PDA

View Full Version : Forum member subscription rate reduction?

StevenBauer
05-27-2014, 05:27 PM
I see this big banner ad at the top of the page but when I click it I don't see any reduced rate. What's the scoop?

Steven

Yeadon
05-27-2014, 05:52 PM
Looks like there's an offer code on the subscription page. It's not well marked (ie "Wooden Boat Forum Member Discount"), but I bet that it is for people who clicked through from the site.

Ian McColgin
05-27-2014, 05:55 PM
Probably should charge more for Forum members who post only in the Bilge.

Dave Wright
05-27-2014, 06:18 PM
Probably should charge more for Forum members who post only in the Bilge.

Better to only allow subscribers to post in the bilge - clean up that place quickly.

David G
05-27-2014, 07:36 PM
Better to only allow subscribers to post in the bilge - clean up that place quickly.

Ooooohhh... I like that notion. A lot! <G>

Yeadon
05-27-2014, 11:52 PM
I think the new banner really classes up the place. It looks like the little sailboat is trying to get away as fast as it can.

Gerarddm
05-28-2014, 12:38 AM
Nah, she would be rail down with a bone in her teeth.

The Bigfella
05-28-2014, 06:43 PM
I signed up. Its too hit and miss in Oz, trying to find WB in newsagents.

skuthorp
05-28-2014, 07:24 PM
I order mine through our local newsagent/post office/store. We are a small community, and it's use it or loose it.

brucemoffatt
05-30-2014, 05:12 PM
Not sure if the rate reduction works for Aussies. I just recently bought a gift subscription for a friend's 60th birthday. Being very cash challenged at the moment I don't have a subscription myself (shame face) so I thought I'd get in on a rate reduction when the banner came up. Despite the offer code being used, the rate was exactly the same as the pre-offer rate that I got the gift subscription at. Maybe the gift subscription came at a reduction somehow. ??

Willin'
06-01-2014, 06:43 PM
I'm just wondering if us long term subscribers will get a refund if the new offered rate beats what we already paid?

Carl?

Yeadon
06-01-2014, 07:14 PM
This category should be the place where forum changes are announced, explained, etc. But then I remember that this is the WBF.

StevenBauer
06-01-2014, 07:36 PM
Quite the puzzle, I agree. The rate seems the same whether you click the banner or just go to the subscription page. Shouldn't there be some indication somewhere of just what the discount is?

Steven

Scot
06-02-2014, 11:47 AM
The reduction is the savings for subscribing instead of buying from the newsstand.
In the US, you save $9.70 per year with a 1 year sub, $12.20 a year for a 2 year sub, and $13.37 a year for a 3 year sub.
And yes, that's the same price as the standard subscription rate.

-Scot

Paul Pless
06-02-2014, 11:59 AM
That's not much of a discount. I hoping for something based on post count. . . :D

Scot
06-02-2014, 12:03 PM
Does that mean your asking for a POST reduction?

Canoez
06-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Does that mean your asking for a POST reduction?

.:d.

Paul Pless
06-02-2014, 12:13 PM
cute. . .

StevenBauer
06-02-2014, 08:20 PM
Well, I don't think I'll be resubscribing through the website. If I re-up at the Maine Boatbuilder's Show I get a free WB hat and if I re-up at the WBShow in Mystic I get a $10 cash rebate. With the big new banner I thought there was some sort of special deal for Forum visitors.

Steven

jsjpd1
06-02-2014, 08:43 PM
That's the way I read it too. Not that it matters to me, I'm already paid a few years ahead.

Jim

Yeadon
06-02-2014, 11:49 PM
The reduction is the savings for subscribing instead of buying from the newsstand.
In the US, you save $9.70 per year with a 1 year sub, $12.20 a year for a 2 year sub, and $13.37 a year for a 3 year sub.
And yes, that's the same price as the standard subscription rate.

-Scot

Wait ... so it says "Rate Reduction for forum visitors" but there's no actual rate reduction over and beyond any normal standard subscription price? I think you have a problem here. I have my doubts that WoodenBoat is trying to fleece anyone here, but your marketing copy above does't align with what the actual deal ends up to be.

This is misleading. I'd fix this.

J.Madison
06-02-2014, 11:56 PM
That's not a rate reduction for forum visitors. Thats the same rate as any subscriber. Kind of low-brow for a classy place. I hope you give it a rethink.

