PDA

View Full Version : Sail Covers

Ed Nye
01-01-2001, 09:10 PM
My sail covers are about 15 years old. Still in great shape, except; they don't shed water the way they used to. I noticed this when I replaced a small panel that had been damaged. You know that Sunbrella never seems to change appearance, byte, the water no longer beads and runs off.

The punch line is, what is available to renew the water sheding properities? I want the covers to look the same after as they did prior to treatment. Who has some suggestions they will share?

Thanks, Ed

Ed Nye
My sail covers are about 15 years old. Still in great shape, except; they don't shed water the way they used to. I noticed this when I replaced a small panel that had been damaged. You know that Sunbrella never seems to change appearance, byte, the water no longer beads and runs off.

The punch line is, what is available to renew the water sheding properities? I want the covers to look the same after as they did prior to treatment. Who has some suggestions they will share?

Thanks, Ed

Ed Nye

Thanks, Ed

Todd Bradshaw
01-01-2001, 09:41 PM
If it needs it, clean the fabric first. Glen Raven Mills (the manufacturer) suggests a mild solution of warm water (at less than 100 degrees F) and natural soap like LUX or Ivory. Do not use detergents. Rinse well and let dry.

The fabric is treated with a fluorocarbon water repellent when new. If the fabric is less than five years old, a similar product should be used (probably the easiest to find is "303 Fabric Guard" spray). Neither the original finish or the 303 re-treatment spray are particularly compatible with the silicone spray types like Camp Dri or Rain Ban - so you don't want to mix them.

On really old covers (untreated for at least 5 years), where the original finish has worn off and there isn't enough residual to be a problem, you could use silicone spray if you had to, but it's probably better to stick with a fluoropolymer-based spray.

Todd Bradshaw
If it needs it, clean the fabric first. Glen Raven Mills (the manufacturer) suggests a mild solution of warm water (at less than 100 degrees F) and natural soap like LUX or Ivory. Do not use detergents. Rinse well and let dry.

The fabric is treated with a fluorocarbon water repellent when new. If the fabric is less than five years old, a similar product should be used (probably the easiest to find is "303 Fabric Guard" spray). Neither the original finish or the 303 re-treatment spray are particularly compatible with the silicone spray types like Camp Dri or Rain Ban - so you don't want to mix them.

On really old covers (untreated for at least 5 years), where the original finish has worn off and there isn't enough residual to be a problem, you could use silicone spray if you had to, but it's probably better to stick with a fluoropolymer-based spray.

Todd Bradshaw

Binnacle
01-27-2001, 07:28 AM
I'd like to locate a wholesale/outlet type store , or maybe even leftovers , reemnants , to make sailcovers for my 23' Friendship.
I live near Foxwoods , near Mystic CT, and
need enough for an 18' boom , and would like it in some green shade , as my Friendship is traditional green.
Appreciate any idea's ....
Binnacle E : blendplus@aol.com

Binnacle
I'd like to locate a wholesale/outlet type store , or maybe even leftovers , reemnants , to make sailcovers for my 23' Friendship.
need enough for an 18' boom , and would like it in some green shade , as my Friendship is traditional green.

Binnacle