
Some years ago, I remarked here that I had heard Mr Limbaugh interviewed on BBC radio and that he had described himself, not as a political commentator, but as an entertainer.

That was the only time that I have listened to him.

Al Franken wrote a book documenting the extent to which Limbaugh makes up "facts." Limbaugh's response was that, as an entertainer, he has no allegiance to facts.

When Franken had his radio show, he had his hold friend, Mark, a ditto head, on virtually every day for a long time. Every day Franken to prove to Mark that the facts Rush used the day before to support his point were simply false. Mark would agree the facts were dishonest, but the point they supported, he believed, was still valid.

Franken would ask why Rush couldn't use honest facts to support a valid point. That just went on and on and on.

John Smith
06-03-2014, 06:27 PM
I don't think many see the true genius of Limbaugh. Remember his comments on Sandra Fluke? Remember how the media covered his comments, and not her testimony? That was Rush's plan, and the media fell for it.

Keith Wilson
06-03-2014, 06:34 PM
I listened to Mr. Limbaugh for maybe ten minutes twenty years ago. That was enough, and more than enough. Life is much too short to waste one's time listening to that. I have occasionally read about him since then.

I will be very pleased to vote for Mr Franken's second term in the Senate this fall.

S.V. Airlie
06-03-2014, 06:39 PM
This is an illustrative interchange. A guy more likely to listen to Rush accuses a guy considerably and obviously less likely to partake of Rush's entertainment. Neither would admit to listening to Rush, but one guy is considerably more aligned with the "philosophy" than another. Neither will likely admit to wasting time on the sweaty yenta, but one can honestly and believably say he doesn't, whereas there will always be some doubt about the other.

And so we return to Post #1 as the Great Circle of Life continues.You assume too much, as is often the case! I may have listened to Rush one day. only good reception...for a max of 10 minutes in my life. But, you can tell me and pout how much I've listened to him if it makes you happy.

Boater14
06-03-2014, 07:18 PM
The point here is that Rush is a) an entertainer who b) is driven by ratings and c) has no allegiance to the truth and Potter is telling me that I prove Rush's point (I think that liberals are hypocrites). Is Potter so obtuse that he doesn't get that Rush's point is getting richer and richer? I'm a liberal and if I could make Rush's money for running my mouth I'd do it to. That bouncing up and down? Ever know a speed freak? He's on speed full time...the profuse sweating... Broadcasting from the studio on his estate. Law can't touch him without probable cause.

Lew Barrett
06-03-2014, 08:28 PM
You assume too much, as is often the case! I may have listened to Rush one day. only good reception...for a max of 10 minutes in my life. But, you can tell me and pout how much I've listened to him if it makes you happy.

I wouldn't presume to know what you listen to. Why did you presume with Keith? Did you think it was funny?

You missed the point, "as is often the case."

S.V. Airlie
06-04-2014, 06:12 AM
I wouldn't presume to know what you listen to. Why did you presume with Keith? Did you think it was funny?

You missed the point, "as is often the case."I didn't just ignored this thread as much as possible!.