• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LeeG
    • May 2002

Isla Vista in the news

Jesus, brilliant time and place to "play" with guns

Isla Vista - May 28th, 2014

On Tuesday, May 27, 2014, at approximately 2:30 pm, Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Deputies responded to an apartment in the 6500 block of Pardall Road for a gunshot that had come through the reporting party’s apartment wall. Deputies arrived and found that a bullet had been shot through the wall from a connecting apartment, deflected off of a TV stand and lodged into the adjacent wall, narrowly missing the resident inside. Deputies went to the suspect’s apartment and contacted the lone resident, identified as 21-year old Kevin Tym (UCSB student). When questioned, Tym admitted that he was playing with his legally owned handgun and accidentally fired a Glock 17, 9mm round through his neighbor’s wall. During a search incident to arrest, Tym was found in possession of 7 firearms and approximately 1000 rounds of ammunition. In addition, he was found in possession of high capacity assault rifle magazines. All of the firearms were legally owned by Tym.

All of Tym’s firearms, ammunition and magazines were seized. Tym was arrested and booked into jail for a violation of 246.3 PC – Negligent discharge of a firearm and 32310(a) PC – Possession of high capacity magazines. His bail was set at $2,500.
  • Flying Orca
    Ruth, feck, and gorm
    • Jan 2007

Re: Isla Vista in the news

But is he a good guy or a bad guy?

What are you doing about it?

Comment

• Willin'
      Yeah well, Dedood abides!
      • Jun 2002

Dude, everyone in IV is cool. The man is the bad guy.
      Plures Naves Quam Mentes!

More Boats Than Brains!

Comment

• Flying Orca
        Ruth, feck, and gorm
        • Jan 2007

I haven't heard of the place before, is it a stoner haven or something?

Comment

• LeeG
          • May 2002

Originally posted by Flying Orca
          But is he a good guy or a bad guy?
          Am he learning? His " timing" was off, not that he almost killed his neighbor.

A University of California, Santa Barbara student was arrested Tuesday after he accidentally fired a handgun through his Isla Vista apartment wall and through the residence next door, narrowly miss…

Tym, who told the Daily News he is a competitive shooter and keeps the guns and ammo for training and tournaments, admitted the accident was “really poor timing.”

Obviously, I’m very sorry about the whole thing,” he told The News. “It was a stupid mistake and I should have knew better"

Comment

• LeeG
            • May 2002

It has a history

Although Isla Vista is filled with 18–24 year-olds, there are very few commercial amenities for the population. Other commercial developments, such as a nearby mall (Camino Real Marketplace) and the lower State Street area of Santa Barbara have worked hard since the mid-1980s to attract Isla Vista's business, and the tax revenue associated with it. The economic development of Isla Vista has been neglected, and it remains mostly a bedroom community of young people, with an odd and eclectic commercial district.
            Last edited by LeeG; 05-29-2014, 04:15 PM.

Comment

• Flying Orca
              Ruth, feck, and gorm
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by LeeG
              "Obviously, I’m very sorry about the whole thing,” he told The News. “It was a stupid mistake and I should have knew better"
              Should of knew better, Shirley. - Ed.

Comment

• Jim Bow
                Still tender and callow f
                • Jul 2008

Should of knew better, Shirley. - Ed.
                Don't call him Shirley.
                “Come, come, my conservative friend, wipe the dew off your spectacles and see the world is moving" - Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Comment

• Hugh Conway
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2012

It's the off campus student ghetto for UCSanta Barbara - large state university with a (deserved) party reputation. crap housing, lots of students looking to get drunk/high/laid/light things on fire/riot/generally "let their hair down" 24/7/365 while spending copious amounts of their parents money or just racking up lots of debt.

Comment

• LeeG
                    • May 2002

Originally posted by Hugh Conway
                    It's the off campus student ghetto for UCSanta Barbara - large state university with a (deserved) party reputation. crap housing, lots of students looking to get drunk/high/laid/light things on fire/riot/generally "let their hair down" 24/7/365 while spending copious amounts of their parents money or just racking up lots of debt.
                    That was my recollection 30yrs ago visiting the place.

Comment

• Hugh Conway
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2012

the only thing that's changed is the kids have more money to spend, booze weed and coke are cheaper, and the police/locals don't turn the blind eye they once did.

Comment

• S.V. Airlie
                        Ancient Mariner
                        • Dec 2006

Am he learning? His " timing" was off, not that he almost killed his neighbor.

A University of California, Santa Barbara student was arrested Tuesday after he accidentally fired a handgun through his Isla Vista apartment wall and through the residence next door, narrowly miss…

Tym, who told the Daily News he is a competitive shooter and keeps the guns and ammo for training and tournaments, admitted the accident was “really poor timing.”

Obviously, I’m very sorry about the whole thing,” he told The News. “It was a stupid mistake and I should have knew better"
                        I can't find a definition of "IDIOT" worthy o his stupidity "Playing with a gun"!

Comment

• LeeG
                          • May 2002

When my ex was a student there it was four coeds in a two bedroom apt looking like a hamster nest of clothes, pizza and beer. Dumpsters were rolled into alleys Thursday night and it didn't end until Sunday.

Comment

• LeeG
                            • May 2002

Originally posted by S.V. Airlie
                            I can't find a definition of "IDIOT" worthy o his stupidity "Playing with a gun"!
                            Yep, competitive shooter so he knows gun safety living in one of the most population dense little towns in Ca.

Comment

• S.V. Airlie
                              Ancient Mariner
                              • Dec 2006

When my ex was a student there it was four coeds in a two bedroom apt looking like a hamster nest of clothes, pizza and beer. Dumpsters were rolled into alleys Thursday night and it didn't end until Sunday.
                              That sounds like the apartment upstairs but, the occupants are actually just wanna be college students. One may have gone to college but, ain't sure!

Comment

Working...