PDA

View Full Version : Port light replacement

Todd Schliemann
09-19-2000, 10:43 PM
I will be replacing my port lights this winter. I might as well do it as I'm stripping the cabinsides and revarnishing anyway. Presently they are some sort of plexiglass, thickness unknown, but very thin. They still frost up nicely after a dowsing of salt water, even after fresh. I have polished, and polished, but they seem to be fatigued and yellowing.

The question is polycarbonate or glass? Strength is an issue. The largest is about 14" x 6" diminishing from there. Four lights per side. Outside bronze flange, rabbeted mahogany cabinside inside.

What's standard issue here?

[This message has been edited by Todd Schliemann (edited 09-19-2000).]

Todd Schliemann
I will be replacing my port lights this winter. I might as well do it as I'm stripping the cabinsides and revarnishing anyway. Presently they are some sort of plexiglass, thickness unknown, but very thin. They still frost up nicely after a dowsing of salt water, even after fresh. I have polished, and polished, but they seem to be fatigued and yellowing.

The question is polycarbonate or glass? Strength is an issue. The largest is about 14" x 6" diminishing from there. Four lights per side. Outside bronze flange, rabbeted mahogany cabinside inside.

Todd Schliemann

TomRobb
09-20-2000, 06:48 AM
I know you hear about a lot of Lexan being used, but I wonder if laminated glass, of the sort used in automobile windshields, wouldn't be better? Just wondering....

TomRobb
I know you hear about a lot of Lexan being used, but I wonder if laminated glass, of the sort used in automobile windshields, wouldn't be better? Just wondering....

TomRobb

Ron Williamson
09-20-2000, 11:56 AM
I would use laminated (windshield) glass.It will crack after a hard hit but not fall out.High quality plastic (UV stable)isn't much cheaper and WILL scratch.
Tempered glass will break into something like rock salt.

Ron Williamson
I would use laminated (windshield) glass.It will crack after a hard hit but not fall out.High quality plastic (UV stable)isn't much cheaper and WILL scratch.

Ron Williamson

Todd Schliemann
09-26-2000, 11:13 PM
Been tapping on everyone's port lights recently.
Single pane glass for the very small, extremely classic, "original, watch it buster," port lights. Fragile.
Very large or very frosted (just like mine), polycarbonate, "Hammer it. No, go ahead."
Other, laminated glass, "you got me, it's been there forever." BINGO!

The only problem I've seen with laminated glass is that some have water contamination creeping into the interlayer and making interesting colors. If caulked well, this should not be a problem. Clear, strong, and forever. Will find out the price tag and be back.

Todd Schliemann
Single pane glass for the very small, extremely classic, "original, watch it buster," port lights. Fragile.
Very large or very frosted (just like mine), polycarbonate, "Hammer it. No, go ahead."

The only problem I've seen with laminated glass is that some have water contamination creeping into the interlayer and making interesting colors. If caulked well, this should not be a problem. Clear, strong, and forever. Will find out the price tag and be back.

Todd Schliemann