Paul Pless
06-03-2014, 09:56 AM
Well, I don't think I'll be resubscribing through the website. If I re-up at the Maine Boatbuilder's Show I get a free WB hat and if I re-up at the WBShow in Mystic I get a $10 cash rebate. With the big new banner I thought there was some sort of special deal for Forum visitors.

Stevenwait, you mean your wife doesn't automatically renew your subscription for you when necessary???

StevenBauer
06-03-2014, 10:49 AM
wait, you mean your wife doesn't automatically renew your subscription for you when necessary???

Back in the day the inlaws used to give me a subscription for my birthday. Those were the days. :)

Captain Intrepid
06-03-2014, 10:14 PM
Wait ... so it says "Rate Reduction for forum visitors" but there's no actual rate reduction over and beyond any normal standard subscription price? I think you have a problem here. I have my doubts that WoodenBoat is trying to fleece anyone here, but your marketing copy above does't align with what the actual deal ends up to be.

This is misleading. I'd fix this.

Indeed, I found it rather misleading as well. As someone who doesn't have a huge amount of disposable income at the moment, I was quite excited at the prospect of a discount over the usual subscription rates.

I'd suggest changing it as well, simply to avoid confusion and disappointment in potential subscribers.

Bobby of Tulsa
06-04-2014, 12:21 PM

This is misleading. I'd fix this. I find it an out right lie. Why mince words

Yeadon
06-04-2014, 12:56 PM
It's just sloppy copywriting. I get what they were trying to say, but the execution didn't quite line up with the actual offer. In turn, people feel mislead after they click through.

Just for fun, anybody want to take a shot at rewriting the promo banner above? It'll have to be pretty short to fit the spot. If you wanted you could also explore other benefits additional to a cost reduction.

Bobby of Tulsa
06-04-2014, 01:11 PM
Reduced rate for subscribers over news stand price. Kinda simple really.

Bobby of Tulsa
06-04-2014, 01:13 PM
Even this stupid Okie knows how to tell the truth.

Yeadon
06-04-2014, 01:14 PM
I like the clarity. It also tells the reader what to expect if they click through. Nice. But it's a bit too long. It also needs a prompt or call to action. "Learn more" or "Subscribe" would work.

jgjones
06-04-2014, 01:38 PM
"Subscribe and SAVE!" is the typical phrase.

Yeadon
06-04-2014, 01:41 PM
"Subscribe and SAVE!" is the typical phrase.

This succinct phrase would be more accurate than the current offer described above. It also fits the space available. A solid effort from the forumite from Olympia.

Bobby of Tulsa
06-04-2014, 02:44 PM
I like the clarity. It also tells the reader what to expect if they click through. Nice. But it's a bit too long. It also needs a prompt or call to action. "Learn more" or "Subscribe" would work.Ya, mine does makem look bad don't it. Truth in advertising, I heard that some where. Moral high ground and all that BS.

Yeadon
06-05-2014, 10:43 PM
This thread should get a sticky.

Breakaway
06-05-2014, 11:13 PM
Quite the puzzle, I agree. The rate seems the same whether you click the banner or just go to the subscription page. Shouldn't there be some indication somewhere of just what the discount is?

It could be that the software recognizes forum members and only alllows us to see one rate, regardless of where we call it up ( go to and see it). That way they can avoid...

I'm just wondering if us long term subscribers will get a refund if the new offered rate beats what we already paid?

Kevin

Breakaway
06-05-2014, 11:16 PM

It could be that the software recognizes forum members and only alllows us to see one rate, regardless of where we call it up ( go to and see it). That way they can avoid...

Kevin

Yeadon
06-05-2014, 11:19 PM
You can say that again.

Canoeyawl
06-06-2014, 12:42 AM
Perhaps "One year subscription for the price of six issues?"

Scot
06-06-2014, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the input, folks. That helped get it changed.

-Scot

Paul Pless
06-06-2014, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the input, folks. That helped get it changed.

-Scotdon't mention it, it was nothing really. . .:D

Peter Gottlund
06-06-2014, 07:09 PM
Whoa! Whoa! I said Whoa!
The banner ad says "Save Time and Money"!
Once again, what does this mean?
If you haven't followed this little thread, not anything.
The "WBF Copywriters Group," for its diligence deserves more. Like...

40th ANNIVERSARY
WOODENBOAT
FORUM MEMBERS
SPECIAL!
Reduced Digital Subscription Rate!

The Administrator could have a POST for such. I have no idea how it would work. Someone does.
Mostly, we subscribe. I do.
Throw us a bone!:rolleyes:

(and Steven Bauer deserves to get a new hat, too)